Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Using a short flange focus distance on a digital reflex in L
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 12:16 pm    Post subject: Using a short flange focus distance on a digital reflex in L Reply with quote

I wonder if anyone ever tried to use a rf style lens with a short flange focal distance on a reflex camera using Live View, so with mirror up.

Possibly by implementing some trick to deceive the electronics, some diy adapter etc.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some SLRs flip the mirror down in live view before taking the shot. not good if you've managed to get a rangefinder lens far enough into the mount to work!
Using those lenses for macro is of course an option even without the need for live view.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I doubt it could be done, as DConvert says the mirror flips down before the shutter operates. You wouldn't get much inside a DSLR anyway.

You would have to manage to fit it inside the body of the camera, somehow fix it there, then how are you supposed to focus it or operate the aperture?

I don't think you've really thought it through very well

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2020 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Live view stays on on my cameras.

My kind of lenses would be old home movie projection lenses. I have one and it fits, rf ones are too large.

I could use just the center of the image given the small circle of confusion.

The only fear I have is that of putting the rear of the lens so close to the sensor, a possible source of dirt given that all these movie lenses are old. I have one that fits well,I tried yesterday, it is f 1.2 so I could try some bokeh effect.

I'm not sure it is safe to keep it so close as the adaptor should be well made to avoid incidents.

Maybe I wil have one made by 3D printing but I feel I should be careful

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2020 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go for it! Smile

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before mirrorless full frame cameras were available some people taped their Canon 5D II mirrors in the up position or even removed them to use weird lenses like the Nikon F mount version of the Voigtlaender 15mm f/4.5. So it can be done, not sure whether it is to be recommended though.

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Relay lens system, but it inverts the image upside down. Done that, not really useful.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 6:24 pm    Post subject: Yes Reply with quote

I'm unsure what you actually mean.

I have a Staebel Telexon 135 / 3.8 with an M39 mount which I believe was designed for a range finder (I don't know which), and with adapters, it works on my DSLR (Pentax K-1), but I don't get infinity focus due to the longer Flange Focal Distance of Pentax bodies. The lens does not interfere with the mirror.

I also have a Steinheil Cassarit 45 / 2.8 with an M39 mount which was designed for a Braun Paxette -- but one with an uncoupled range finder. It _does_ interfere with the mirror on my K-1, but with adapters I can use it just fine in Live View -- again, without infinity focus.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 6:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Yes Reply with quote

Dustylens wrote:
I'm unsure what you actually mean.

I have a Staebel Telexon 135 / 3.8 with an M39 mount which I believe was designed for a range finder (I don't know which), and with adapters, it works on my DSLR (Pentax K-1), but I don't get infinity focus due to the longer Flange Focal Distance of Pentax bodies. The lens does not interfere with the mirror.

I also have a Steinheil Cassarit 45 / 2.8 with an M39 mount which was designed for a Braun Paxette -- but one with an uncoupled range finder. It _does_ interfere with the mirror on my K-1, but with adapters I can use it just fine in Live View -- again, without infinity focus.

Welcome Dustylens

Point is cannot achieve infinity focus without mirror interference due t short flange length required.