Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

CZJ Pancolar 1.8/50 capturing night lights
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2021 3:23 am    Post subject: CZJ Pancolar 1.8/50 capturing night lights Reply with quote

Here goes a follow up of the discussion on Yashica ML 1.4/50 performance at night. This time I took the famous Carl Zeiss Jena Pancolar 1.8/50 and put it on the same Sony Nex-5. This one is a newer (not zebra) version of the lens, still without MC indication on the beauty ring.

The lens has two intermediate clicks of the diaphragm in between f1.8 and f2.8. The following shots are taken with one or the other, presumably around f2.2 and f2.5 (?). All at ISO 800. Exposure and contrast of the shots are tweaked with simple adjustment of rulers, in order to better balance the images in the given light conditions. This way saturation is stronger in some shots (like #1) and lowered in some others (#3) to neutralize yellow cast.

The places are not precisely the same as taken with Yashica, so this is less a test in strict terms, although it gives an idea. Pancolar seems to stay pretty well for contarsty scenes and stray urban lights. It has less CAs than Yashica with slightly closed diaphragm and a more moderate but very pleasant colour rendition.

#1 With PP exposure compensation strongly lit spots do not look washed out (not too much, still Yashica's multicoating gives a better control of light contrasts)

#2 Coloured lights look rather natural for such a situation, given that some 50s react with more abberations

#3 The lens behaves well with artificial light

#4 Direct xenon lights do not give strong fringing, even if there is a moderate inclination towards red halos, though nothing comparable to chromatic fireworks produced by Rollei Planar 1.8/50 on Sony Nex

#5 Simple BW conversion looks rather convincing, making more visible the sharpness of the lens

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2021 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I own the zebra version, and I like it very much, even with its yellowing. A bit harsh rendering, but a strong performer anyway

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2021 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting, I never thought of Pancolar as of a harsh lens.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2021 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 Like 1

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2021 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alex ph wrote:
Interesting, I never thought of Pancolar as of a harsh lens.

Well, I do not mean a wild horse like the Biotar/Helios, but not even on the silky-smooth side like a Planar or similar. I am thinking essentially about bokeh, of course.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2021 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a zebra version of the 1.8 and it unfortunately suffers from "CZJ grease" quite stiff and inonsistent focus throw so a bit of a pain to use, but i always love the images it creates. Someday I may dismantle and relube the thing.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2021 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, Uddhava!

Ultrapix, I don't have a fresh shot which would target bokeh better than that. In general, I find Pancolar's OOF rendering neutrally pleasing, both in zebra and newer versions.

Jamaeolus, I had a similar issue in one of my lenses. I lubed it without dismantling, just put a drop of grease with help of a toothpick and then rotated the focus ring 30-40 times. That worked as a temporary solution.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2021 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alex ph wrote:
Thank you, Uddhava!

Ultrapix, I don't have a fresh shot which would target bokeh better than that. In general, I find Pancolar's OOF rendering neutrally pleasing, both in zebra and newer versions.

Jamaeolus, I had a similar issue in one of my lenses. I lubed it without dismantling, just put a drop of grease with help of a toothpick and then rotated the focus ring 30-40 times. That worked as a temporary solution.

When I bought my first one, I had some time and made a comparison with a Summicron R first version. The Pancolar was noticeably sharper at the edges, at wider apertures, but at the same time the Leica's sharp/unsharp transitions were more gradual and natural. All this, however, is accentuated at the edges (I think it's related to spherical aberration correction), and if you shoot with APS it's easy to smooth out the differences.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2021 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might be right, I tend to forget about the FF/APS-C difference after the shots are taken, and never tested intentionally this difference for in- to out-focus transitions.

I found an older shot snapped with zebra version Pancolar on Sony A7. It's not the best illustration of in-to-out of focus interplay, as it gives a more conventional idea of background bokeh (uncertain if it was WO). There still seems to be a pretty homogenious OOF character through the frame.