Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Contaflex Pro-Tessar 4/115
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2021 9:12 pm    Post subject: Contaflex Pro-Tessar 4/115 Reply with quote

Hi,
do you have an idea how to adapt this lens on a mirrorless camera (I own a Z6)?
What do you think of this lens?

Thanks.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2021 9:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Contaflex Pro-Tessar 4/115 Reply with quote

wolan wrote:
Hi,

Thanks.

The Pro-Tessar alone doesn't work. You also need the part of the lens that remains on the camera. I don't know if a modification is possible to use it, but in any case there is not much to expect from an optical system so limited by various compromises.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need to purchase a Zeiss Contaflex camera with a 50/2.8 lens (not the one with a 45mm) and remove the base lens/shutter assembly and adapt it to your mirrorless camera of choice. There are a few tutorials online showing how to do it.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like someone appreciates it https://theothersideofbokeh.wordpress.com/2018/06/15/a-full-set-of-zeiss-lenses-for-100-euros-or-100-dollars-contaflex-pro-tessars/#more-2476

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ultrapix wrote:
It looks like someone appreciates it https://theothersideofbokeh.wordpress.com/2018/06/15/a-full-set-of-zeiss-lenses-for-100-euros-or-100-dollars-contaflex-pro-tessars/#more-2476

The examples given in the post look great. It's interesting how a set of "combined" lenses may outperform many of meticulously "dedicated" ones of the same era.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alex ph wrote:
Ultrapix wrote:

The examples given in the post look great. It's interesting how a set of "combined" lenses may outperform many of meticulously "dedicated" ones of the same era.

Yes, but you have to be forgiving about distorsion and out-of-center sharpness...

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With closed iris (?) the lenses seem to render sharp corners, like in this example

Is not it about field curvature and focusing on items placed in the cornerns?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking at the grain of the plaster of the green house, which is all at roughly the same distance, you can see that it is only rendered correctly in the middle; at the same time the foreground, which is much closer, is sharp at the edges, so yes, it is a problem of field flatness.

However, let's be realistic: you have to buy a camera and an additional lens; you have to destroy the first one and adapt it through a helicoid (to be bought), all this for a so-so rendering, is it worth it?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ultrapix wrote:
However, let's be realistic: you have to buy a camera and an additional lens; you have to destroy the first one and adapt it through a helicoid (to be bought), all this for a so-so rendering, is it worth it?

In some cases the pleasure consists exactly in that: destroying and recreating smth. In general, one of the attractive features that MF lenses offer over AF lenses/cameras is that operating the first takes longer than just a click. You need to focus, to change for another one, to know which adapter to use, or how to construct an adapter from rings and detachable helicoid. So, using Pro-Tessars may be just another step in the way of such pleasure. Each time you make a bit longer the path from the primitive impetus to shoot to the final image.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alex ph wrote:
Ultrapix wrote:

In some cases the pleasure consists exactly in that: destroying and recreating smth. In general, one of the attractive features that MF lenses offer over AF lenses/cameras is that operating the first takes longer than just a click. You need to focus, to change for another one, to know which adapter to use, or how to construct an adapter from rings and detachable helicoid. So, using Pro-Tessars may be just another step in the way of such pleasure. Each time you make a bit longer the path from the primitive impetus to shoot to the final image.

Like 1

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2021 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ultrapix wrote:
alex ph wrote:
Ultrapix wrote:

Like 1

In my terms (YMMV) the intense concentration that using m/f lenses provides is something else entirely. Wink
I enjoy it immensely...

-D.S.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2021 2:25 am    Post subject: Re: Contaflex Pro-Tessar 4/115 Reply with quote

wolan wrote:
Hi,

Thanks.

Hi Wolan,

In case you still interest. I've managed to convert those Contaflex lens to M42 and eventually mounted on the Sony NEX with a adjustable FFD M42 to FE Mount
So, I think it's possible for Z6.

Will open a post and share some info when I got some spare time

I know Photo is better than text sometime Very Happy

No ideas why the img tag seems not working. In case you can't view the photo, copy and paste the Link.....
Quote:
http:// forum.mflenses.com/userpix/202110/11942_WhatsApp_Image_20211006_at_101058_AM_1.jpg

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2021 10:28 am    Post subject: Re: Contaflex Pro-Tessar 4/115 Reply with quote

mp9sit wrote:
wolan wrote:
Hi,

Thanks.

Hi Wolan,

In case you still interest. I've managed to convert those Contaflex lens to M42 and eventually mounted on the Sony NEX with a adjustable FFD M42 to FE Mount
So, I think it's possible for Z6.

Will open a post and share some info when I got some spare time

I know Photo is better than text sometime Very Happy

No ideas why the img tag seems not working. In case you can't view the photo, copy and paste the Link.....
Quote:
http:// forum.mflenses.com/userpix/202110/11942_WhatsApp_Image_20211006_at_101058_AM_1.jpg

Images on your first post will not show, a security feature

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 12:54 am    Post subject: Re: Contaflex Pro-Tessar 4/115 Reply with quote

Slalom wrote:

Images on your first post will not show, a security feature

Oh I see, that's the reason why Laugh 1