Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

My little collection
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice collection of lenses!
Another nice and not so big 200mm lens is the Canon nFD f4,
if you are ever in the market for a 200.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

uddhava wrote:
Another nice and not so big 200mm lens is the Canon nFD f4,
if you are ever in the market for a 200.

FDn 200/4 is also very well balanced.
Usually lenses of this weight and length seriously suck when it comes to carrying them around, but this is an exception.

Cons: resolution is just Ok, focus ring is ridiculously light with zero resistance.
AFAIK it was the first (or one of the) Canon's IF lens, and they went a bit crazy, pushing just how light the focus can possibly be to the limit.

If you want a "walkaround" 200/4, this lens is pretty good.
I love Canon for going out their way to squeeze the lens within 52mm filter thread.

If weight is not an issue, there are sharper options, I believe.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/curry-hexagon/albums/72157678470976188

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:57 am    Post subject: Re: My little collection Reply with quote

TurtleSkinny wrote:
This is my small collection of lenses that I use with my Fuji X-T20, all the lenses I bought on ebay. I'm glad if you write your opinion on the lenses, the ones you have and know.

RMC Tokina 17 mm f/3.5
    Olympus OM Zuiko MC Auto-W 24 mm f/2.8
    SMC Pentax-A 28 mm f/2.8
    Minolta MC-X W.Rokkor 35 mm f/2.8
    Minolta MC-I W.Rokkor 35 mm f/1.8
    SMC Pentax-M 50 mm f/1.7
    Vivitar MC Macro 55 mm f/2.8
    Minolta MC-II Rokkor 58 mm f/1.4
    Rolleinar MC 85 mm f/2.8
    Olympus OM Zuiko Auto-T 100 mm f/2.8
    Minolta MC-X Tele Rokkor 135 mm f/2.8
    Tokina SD 400 mm f/5.6

From this list I've had a Minolta MC-II Rokkor 58 mm f/1.4, which I was disappointed with, but not everyone agrees with me on this.
Vivitar 55mm F2.8 Auto Macro, which is the most mechanically satisfying lens I've ever had. Mr. Komine was able to outsmith all competition.
And Olympus OM-System E.Zuiko Auto-T 100mm F2.8, which I very much enjoy to this day despite some shortcomings.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

uddhava wrote:

Thanks!

uddhava wrote:
Another nice and not so big 200mm lens is the Canon nFD f4

aidaho wrote:

Thanks, if in the future I decide to buy a 200mm I will evaluate the Canon Wink

aidaho wrote:
Olympus OM-System E.Zuiko Auto-T 100mm F2.8, which I very much enjoy to this day despite some shortcomings.

What shortcomings are you talking about?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the subject of 200mm lenses there is always the Vivitar Series 1, 200mm f/3.0. It's not lightweight, but it is a joy to handle. (my opinion anyway)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TurtleSkinny wrote:

aidaho wrote:
Olympus OM-System E.Zuiko Auto-T 100mm F2.8, which I very much enjoy to this day despite some shortcomings.

Chromatic aberrations are not very well corrected and corner resolution is never quite there, if you want to use it for a landscape.
It seems you are using APS-C body, so the last point does not apply to you.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aidaho wrote:
TurtleSkinny wrote:

aidaho wrote:

Chromatic aberrations are not very well corrected and corner resolution is never quite there, if you want to use it for a landscape.

As mentioned before in this thread, there is a big difference in image quality between early and later models of the OM 100/2.8.
As an illustration, here is an image of the Southern Cross (1 second exposure) from a couple of days ago using a later model 100/2.8, admittedly on a 4/3 system.
Pin-point stars are one of the harshest tests of a lens. And in this example, flaring on the bright stars, otherwise negligible coma or CA.
[img]

[/img]

Last edited by 3dpan on Wed Jan 22, 2020 1:42 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aidaho wrote:

That's right, my evaluation of the lenses is different from the results on full frame.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

3dpan wrote:

As mentioned before in this thread, there is a big difference in image quality between early and later models of the OM 100/2.8.
As an illustration, here is an image of the Southern Cross (1 second exposure) from a couple of days ago using a later model 100/2.8, admittedly on a 4/3 system.
Pin-point stars are one of the harshest tests of a lens. And in this example, flaring on the bright stars, otherwise negligible coma or CA.

AFAIK there were two computations of 100/2.8. I have a later one, just not with the latest coatings.
I haven't said anything about coma, but cropping from the center is not a valid way to judge coma.

I have to disagree with you on CA.
Poor CA correction is something most compact 100mm share between them.
It's a bit tough to find a shot I haven't corrected in post, but here is one with axial CA:

As for your example, I'm not really proficient in astrophotography, but I have a test shot from another lens infinity tuning, and comparatively speaking, lateral CA in your shot does not look good to me.

Shots are full-size 36Mp FF, zoom in.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aidaho wrote:

Usually lenses of this weight and length seriously suck when it comes to carrying them around, but this is an exception.

Cons: resolution is just Ok, focus ring is ridiculously light with zero resistance.
AFAIK it was the first (or one of the) Canon's IF lens, and they went a bit crazy, pushing just how light the focus can possibly be to the limit.

If you want a "walkaround" 200/4, this lens is pretty good.
I love Canon for going out their way to squeeze the lens within 52mm filter thread.

If weight is not an issue, there are sharper options, I believe.

My 1979 copy is actually quite sharp even wide open:

CA are a bit of a problem wide open, but they are pretty much gone by f/5.6 on APS-C.
That focus ring is ridiculous indeed.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alex TG wrote:

My 1979 copy is actually quite sharp even wide open

I haven't claimed it to be unsharp, just Ok. Enough, but nothing to be excited about.
In other words, it just does not possess the resolution punch found in the FDn lineage (50/1.4, 35/2, etc)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another vote for the Nikon 180. I just got one after watching auctions for several months. I have only used it a few times but I can tell from the magnification in the EVF on my sony a7rii that it is going to be great. The comparison done by stevemark was all I needed to start looking. I haven't had any nice weather to give it a good chance but I am anxious to give it a good go.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aidaho wrote:

I haven't claimed it to be unsharp, just Ok. Enough, but nothing to be excited about.
In other words, it just does not possess the resolution punch found in the FDn lineage (50/1.4, 35/2, etc)

My FDn 50/1.4 isn't that sharp Smile
Probably there's a lot of copy to copy variation among those FDns.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alex TG wrote:
aidaho wrote:

My FDn 50/1.4 isn't that sharp Smile
Probably there's a lot of copy to copy variation among those FDns.

Hey guys, someone here is calling FDn 50/1.4 unsharp. Bring out the pitchforks! Laugh 1

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alex TG wrote:
That focus ring is ridiculous indeed.

The focus ring of my RMC Tokina 17mm f/3.5 is not good, It is probably the mechanically cheapest lens in my small collection, luckily I like the photos I get with him.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about FD 50/1.4 s.s.c. ?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jamaeolus wrote:
Another vote for the Nikon 180. I just got one after watching auctions for several months. I have only used it a few times but I can tell from the magnification in the EVF on my sony a7rii that it is going to be great. The comparison done by stevemark was all I needed to start looking. I haven't had any nice weather to give it a good chance but I am anxious to give it a good go.

Like 1 small

I wouldn't say it's too heavy, either. The wonderful ergonomics are one of my favorite things about that lens. It's subjective, I know, but it's hard for me to imagine anyone not liking the "feel" of it.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2020 12:07 pm    Post subject: Re: My little collection Reply with quote

TurtleSkinny wrote:
This is my small collection of lenses that I use with my Fuji X-T20, all the lenses I bought on ebay. I'm glad if you write your opinion on the lenses, the ones you have and know.

RMC Tokina 17 mm f/3.5
    Olympus OM Zuiko MC Auto-W 24 mm f/2.8
    SMC Pentax-A 28 mm f/2.8
    Minolta MC-X W.Rokkor 35 mm f/2.8
    Minolta MC-I W.Rokkor 35 mm f/1.8
    SMC Pentax-M 50 mm f/1.7
    Vivitar MC Macro 55 mm f/2.8
    Minolta MC-II Rokkor 58 mm f/1.4
    Rolleinar MC 85 mm f/2.8
    Olympus OM Zuiko Auto-T 100 mm f/2.8
    Minolta MC-X Tele Rokkor 135 mm f/2.8
    Tokina SD 400 mm f/5.6

I have the SMC Pentax-M 50 mm f/1.7

It is a beautiful lens , looks nice and retro too. I put it on my Sony A6000.

I am a street photographer, taking photos of strangers ( i ask permission ) . I've had some good portraits with it . I quite like f5.6 , they are pin sharp at that aperture .

My collection of nifty fifty primes is a bit obsessive .

Enjoy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2020 12:31 pm    Post subject: Re: My little collection Reply with quote

bwfcnottingham wrote:
I have the SMC Pentax-M 50 mm f/1.7
It is a beautiful lens , looks nice and retro too. I put it on my Sony A6000.
I am a street photographer, taking photos of strangers ( i ask permission ) . I've had some good portraits with it . I quite like f5.6 , they are pin sharp at that aperture .

I have often preferred this lens rather than the Minolta 58 mm f/1.4.
For portraits, however, I prefer the Olympus OM 100 mm f / 2.8 and the latest purchase, the Rolleinar 85 mm f / 2.8.

bwfcnottingham wrote:
My collection of nifty fifty primes is a bit obsessive .

I hope to save myself Laugh 1