Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

My little collection
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TurtleSkinny wrote:
Did you use it with digital cameras? Apsc or full frame? How do you rate it?

No, I never got to use it - I didn't have an appropriate adapter for any of my cameras and it sat on the shelf for half a year. And then I needed money and with no adapter in sight I decided to let my SX's go.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gardener wrote:
No, I never got to use it

I understand, thanks anyway Wink

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

An excellent collection! ! I have many of these. A very capable and practical cross section IMHO. All the ones listed that I have, are what I would call excellent value. Top quality optical equipment at very good price,

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

papasito wrote:

Not exactly the same for all the versions.

Perhaps you like the folowing site

https://elektrotanya.com/showresult.

Sure you know it yet.

That link didn't open for me.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

papasito wrote:
Oldhand wrote:
3dpan wrote:
There may only be four variations, and quoting from a post on another forum,

First batch: Silver nose lenses, x.Zuiko markings (where x = a letter that counts the number of lens elements, e.g. E.Zuiko). No coatings. Softest copies, will flare the most.
Second batch: Black nose lenses, x.Zuiko markings. Single coatings. Somewhat improved from silver nose lenses.
Third batch: x.Zuiko + MC markings. Multi coatings. Significant improvement in detail over older lenses.
Fourth batch: Zuiko marking (no MC mark, no letter in front of "Zuiko"). Newer multi coatings. The best optical performers.

And that applies generally to all OM lenses.

Cheers, Alec

Interestingly, it seems that this lens has exactly the same optical formula for all versions.
The only differences noted are in the coatings.
Tom

Sure you know it yet.

No, I cannot get that site to open.
According to this reference, there is essentially only one optical design for this lens. The other might be the 100mm f2 which is of course different
http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/hardwares/classics/olympusom1n2/shared/zuiko/htmls/100mm1.htm

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 6:39 am    Post subject: OM lens date codes Reply with quote

For anyone with an OM lens in their collection, or anyone else who might be interested, here is a webpage explaining how to decipher those seemingly random alphanumeric codes,

https://translate.google.co.nz/translate?hl=en&sl=ja&u=http://www.asahi-net.or.jp/~RN6H-IMI/&prev=search

and select the option "OM mount lens"
then "OM Zuiko Date code mystery"

Cheers to all, Alec

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 10:37 am    Post subject: Re: OM lens date codes Reply with quote

3dpan wrote:
For anyone with an OM lens in their collection, or anyone else who might be interested, here is a webpage explaining how to decipher those seemingly random alphanumeric codes

Interesting, thank you Friends

jamaeolus wrote:
An excellent collection! ! I have many of these. A very capable and practical cross section IMHO. All the ones listed that I have, are what I would call excellent value. Top quality optical equipment at very good price,

If I tell you to choose three, which lenses do you choose? Smile

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldhand wrote:
papasito wrote:
Oldhand wrote:
3dpan wrote:

First batch: Silver nose lenses, x.Zuiko markings (where x = a letter that counts the number of lens elements, e.g. E.Zuiko). No coatings. Softest copies, will flare the most.
Second batch: Black nose lenses, x.Zuiko markings. Single coatings. Somewhat improved from silver nose lenses.
Third batch: x.Zuiko + MC markings. Multi coatings. Significant improvement in detail over older lenses.
Fourth batch: Zuiko marking (no MC mark, no letter in front of "Zuiko"). Newer multi coatings. The best optical performers.

Cheers, Alec

Interestingly, it seems that this lens has exactly the same optical formula for all versions.
Tom

Sure you know it yet.

No, I cannot get that site to open.
According to this reference, there is essentially only one optical design for this lens. The other might be the 100mm f2 which is of course different
http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/hardwares/classics/olympusom1n2/shared/zuiko/htmls/100mm1.htm

The site has the catálog number of each element of all the 50 mm versions
Sometimes there are the same in the two first versions
From the third version the elements are different.
That is, different elements, different glasses, different lenses.
The last versión scheme is 6/4, the first os 6/5.

Last edited by papasito on Sat Jan 18, 2020 7:19 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 6:05 pm    Post subject: Re: OM lens date codes Reply with quote

TurtleSkinny wrote:
3dpan wrote:
For anyone with an OM lens in their collection, or anyone else who might be interested, here is a webpage explaining how to decipher those seemingly random alphanumeric codes

Interesting, thank you Friends

jamaeolus wrote:

If I tell you to choose three, which lenses do you choose? Smile

What ami I doing with these three? Use case makes a big difference in lens selection. Headed out to take landscape? Tokina 17 an oly 24 throw in the vivitar macro just in case. Taking photos of a pretty young woman.? Rolleinar. Oly 100 and rokkor 58 1.4. Birding? Longest FL three lenses. I do not have that 17mm tokina. How do you like it? Legacy WA lenses are a bit troublesome. Good ones tend to be very expensive.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 6:40 pm    Post subject: Re: OM lens date codes Reply with quote

jamaeolus wrote:
What ami I doing with these three?

The sense of the question was this: go to a desert island and you can only hold three lenses ...
For sure we exclude portrait lenses, no beautiful girl is on the desert island Very Happy

jamaeolus wrote:
I do not have that 17mm tokina. How do you like it? Legacy WA lenses are a bit troublesome. Good ones tend to be very expensive.

Photography is a hobby for me and I certainly don't have the experience of many of you with vintage lenses, I'm a novice.
Among the WA lenses I usually prefer the 24mm on the APSC but lately I have started to appreciate the 17mm for taking pictures in the narrow streets of the Tuscan villages. I use the hyperfocal a lot and the lens is sharp and with very little distortion.
I read very positive and other negative comments about this lens online, maybe the quality is variable or expectations vary.
With all the lenses I use the lens hood, of course.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

papasito wrote:
Oldhand wrote:
3dpan wrote:

Cheers, Alec

Tom

Sure you know it yet.

Thanks, I didn't know it! Here's the corrected link, I think. https://elektrotanya.com/olympus_100mm_f2.8_exploded_parts_diagram.pdf/download.html

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 9:09 pm    Post subject: Re: My little collection Reply with quote

TurtleSkinny wrote:
I'm glad if you write your opinion on the lenses, the ones you have and know.

I'm a Fuji X-T2 shooter, and I I own quite a few lenses, but not one of the ones in your list. That's interesting.

If money is an issue, you should try estate sales, garage sales, and that sort of thing. Often you can find great lenses ultra cheap. Plus it's much more fun to find them that way than buying from ebay.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 10:54 pm    Post subject: Re: My little collection Reply with quote

KEO wrote:
I'm a Fuji X-T2 shooter

The Fuji X-T2 is beautiful Surprised

KEO wrote:
If money is an issue, you should try estate sales, garage sales, and that sort of thing.

Of course, what you say is correct.
I bought on Ebay to have more choices and to buy lenses in excellent condition. This certainly made me spend something more, but I always looked for the right opportunity.
Now I have all the focal lengths that I need and therefore I don't need to buy other lenses Wink

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 12:10 am    Post subject: Re: My little collection Reply with quote

TurtleSkinny wrote:
Now I have all the focal lengths that I need and therefore I don't need to buy other lenses Wink

Ha! That's what I used to say!

Still, it's good to keep an eye out at sales. You never know what you might find...Nikon, Zeiss, Leica...

Besides, you don't have a 200mm in your list. Twisted Evil

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 11:06 am    Post subject: Re: My little collection Reply with quote

KEO wrote:
Still, it's good to keep an eye out at sales. You never know what you might find...Nikon, Zeiss, Leica...

If in a second-hand market I find a Leica lens at the price of 15 euros I will surely have no doubts on what to do Cool

KEO wrote:
Besides, you don't have a 200mm in your list. Twisted Evil

You are a nice bastard Neutral Wink
It's true, I don't have a 200mm, but you have to know that I bought the Tokina 400mm just because it was very cheap, I never use it. On APSC the 135mm/2.8 is already quite long and the dimensions are still acceptable on X-T20 (with additional camera handle).
Now I have to use what I own well.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am also a lowly amateur. But I take oodles of photos. I really enjoy it. I like trying new lenses. I have a few images selected as screensaver and I print a few of my very best on metal. A friend wanted a copy of my avatar photo on metal. It looked great at 24 inch by 36 inch. I do collect lenses though. I likely have nearly 600. I rationalize that if my stock portfolio tanks at least I can trade a lens or 2 for a meal.(hah!)... I try lots of things. Folder lenses, enlarger lenses, medium format lenses.

My desert island three, a really challenging task. Olympus om 24mm f2, contax zeiss 35mm 1.4, minolta md 100mm f2.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jamaeolus wrote:
I am also a lowly amateur. But I take oodles of photos. I really enjoy it. I like trying new lenses. I have a few images selected as screensaver and I print a few of my very best on metal.

The photos must be printed, I think this. I love digital cameras but photos don't have to remain digital.

jamaeolus wrote:
I do collect lenses though. I likely have nearly 600. [...] I try lots of things. Folder lenses, enlarger lenses, medium format lenses.

Wow! You have a museum at home! Shocked
How many years have you had this passion?

jamaeolus wrote:
My desert island three, a really challenging task. Olympus om 24mm f2, contax zeiss 35mm 1.4, minolta md 100mm f2.

I can understand how difficult it is for you Very Happy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 9:06 pm    Post subject: Re: My little collection Reply with quote

TurtleSkinny wrote:
It's true, I don't have a 200mm, but you have to know that I bought the Tokina 400mm just because it was very cheap, I never use it. On APSC the 135mm/2.8 is already quite long and the dimensions are still acceptable on X-T20 (with additional camera handle)..

I can understand not using the 400mm often (that's mostly a bird and other wildlife focal length), but I love shooting with 200mm lenses. It's the longest focal length I can shoot with handheld and do it comfortably.

I don't have as many lenses as jamaeolus, but I have quite a few. 200+, I would guess. They add up quickly when you buy a box of old camera junk for $30 and there are four lenses inside.

Like you I do not consider myself a collector though. I use all my lenses.

BTW, the lens that made me love 200s is the old 200mm Takumar f/3.5.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 2:41 pm    Post subject: Re: My little collection Reply with quote

KEO wrote:
[...] I love shooting with 200mm lenses. It's the longest focal length I can shoot with handheld and do it comfortably. [...]BTW, the lens that made me love 200s is the old 200mm Takumar f/3.5.

You are convincing me to buy another lens Mr. Green

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 6:30 pm    Post subject: Re: My little collection Reply with quote

KEO wrote:
[...] I love shooting with 200mm lenses. It's the longest focal length I can shoot with handheld and do it comfortably. [...]BTW, the lens that made me love 200s is the old 200mm Takumar f/3.5.

TurtleSkinny wrote:

As you can see here in my comparison the Minolta MD 200mm/F4 lens may be a very good option and is better, lighter and smaller than the Takumar: http://forum.mflenses.com/200mm-lens-comparison-leitz-minolta-topcon-pentax-t76831.html

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 7:10 pm    Post subject: Re: My little collection Reply with quote

tb_a wrote:
KEO wrote:

TurtleSkinny wrote:

As you can see here in my comparison the Minolta MD 200mm/F4 lens may be a very good option and is better, lighter and smaller than the Takumar: http://forum.mflenses.com/200mm-lens-comparison-leitz-minolta-topcon-pentax-t76831.html

"is better" than the oldest preset ASAHI "Takumar". The later Super-Takumar, etc., is not compared, unfortunately. (hint, hint Smile )

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 7:45 pm    Post subject: Re: My little collection Reply with quote

tb_a wrote:
As you can see here in my comparison the Minolta MD 200mm/F4 lens may be a very good option

Nice comparison, congratulations Wink
The 200mm Minolta isn't even expensive ...

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:16 pm    Post subject: Re: My little collection Reply with quote

tb_a wrote:

You should add an Orestegor 200 to the mix. I find the older 200s to excel at mid- to close- range.

Frankly, I don't often shoot my 200s anymore, because 9 times out of 10 I'll grab my awesome 180mm AiS Nikkor ED 2.8. I didn't think to suggest that one because Turtle is looking for low-cost, and the Nikkor is a bit expensive. It's absolutely worth it, however.

if Turtle has a hankering to spend more money on photography, I'd say he ought to get a speedlight before he gets any more lenses anyway. That's another discussion, however.

The Minolta 200 looks like a solid option, especially for someone who already has and uses a Minolta adapter.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 10:01 pm    Post subject: Re: My little collection Reply with quote

KEO wrote:
You should add an Orestegor 200 to the mix. I find the older 200s to excel at mid- to close- range.

Frankly, I don't often shoot my 200s anymore, because 9 times out of 10 I'll grab my awesome 180mm AiS Nikkor ED 2.8. I didn't think to suggest that one because Turtle is looking for low-cost, and the Nikkor is a bit expensive. It's absolutely worth it, however.

The Minolta 200 looks like a solid option, especially for someone who already has and uses a Minolta adapter.

Well, I definitely have already more lenses in the 200mm range than I will ever need hence there are no plans for any additional one. Furthermore lenses out of the GDR production times are on my blacklist as I have very bad experiences with stuck apertures and stiff focus rings. Most of them went to the garbage pin already.

The Minolta lens is definitely one of the best in this class and it's in comparison very small which makes it additionally interesting for outdoor adventures.
Your Nikon would be too heavy for my taste and that's also the reason why my excellent Minolta AF 80-200/2.8 APO zoom is collecting dust primarily. Wink

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my case a beautiful but uncomfortable lens is not useful, I chose a Fujifilm X-T20 because it is easy to put in any bag and I love the Pentax A / M and Olympus OM lenses for their small size. For the same reason I use more the Minolta 35mm/f2.8 than the 35mm/f1.8, to give an example.
The Minolta 200mm / f4 seems to have excellent optical qualities, it is not too big and the price is low. I don't buy it right away just because it is a focal length that I wouldn't use often and I don't want to slip into compulsive purchases. Now I have bought the Rolleinar MC 85 mm f / 2.8 and I want to play with it, learn how to get the best results etc.
However, I liked the 200mm comparison made by tb_a because I like to learn, in the future it can be useful.