Home
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Vivitar 75-205mm f/3.8 EDITED.
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:11 pm    Post subject: Vivitar 75-205mm f/3.8 EDITED. Reply with quote

I have bought a Vivitar series 1 135mm f/2.3 lens but the rubber band has to be replaced as it's broken and it died Sad.

So I am looking for a replacement rubber. And I think the cheapest and best fitting would be the rubber of a Vivitar 75-205mm f/3.8.

Edit: at first I had asked for the rubber of a 70-210 f/3.5 or that or a Vivitar 28-200mm f/3.5-5.3. But I know now that these rubbers are too wide).
The focusring of the Vivitar 135mm f/2.3 has a conical shape and this makes it somewhat more complicated to find a replacement rubber that fits.

If somebody has such a (broken) lens, or only the rubber of it, please let me know.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Lucse on Sun Jan 26, 2020 6:50 pm; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try a DIY tool like this:
https://www.benl.ebay.be/itm/Camera-Leather-Lens-type-4102-Matt-Black-250-265-mm-made-Japan-/252601938515?hash=item3ad03fb253

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Quidam. That looks to be the perfect pattern for the rubber that I need.
I can glue it onto a thin piece of rubber to make it into a ring.

A few months ago I did a lot of searching on the internet to find rubber that could be used on lenses but I did not find this seller.
So I assume he (and his material) showed up rather recently on eBay?

Edit: I doubt if this is the material that I need. They say that it's "synthetic Leather".
The band that I need to make has a conical shape though, so it must be possible to stretch that material.
I have written a mail to the seller to ask him if this "synthetic leather" is indeed stretchable, and if so how much.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

See pm.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 9:27 am    Post subject: Vivitar Series 1 70-210 mm f3.5 Zoom Pentax-P/K Mount Lens Reply with quote

Vivitar Series 1 70-210 mm f3.5 Zoom Pentax-P/K Mount Lens On Ebay

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vivitar-Series-1-70-210-mm-f3-5-Zoom-Pentax-P-K-Mount-Lens/274217176015?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 6:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Vivitar Series 1 70-210 mm f3.5 Zoom Pentax-P/K Mount Le Reply with quote

DanielAndrew wrote:
Vivitar Series 1 70-210 mm f3.5 Zoom Pentax-P/K Mount Lens On Ebay

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vivitar-Series-1-70-210-mm-f3-5-Zoom-Pentax-P-K-Mount-Lens/274217176015?

Thanks for the link.
But.... the lens that is offered is not a 70-210 f/3.5 (like it says in the title) but a 70-210 f/4.5. And the rubber of this lens has a diameter that is too small.
Besides that I live in Belgium (Europe) and this lens is sold on eBay-US. The starting price of this lens is 32,36 dollar. The shipping cost to Belgium is 54,65 dollars.
If I would buy this lens I would definitely have to pay import- and custom-fees (and the likes) as well. Because the customs pick out ALL the parcels coming from the US.
This would cost me around 50 dollars extra (or more)
So, if I would buy this lens (only to have the rubber band) it would cost me at least 137 dollar. And I still would not have a rubber band that fits on my Vivitar 135mm f/2.3.

But thanks for the link anyway Wink.

In the meanwhile I have found and bought a Vivitar Series 1 70-210mm f/3.5.
But...the rubber of this lens does not fit. Because of this I know now that I need a rubber with a diameter that is slightly less.
A Vivitar 75-250 f/3.8 would be perfect I think. But I will see which other Vivitar lenses could be used as well, because there probably are more lenses with this diameter (of the rubber).

I am getting there. With all the help of my friends here on MFlenses Smile.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometimes I get lucky Smile.

This evening I found a Vivitar 75-205mm f/3.8 with some issues on eBay.
I offered the seller to ship only the rubber-band to me for 15 Euro (shipping from Germany included), and he accepted.

This lens had a filter-diameter of 62mm. The rubber-band is about 1cm wider. So it should be around 72mm in diameter.
The (conical) rubber that I need should go from 73mm to 78mm. So theoretically the rubber that I bought now should fit.

The first rubber band that I tried came from a Vivitar Series 1 70-210mm f/3.5 and this lens has a filter-diameter of 67mm.
It was not a problem to make it strech so that it could fit over the broader side of the focus-ring, but it was to wide for the smaller side of that (conical) ring.
This new rubber will have to stretch half a centimeter more to fit on the broadest section of the focus-barrel, but I think (I hope) that it will not be a problem to stretch it that far.

Within a few days I will be able to tell if my assumptions about the stretching were legit... or not.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2020 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I received the rubber band. Well, as a matter of fact the seller shipped me the complete lens... which was a nice surprise Smile.
After cutting the rubber to size I put some silicone grease on the broadest half of the focus-ring and much to my surprise the rubber stretched rather easy, so it went on well.

I bought that Vivitar Series 1, 135mm f/2.3 on eBay for 70 Euro, shipping included. I spent 30 Euro on rubber bands to get the right one.
So now I got this marvelous lens, that looks close to new again, for 100 Euro. Plus 2 extra lenses with caps, rubbers and other spare parts.

All in all not such a bad deal.