Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Plaubel Makina 670
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2023 2:14 pm    Post subject: Plaubel Makina 670 Reply with quote

Hi , I've received this camera to have a look at it and test it ,but I've never shot this kind of camera before, so any help would be really appreciated .

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2023 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://butkus.org/chinon/makina/makina_670.htm

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2023 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, I've had a look on it before, but coming from the 35mm ,I wanted to know what difference might be on shooting.
By the way, would LR44 batteries work ,as the models from the manual ate outdated?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2023 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kiddo wrote:
Thank you, I've had a look on it before, but coming from the 35mm ,I wanted to know what difference might be on shooting.
By the way, would LR44 batteries work ,as the models from the manual ate outdated?

The difference depends on which 35mm camera(s) you're familiar with. Just play with your new toy. Dry shooting -- no film in camera -- should tell you what you'd like to know.

LR44 should fit but the Makina 670 wants silver oxide batteries, not alkaline. Try SR44.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2023 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i understand the dof on this camera is very thin , the lens would be like 42mm 1.4 in 35mm? shooting portraits inside would be so difficult?
thanks for the tip with the batteries, i have ordered a pack of 5

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2023 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm struggling with an issue with this camera.
The lens doesn't have the hood, so I need info about what should I look for ,as an optional third party hood, thanks.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2023 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kiddo wrote:
i understand the dof on this camera is very thin , the lens would be like 42mm 1.4 in 35mm? shooting portraits inside would be so difficult?
thanks for the tip with the batteries, i have ordered a pack of 5

Oh, dear. Depth of field is controlled by the circle of confusion chosen (acceptable blur), aperture (f/ number) set and magnification. Magnification depends on the lens' focal length and focused distance.

Look for a DoF calculator. There are many on line. Choose one and play with it.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2023 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I'm used to FF dof ,I've only thought in medium format would work different, as is my first time to shoot this format.
The dof app I'm using, doesn't support medium format ,could you recommend me one app that would be suitable for this format? Thanks
This body cones with fixed lens of 85mm Nikkor (I've read there are some that are using 50mmfocal length (

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2023 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kiddo wrote:
Well, I'm used to FF dof ,I've only thought in medium format would work different, as is my first time to shoot this format.
The dof app I'm using, doesn't support medium format ,could you recommend me one app that would be suitable for this format? Thanks
This body cones with fixed lens of 85mm Nikkor (I've read there are some that are using 50mmfocal length (

https://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials/dof-calculator.htm

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2023 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

visualopsins wrote:
kiddo wrote:

Thanks, i have installed lightmeter app on my phone, and introducing the same values on this app and the site you've indicated me, same values would give me different result of dof, so I guess one of them might be wrong.
I've used 85mm lens 2.8 aperture focusing at 3 meters away ,results are
Lightmeter dof 33cm
Cambridge in colour dof 47cm
Any thoughts about it?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2023 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kiddo wrote:
visualopsins wrote:
kiddo wrote:

Thanks, i have installed lightmeter app on my phone, and introducing the same values on this app and the site you've indicated me, same values would give me different result of dof, so I guess one of them might be wrong.
I've used 85mm lens 2.8 aperture focusing at 3 meters away ,results are
Lightmeter dof 33cm
Cambridge in colour dof 47cm
Any thoughts about it?

The calculators are using different COC values.

Click on "show advanced" at https://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials/dof-calculator.htm

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2023 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2023 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kiddo wrote:

Oh, dear, again. The only difference between formats with respect to DoF is the diameter of the circle of confusion used to calculate DoF. The theory is that larger formats have to be enlarged less than smaller ones so don't need as much sharpness. If your DoF app lets you set the coc, pick the one you think appropriate for your purposes. The smaller the coc, the narrower DoF, i.e., the narrower the zone of acceptable sharpness. That's all.

I've played with several DoF calculator. Given format they all default to a larger coc than I like. Similarly, DoF scales on lens' focusing mounts assume a coc that's larger than I like.

Not to be insulting or anything, but you would benefit from a good introduction to the basics. I don't know where you are, what resources you have, or how much used books now cost. The best beginners' book I'm acquainted with is A. A. Blaker's Field Photography. I used to give copies of it to friends starting out in photography. The book's examples and such are all 35 mm but the ideas transfer directly to larger formats.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2024 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok guys , here is a shot taken with expired 2005 roll, just found out the camera has some serious light leaks (probably the foams?)
this is my first roll of films, so ...... don´t expect much