Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Attaching a Mount to Sigma XQ Mirror Lens
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2021 7:49 pm    Post subject: Attaching a Mount to Sigma XQ Mirror Lens Reply with quote

This Sigma XQ 500mm reflex/mirror lens caught my eye on Click here to see on Ebay, but it’s missing the usual camera mount at the rear. If I had this lens, what would I need to buy to mount it to a camera?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2021 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

photo ebay seller visi.cameras Click here to see on Ebay

Or buy this better lens Click here to see on Ebay for about the same price...

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2021 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was under the impression that Sigma’s YS mount is essentially M42, so the lens that you posted looks to me like it has a Sigma-lens-to-YS adapter mounted into the back of it. Is that correct, or is the [non-camera] mount of the lens that I posted a YS mount, and it’s a YS-to-M42 piece screwed into the lens you posted?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2021 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xaprb wrote:
I was under the impression that Sigma’s YS mount is essentially M42, so the lens that you posted looks to me like it has a Sigma-lens-to-YS adapter mounted into the back of it. Is that correct, or is the [non-camera] mount of the lens that I posted a YS mount, and it’s a YS-to-M42 piece screwed into the lens you posted?

YS and T-mounts are essentially the same, however YS adapter for some mounts includes aperture coupling. The Sigma HQ is a YS (T2-mount) lens. The one you show is missing a part with the T2-mount threads.

http://forum.mflenses.com/spiratone-ys-interchangeable-auto-mount-booklet-t32619.html

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2021 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, this is very helpful!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2021 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

visualopsins wrote:

photo ebay seller visi.cameras Click here to see on Ebay

Or buy this better lens Click here to see on Ebay for about the same price...

EXACT DO NOT BUY SIGMA XQ lens at such price
This is an old / 1st generation mirror lens : big and average quality
At 10$ for fun and/or history only, it would be ok..At such price +/- you will find easily a good modern compact lens as tokina or tamron sp...
ANY compact mirror lens will be better !

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2021 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, I understand. I'm just interested in learning about these older lenses, despite that they're not the best available.

In looking around there seems to be an entire crop of "ultratel" lenses that came a generation before smaller, lighter designs. Interestingly, some of them are reputedly just rebranded MTO Russian lenses, and others... I haven't figured out yet, even if they all LOOK very similar.

For example, this one isn't a Sigma, it's a Spiratone T-mount. (https://www.ebay.com/itm/114704671728) But its serial number has the characteristic Sigma character, which isn't true of all Spiratone ultratels I've seen. Is this Spiratone lens really manufactured by Sigma? Is it the same as the Sigma I posted at the start of this thread, but with different mount, or are they different lenses?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2021 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Made by Sigma; same as lens you posted.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2023 7:09 am    Post subject: XQ not HQ!!! Reply with quote

visualopsins wrote:
xaprb wrote:

YS and T-mounts are essentially the same, however YS adapter for some mounts includes aperture coupling. The Sigma HQ is a YS (T2-mount) lens. The one you show is missing a part with the T2-mount threads.

http://forum.mflenses.com/spiratone-ys-interchangeable-auto-mount-booklet-t32619.html

"The Sigma HQ(correction by me: XQ) is a YS (T2-mount) lens. The one you show is missing a part with the T2-mount threads. "
so whats the difference?
pity i dont remember my old XS. maybe repairman who had to overhault stick helicoid. but i have data and image. not from mount.
I have prospectus seperating Z and XQ-lenses. Found what makes XQ special: scan in german following. ugly black text over image
XQ:
1. macro
2. scalematic. if object size is known prefocus/shoot when covering viewfinder. or "measure object"
3. filtermatic built in filters
4. Multicoating
5. 2 filter threads. 40.5 smallest 52 55 smallest and more
6. Flashautomatic
Unclear if mount can be removed.
Update: There is no XQ-mount. Lens is XQ mount is XS aka T-mount with autodiaphragm.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/userreviews/sigma-xq-39-80mm-f35.html

T-mountsversions
T= direct mount
T2 with inner ring to adjust position like on T but is more stable
http://camera-wiki.org/wiki/T_mount

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2023 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have any pictures of that prospectus? Even in German it sounds quite useful for Sigma lens history Smile .

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2023 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes data will come and i will show all new images i have from both versions. older images of described lenses must be digged out some day.
NB: when mounting long lenses on nonmatching register(infinity not reached) one can get anyway impressive long distances. i have data but not by heart. maybe 38m for 500mm. Ni-C/Y i tested also 600 OM to other cams.
cleaning lenses/mirror delicate since they must be readjusted when removed.