Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Rollei planar 50 1.8 front lens (Voigtländer Color Ultron)
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 9:10 am    Post subject: Rollei planar 50 1.8 front lens (Voigtländer Color Ultron) Reply with quote

Hi. I just got a Rollei planar 50 1.8 and it has a little fungus between, I would say, the first and second glasses (from the front). I have found info on how to disassembly the back part, how to adjust focus, etc, but cannot seem to find anything on how to clean/dismantle the front lenses. I have unscrewed the front, name ring (it was easy), but now I only see the focus screws, nothing else. Most lenses have little holes to use a spanner or something like that, not this one. I see the helicoid (silver color), and the black part where the name plate screws (both marked in red). Tried to unscrew this black part from the helicoid but no luck (maybe it is harder than I tried, but I didn't dare to apply more strength). Right on top of the glass there is a ring (marked yellow), could it be a retainer one? Also tried to unscrew it but to no avail.
Anyone could help? Thanks in advance!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 9:41 am    Post subject: Re: Rollei planar 50 1.8 front lens (Voigtländer Color Ultr Reply with quote

Zamo wrote:
Tried to unscrew this black part from the helicoid but no luck (maybe it is harder than I tried, but I didn't dare to apply more strength). Right on top of the glass there is a ring (marked yellow), could it be a retainer one? Also tried to unscrew it but to no avail.

Hopefully someone will come along soon who is familiar with the lens Zamo. Until then could I ask what you are using to try and unscrew the retainer ring and lens block? You likely already know this, but there are purpose made rubber cones you can use to increase purchase, or, as in my case, I use those thin rubber dishwashing gloves (Marigold's) and use my thumbs to try and turn sticky threads. If that fails, I soak a cotton bud in wd40 and run it around the join where the threads sit and try again. Try after a few minutes, then an hour, a day etc... Be sparing with the w40 and wipe it away once you have the parts separated.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2019 5:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Rollei planar 50 1.8 front lens (Voigtländer Color Ultr Reply with quote

[quote="Zamo"]Hi. I just got a Rollei planar 50 1.8 and it has a little fungus between, I would say, the first and second glasses (from the front). I have found info on how to disassembly the back part, how to adjust focus, etc, but cannot seem to find anything on how to clean/dismantle the front lenses. I have unscrewed the front, name ring (it was easy), but now I only see the focus screws, nothing else. Most lenses have little holes to use a spanner or something like that, not this one. I see the helicoid (silver color), and the black part where the name plate screws (both marked in red). Tried to unscrew this black part from the helicoid but no luck (maybe it is harder than I tried, but I didn't dare to apply more strength). Right on top of the glass there is a ring (marked yellow), could it be a retainer one? Also tried to unscrew it but to no avail.

I have worked with Voigtländer Color-Ultron but it seems to be identical. I can confirm that the inner ring marked in yellow is a retainer ring and can be unscrewed. Rubber wrench tool is good since there are no slots for lens spanner. I have used 41mm wrench successfully.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2019 10:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Rollei planar 50 1.8 front lens (Voigtländer Color Ultr Reply with quote

ks73 wrote:

I have worked with Voigtländer Color-Ultron but it seems to be identical. I can confirm that the inner ring marked in yellow is a retainer ring and can be unscrewed. Rubber wrench tool is good since there are no slots for lens spanner. I have used 41mm wrench successfully.

Thanks a lot! I will not be able to do anything until mid January, but I will keep you posted. Thanks!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2020 1:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Rollei planar 50 1.8 front lens (Voigtländer Color Ultr Reply with quote

Zamo wrote:
ks73 wrote:

Thanks a lot! I will not be able to do anything until mid January, but I will keep you posted. Thanks!

Hi Zamo.

Please. Let us know of your work with the lens, if you can or want to, with images.
Can be useful for us.

Thank you

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zamo

I did it and now it's ok.

The job mentioned here is the adecuated way.

Thanks to the forum.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As said, the inner ring unscrews and gives access to the different glasses. Thanks everyone for your help!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zamo wrote:
As said, the inner ring unscrews and gives access to the different glasses. Thanks everyone for your help!

Glad to hear it worked out!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2020 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Zamo,

I know, it is a rather old but still one of the rare threads,
dealing with dissassembly/repair of this specific lens Smile

I have the same lens in M42, and would like to know more about the rear lens group.

Do you have experience with the rear lens group?
Mine shows some kind of fungus (or lens separation probably), I am not sure.
Actually, it comes off easily as a block, but I am not able to unscrew the inner ring,
to get to the 'defective' area.

Is it possible to disassemble it at all, or do I have to live with that, what ever it is?

Any hints to get off the inner ring are welcome!
Wink

Kind regards

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2020 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hasan wrote:
Hello Zamo,

I know, it is a rather old but still one of the rare threads,
dealing with dissassembly/repair of this specific lens Smile

I have the same lens in M42, and would like to know more about the rear lens group.

Do you have experience with the rear lens group?
Mine shows some kind of fungus (or lens separation probably), I am not sure.
Actually, it comes off easily as a block, but I am not able to unscrew the inner ring,
to get to the 'defective' area.

Is it possible to disassemble it at all, or do I have to live with that, what ever it is?

Any hints to get off the inner ring are welcome!
Wink

Kind regards

If I remember correctly, this Planar is like many Zuikos: has no instrument notches on the retaining rings.
You either need to find/make precisely matching pug, which will grab the ring without touching the lens, or carefully cut spanner notches into the ring (which I usually do in these cases).

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2020 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello aidaho,
Thank you. Both suggestions are very useful.
I will try to find a matching pug first.

Kind regards

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2020 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perfect! Found rubber matching the diameter of the retaining ring.

There was only some dirt(grease?) on the glas element.
It went off easily, no residues. Wink

Thank you!

Kind regards