Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

asahi pentax K SMC 24mm 2.8, lot of white dots, cleanable ?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 8:06 am    Post subject: asahi pentax K SMC 24mm 2.8, lot of white dots, cleanable ? Reply with quote

hello

last week end i get this lens

https://www.pentaxforums.com/lensreviews/SMC-Pentax-K-24mm-F2.8-Lens.html

the lens look pristine so i didn't notice this "white dots" at store. from 5 cm it's crystal clear. but looking thru it from very close up, it's like the moon.
do you think this is cleanable ?

thanks

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This lens is 9 elements in eight groups, so not straightforward to clean, especially if the "problem" is deep into the assembly! Personally, I'd take a few shots with it, especially contra-jour, and see if there really is a problem, then take it from there.

YMMV - Good luck Smile

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you zoom out some, it's hard to tell what it is without some context.
If it's only a small spot, it won't effect the IQ much, it will be most noticeable in the PSF (bokeh balls).
My guess is that it should be cleanable, the big question is if the glass underneath is etched, only one way to find out.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of the time, I've found such lenses cleanable, few times ,dust heve been covering coating damage by fungus or separation and also white spots that would no clean . So, rare lenses ,where normal issues are not frequent, are hard to say until you clean em up. You should contact the seller before starting cleaning the lens and get a discount , or depending of price ,best is to return.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably separation of the cement.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 11:18 am    Post subject: Re: asahi pentax K SMC 24mm 2.8, lot of white dots, cleanabl Reply with quote

thebbm wrote:
from 5 cm it's crystal clear. but looking thru it from very close up, it's like the moon.

An excellent justification for buying the cool hood that goes with it. That may read as trite, but all the good advice has already been given.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teemō wrote:

I always found the separation starting at the edges

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kiddo wrote:
Teemō wrote:

I always found the separation starting at the edges

My Voigtlander 35/1.7 has it evenly all over, although admittedly a lot finer. You can't really see it unless it's lit up - otherwise the glass looks very clear. On the other hand because the particles here are much larger (?) it could be some vapour deposit combined with a lot of dust but the impact will be similar.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teemō wrote:

No. Separation in Pentax glass has a very specific appearance, and that's not it.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first guess would be fungus.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In more than 50 years I can't remember any lens with separation that looked like the posted lens.

Seems to be some degradation in the surface lens or in the coated.

Not looks as tipical fungus.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you for all answers.
I never saw fungus like this.

i think the element to clean is just before the aperture (from the front) but i failed unscrewing the metal front ring with my rubber tools.

This is some other pictures :

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have seen something similar when I used a very dusty lens outside on a freezing cold day, brought it back in the warm house and condensation formed, the water turned the dust to mud. I didn't notice it for a week or so, but it did clean off.

I've also had fungused lenses that were so bad the element was scrap due to the etching. I think the fungus had been in the lens for a very long time.

this was after cleaning and the surface of the glass was pockmarked totally, it looked like bathroom window glass.

I suspect your lens is fungused, based on your pictures. If it hasn't etched the surface then it should clean to a usable condition. I use cold cream or isoprpyl alcohol.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i opened the lens from front finaly.
and removed the middle element just after aperture. i hope it's reversible because it felt and i don't know which side it was ( it look the same on each side). i didn't opened it fully because i don't have any thing to clean it. I will get Alcool Isopropylique and try to clean it.
how to you clean it ? what do you use to "dry it" ? thank for all answers

@Lloydy oh the element is very damaged Sad the lens is still usable ?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thebbm wrote:
i opened the lens from front finaly.
and removed the middle element just after aperture. i hope it's reversible because it felt and i don't know which side it was ( it look the same on each side). i didn't opened it fully because i don't have any thing to clean it. I will get Alcool Isopropylique and try to clean it.
how to you clean it ? what do you use to "dry it" ? thank for all answers

@Lloydy oh the element is very damaged Sad the lens is still usable ?

Try to do various baths of the lens leaving it to moisture,the residue might damage the lens ,so be careful with that, as aometimes inner elements are very fragile, much more then front ones.