Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

contax G lens on sony a7rii query
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 6:49 pm    Post subject: contax G lens on sony a7rii query Reply with quote

Anybody have experience with this combination?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've owned it for three months. I like to walk around town with this little telephoto lens (G90). My examples with A7RII.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i scored the TechArt G1/G2 adapter at a thrift store for $5! but havent come upon any lenses to test with yet

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't own the Sony you're asking about but I do use Contax G lenses on my Nikon Z6 and Z7 via Fotodiox's manual focus adapter. Not sure what you're curious about specifically but I absolutely love using these lenses on digital. Even despite all of the issues discussed at length here https://phillipreeve.net/blog/rangefinder-wide-angle-lenses-on-a7-cameras-problems-and-solutions/, I find them entirely worth adapting and gorgeous little optics. I use and am most partial to the 45/2 and the 21/2.8.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2019 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I had heard that on some of the earlier A7 series cameras the short FL lenses were yielding smeared colors due to, IIRC, filter stack issues. I didn't want to invest hundreds in a techart adapter if that was still the case. I was hoping someone on here had experience with the combination.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2019 2:02 am    Post subject: Re: contax G lens on sony a7rii query Reply with quote

jamaeolus wrote:
Anybody have experience with this combination?

The G45 work wonderfully on my A7r which is the most picky sensor of the series.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/lightshow-photography/tags/contaxg452/

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2019 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is a very nice shot. The microcontrast is remarkable. Thanks. I might start seeking out some "bargains" for these lenses. Bargains being a relative term for glass like this.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2019 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jamaeolus wrote:
Well, I had heard that on some of the earlier A7 series cameras the short FL lenses were yielding smeared colors due to, IIRC, filter stack issues. I didn't want to invest hundreds in a techart adapter if that was still the case. I was hoping someone on here had experience with the combination.

I think it happens with FL smaller than 35mm.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2019 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

calvin83 wrote:
jamaeolus wrote:

I think it happens with FL smaller than 35mm.

As a general rule, the closer the rear element is to the sensor, the more problematic edge sharpness will become. Most Sony FF sensors are particularly badly affected, I've read that the Z6 & 7 sensors (by Sony) have a thinner transparent cover in front of the sensor that handles such lenses better. My 45mm Planar and 90mm Sonnar are excellent in terms of IQ on my A7 II, but I've tried several manual adapters and I've yet to find one that I enjoy using.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2019 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had excellent success with the 45mm on the Nikon Z cameras. The 21mm however, definitely suffers in the corners (color shift, sharpness). I actually picked up the recommended optic, Opto Sigma SLB-50-1500PM (plano convex 1.5m), from the previously posted article, which is supposed to greatly improve the performance of the 21mm. But my adapter (the Fotodiox Contax G > Nikon Z) is too precise and contains no additional helicoid which is evidently needed once the SLB-50-1500PM is added to maintain infinity focus. I'm exploring means of modifying my adapter to allow for this. If you consider the lens itself was a good deal at $400. And I spent another $100 on the Opto Sigma lens. Plus $50-70 for the adapter...these things add up. But then there really is nothing quite like these G lenses. It's all been worth it to me, but not for any pragmatic reasons.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2019 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sebboh at FM has most of the Contax G lineup converted for manual focus, he was using an A7 series camera, I'm not sure what he's shooting these days. A search for "sebboh Contax g" should bring up any relevant posts.
I think he added a PCX element in front of the 21mm lens which improved IQ, the 35/2 was more funky than usual, definitely interesting.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am using the CG 21, 28, 45 & 90 on the Z6 and this has replaced my Nikkor & LR lenses completely. The compact form and IQ has no rival - I carry 4 lenses and camera in the original CG bag.
The 21 & 28 shine with a reversed PCX 1500 and the BSI sensor on the Z prevents any cast or smearing anyway.
-Some samples :

I also had the infinity issue with PCX mounted on the 21 & 28 via FD adapter but solved it with shimming and a fotofox adapter(metabones works too).
Do PM or let me know if you want to see samples or need help with adapting.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

100% crop on f4 (A7R2 + g90)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The CG 45 & 90 lenses shine indeed on mirrorless without any correction needed

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a techart adapter I have, and the 45mm & 90mm are good. Then it gets more interesting 35, 28 and 21MM. I got them all Aug2015 to spring 2016.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by Blazer0ne on Tue Feb 22, 2022 6:37 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DSC01836-4 by Сергей Пашнин, on Flickr

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2021 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

city1 by Сергей Пашнин, on Flickr

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2021 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DSC02956-4 by Сергей Пашнин, on Flickr

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2021 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice results!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2022 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was a thought to change it (G90) to sigma 90/2.8, but the price tag on sigma bites)
city-10 by Сергей Пашнин, on Flickr
city-11 by Сергей Пашнин, on Flickr