Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Discussing testing lens contrast
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2019 9:20 am    Post subject: Discussing testing lens contrast Reply with quote

Probably it is not only me, but the search page gives me a 404 error, so I’ll ask the community. I’m going to clean a number of lens and I’ve always wanted to take some objective measurements of the effects. I’m relatively clear on testing resolution, winch is very, very easy nowadays. If time permits I’ll check lens transition and probably do some kind of dynamic setup to record any effect on lens flare.
But the test that I have some trouble designing is the one for contrast. Up till now I have two main directions. On one side is a typical approach with a test chart, I have a large Macbeth and a very easy way will be to standardize the lighting setup and directly compare the numbers from the ColorChecker CVS table. This setup I’ll use to check color rendition. To orient it more towards lens contrast I could do the opposite of what’s recommended for minimizing effects of lens flare on MTF tests with Imatest, namely have a very bright background.
And on the other side is an idea to introduce a much greater contrast, in my head it’s a bright point-like source of light, most certainly a bright LED in a very dark non-reflective chamber of some sort and I think I can get contrast of over 20 stops, I hope 22-23, but this is optimistic. After some initial tests with a somewhat dirty Canon FL 1.2/55 I see a tone of lens flare.
Any thoughts? And if you’ve have stumbled on something similar please share, I do not need to reinvent the hot water.