Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Dreamy Landscape lenses
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2021 12:25 pm    Post subject: Dreamy Landscape lenses Reply with quote

I am interested in lenses with special character that would produce painting like effect, wide open, unprocessed. So far i liked:
Rikenon 2.2/55mm, Fujinon 2.2/55mm, Vivitar 2.5/28mm. Probably most F1.2 lenses. Any other preferably wide angle comes to your mind?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2021 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Vivitar 28mm 1:2 Kiron version is even dreamier than the 2.5

Enna Müchen Macro-Ennalyt 35mm 1:3.5 (plastic version)

Most large aperture (under 2.8 ) wide angles will be dreamy wide open I guess

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2021 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a thread where someone reversed the front element of a Helios 44. The pictures he showed were gorgeous, but as far as I remember all were close-ups, flowers and stuff. If the lens still focuses to infinity, the effect should be quite unique. I'll try to find the thread...

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2021 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://forum.mflenses.com/helios-44-flip-reverse-front-or-rear-element-or-both-t80736.html

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2021 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The old Sigma EX 20mm f1.8 comes to mind.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2021 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

de-focus a little

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2021 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

visualopsins wrote:
de-focus a little

That was a good advice looong time ago when large format lenses were the standard for landscape images - and when most of the lenses would have quite some uncorrected aberrations: Even if not correctly focused, there was still some detail remaining.

Most of the post-1960 vintage lenses for FF cameras are "too good" to use this method.

Much easier - and much more controllable - is the use of a UV fillter smudged with a touch of vaseline (petroleum jelly): You can use any lens you like / have, you can increase or decrease the effect by increasing / decreasing the amount of vaseline used, and you can even vary the effect within your image. Well known and often used method back in the 1980s ...

Otherwise a set of soft filters (e. g. the Minolta portrayer "S" variant) or a real soft focus lens might be helpful as well.

S

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2021 6:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Dreamy Landscape lenses Reply with quote

Pancolart wrote:
Any other preferably wide angle comes to your mind?

Pentacon 50 comes to mind. That's a great little lens for wide open, painterly bokeh.

The Meyer 35mm Primagon 4.5 has excellent character and bokeh.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2021 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually have a soft filter called B+W wz-1 that ads softness. The filter is clear but it causes some sort of spherical aberration (glow) by a sort of circular waves (like when you drop a rock in a pond) in the glass. There are plenty of those on ebay. There is also a wz-2 I guess that one has a stronger effect.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2021 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

D1N0 wrote:
The Vivitar 28mm 1:2 Kiron version is even dreamier than the 2.5

Enna Müchen Macro-Ennalyt 35mm 1:3.5 (plastic version)

Most large aperture (under 2.8 ) wide angles will be dreamy wide open I guess

Yes, you reminded me of Enna i used many years ago and really like it. Must try it again.

Regarding Kiron i suspect edges wide open will too weak on full frame. Do you have any samples?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2021 9:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Dreamy Landscape lenses Reply with quote

KEO wrote:
Pancolart wrote:
Any other preferably wide angle comes to your mind?

Pentacon 50 comes to mind. That's a great little lens for wide open, painterly bokeh.

The Meyer 35mm Primagon 4.5 has excellent character and bokeh.

Primagon, splendid, i hope i still have it in other then Praktina mount Smile.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2021 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some great suggestions there, like experimenting with filters (i only used polarizer) and de-focusing.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2021 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pancolart wrote:

Regarding Kiron i suspect edges wide open will too weak on full frame. Do you have any samples?

Never shot landscape wide open on full frame. I remember the softness from when I first used it on aps-c, so on FF it is a bit more subtle.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably ,in this case, the best lens would be the one that has less sharpness (basically old zooms that go for cheap ), but a hazy prime would work just as good (why not a cured fungus one?).
Defocusing might work if passing the infinity or the subject to be focused .
I remember the character lenses might fit so well, cheap pentacon 29mm , I should try Sun zoom 35-90 3.5, for macro is pretty nice , glossy landscape might be worth to try .

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lens, with a bit of haze evenly on one of the elements, will do the job. Wink

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In wide angles, I nominate the Auto Takumar 35mm f2.3, the Isco Westron/Westromat 35mm f2.8 and the 35mm f2.0 Wollensak Fastax Raptar. If you are handy adapting lenses, there is the Okaya Highkor 40mm f1.8 or f1.9 from the Lord rangefinder cameras. Of course for landscapes, nothing is going to give you dreamy because nothing will be defocused. Most vintage lenses will simply lack sharpness and contrast at infinity focus wide open, at least as compared to modern lenses.

Fastax Raptar 35mm

Auto Takumar

Isco Westromat

Okaya Highkor 40mm f1.8

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i am also into this sort of thing, and my most recent picks are

canon fd 35-70mm f2.8 SSC:

and kiron 28mm f/2 (also available as vivitar):

my copy of the canon has some slop in the focus so i don't use it as much as i'd like to, i guess the slide bearing design is a known issue with these, so watch out for that if you decide to get one

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

benadamx wrote:
i am also into this sort of thing, and my most recent picks are

canon fd 35-70mm f2.8 SSC:

and kiron 28mm f/2 (also available as vivitar):

my copy of the canon has some slop in the focus so i don't use it as much as i'd like to, i guess the slide bearing design is a known issue with these, so watch out for that if you decide to get one

Like your shots, especially the first one. My Vivitar/Kiron is still on its way. Somehow the Canon copy I have also has the focus issue.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 1:14 am    Post subject: Re: Dreamy Landscape lenses Reply with quote

Pancolart wrote:
I am interested in lenses with special character that would produce painting like effect, wide open, unprocessed. So far i liked:
Rikenon 2.2/55mm, Fujinon 2.2/55mm, Vivitar 2.5/28mm. Probably most F1.2 lenses. Any other preferably wide angle comes to your mind?

I've seen Vivitar 35-85mm f/2.8's performance at certain situation is like that.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 10:27 am    Post subject: Pentax 28mm f/2.8 Soft Reply with quote

Don't forget the Pentax 28mm f/2.8 Soft, another one-of-a-kind lens from Pentax: a soft focus wide lens, dedicated to those dreamy landscapes that look like paintings...

Cheers!

Abbazz

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 10:49 am    Post subject: Re: Pentax 28mm f/2.8 Soft Reply with quote

Abbazz wrote:
Don't forget the Pentax 28mm f/2.8 Soft, another one-of-a-kind lens from Pentax: a soft focus wide lens, dedicated to those dreamy landscapes that look like paintings...

Cheers!

Abbazz

and good luck finding one

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A Landscape you photograph on Infinity and aperture on 8 - 11.

Any special character of a lens will be almost invisible.

With photographing close-up's and details in the nature (flowers, leaves, mushrooms..),

there is another setup - but thats not a Landscape photography.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alex_d wrote:

With photographing close-up's and details in the nature (flowers, leaves, mushrooms..),

I don't see why it would not be possible to shoot landscape with an aperture wider than f/.8-11. With a 16mm lens, you can shoot on 24x36 at f/2.8 and have anything in focus from 2.5 meter to infinity.

Here's a picture taken a few minutes ago with the aforementioned Pentax 28mm Soft at f/5.6 (click to see full size):

Plenty of character I would say...

Cheers!

Abbazz

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alex_d wrote:

Pancolart is looking for lenses that are dreamy wide open at infinity distances. So no bokeh, no stopping down. Lenses with spherical aberration. Using a lens on aps-c or m43 will enhance the dreaminess but then it will be hard to find a wide angle. 36mm equivalent on aps-c with a 24 is reasonably wide but that's about it.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Abbazz wrote:
alex_d wrote:

I don't see why it would not be possible to shoot landscape with an aperture wider than f/.8-11. With a 16mm lens, you can shoot on 24x36 at f/2.8 and have anything in focus from 2.5 meter to infinity.

Here's a picture taken a few minutes ago with the aforementioned Pentax 28mm Soft at f/5.6 (click to see full size):

Plenty of character I would say...

Cheers!

Abbazz

Nice! Like 1 small