Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Vivitar series 1 90mm 2.5 on a7ii at the carousel
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 6:06 am    Post subject: Vivitar series 1 90mm 2.5 on a7ii at the carousel Reply with quote

A legendary lens with a well deserved reputation can still be had for pennies on the dollar compared to modern offerings. These were taken with an FD mount copy that goes to 1:1. A fantastic lens for macro i thought to try some less obvious targets. The carousel is a relatively local tourist attraction that citizens of the community have invested 165000 hours of volunteer labor to create a modern take on the carousels of yesteryear. The mechanism is a vintage Dentzel that was originally in Pennsylvania (now in Albany Oregon) .they have it completely working inside a gorgeous new brick and laminated beam structure on the waterfront of the Willamette river in their downtown. The characters are all hand carved from basswood and hand painted. Photos to follow as my tablet is running out of juice.I

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, that's sharp and pop!

A very good choice of light making a dramatic play of bright spots and shadows. Congrats for the series!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2019 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 Like 1 Like 1

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2019 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sharp enough to cut yourself Like 1. The rendering reminded me of a particular slide film, but which one wont come to me.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2019 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1
kiron colours

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2019 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TOKINA.
Vivitar 100/2,8 macro is Kiron. Very close performance.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2019 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes "Bokina"is the superlative used. It is just a fantastic lens.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2019 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So sharp. Nice sets. Like 1

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

These are jpg straight from camera. You should see the Raw images on my galaxy tab s9.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 Like 1 I'm reminded of riding on the Tilden Park mgr as a child, later taking kids there. It's also a menagerie carousel. Complete with loud mechanical orchestra of drums, cymbals, bells, pipe organ, etc.. Does yours have sound?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yes. Vintage mechanical autoplay device. They tour guied told us the name but I have already forgotten it. They are in the process of making it a carousel museum. They have several vintage characters on display in the basement where they are carving new characters. Sadly I didn't get photos of the vintage characters (Next time!)

These were with the Sony AF 70-400 G via LE-A4 adapter. The lens was set to manual focus though. I had white balacnce set wrong on first image and am too lazy to fix it for now.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are those CA in the last pic horse's hair? I've tried many times to get this lens ,but never found one cheap enough for my budget...

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It might be. I am not sure. There were lots of colored characters around also. Including several kids in charming princess outfits. So it could be reflection . I dont take pictures of children, though.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

beautiful craftmanship
Like 1 small Like 1 small Like 1 small

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, old school. Blocks of basswood glued and pinned together then hand carved by master craftsmen. Each character is chosen by a sponsor. They have 2 artists that create 2 dimensional sketches that the sponsor approves (typically after a few iterations). Then the sketches are converted by the woodcarvers.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Calliope? https://youtu.be/dMclpUTpJUg and https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fairground_organ

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, a calliope. With the standard carousel music you have heard 1000 times in movies. That was one of the downsides to spending as much time in there as I did.