Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Samyang 8mm/F3.5 Fish-Eye CS Aspherical
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 6:21 pm    Post subject: Samyang 8mm/F3.5 Fish-Eye CS Aspherical Reply with quote

Based on recent discussion about fish-eye lenses I realized that I have this lens sitting in a box and never used up to now...
I've bought it some years ago for my Pentax K20D and it's in PK-mount. The lens is designed for APS-C format only.
So I took it today on my dog walk and made some shots.

As usual pictures taken with my Ricoh GXR-M in RAW and converted/resized with minor adjustments in LR6.

All pictured taken at F8 and distance was set to 1ft/0.3m for all. No need to care about focus with this lens.

100% crop of #4

For further reading Ken Rockwell did a quite interesting review of this lens here:
http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/8mm-f35.htm

IMHO it's not a every day lens but at least you can get some interesting perspectives and the quality isn't bad at all.

Cheers,

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks!
The Rockwell review is certainly enthusiastic.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks good, and sharp!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting, it's got a lot more distortion than my adapted projector lens but also much better edges.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
Interesting, it's got a lot more distortion than my adapted projector lens but also much better edges.

Could be edges not in focus due to field curvature? (edges not included in dof?)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had this lens for a long time and it's very good, comparable to the performance of similar Nikon and Canon lenses, but at half the price.
The Photozone review is more balanced than Ken R.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

visualopsins wrote:
iangreenhalgh1 wrote:

Could be edges not in focus due to field curvature? (edges not included in dof?)

The DLP chip in the projector was about the size of a Nikon CX 1" sensor, so using the lens on a M4/3 camera is using more of the image circle than was intended. Within the image circle of the DLP chip, it's sharp and distortionless, it's only the outer part of the image circle, outside the area the projector used, that has any smeariness, so I think you are right, it will be field curvature.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2020 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Landscape with the 8mm lens on Pentax K20D (lens profile applied in Lightroom):

For comparison this was done with the SMC Pentax DA 55-300mm/F4-5.8 at 300mm from similar viewpoint:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2020 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 small Like 1 small nice Thomas!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2020 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kds315* wrote:
nice Thomas!

Thank you, Klaus.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2020 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice Thomas.
This lens is great for wide interior shots as well.
If you do not mind me adding a couple, here they are - also on APSc - Fujifilm
Again the forum has softened them. Click for a larger version to see their correct sharpness
Tom

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2020 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom, it's indeed a great and versatile lens for many purposes. With the Lightroom lens profile applied the typical fish-eye curvatures are eliminated with a single click.
Thanks for posting your examples. Nicely done.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2020 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have one of these which I'm very happy with. I struggle to remove curvature completely. The LR profile works a treat. Is this something I can download?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2020 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

luisalegria wrote:
Thanks!
The Rockwell review is certainly enthusiastic.

Very Happy

Quote:
There is some gobbledygook in the manual about how to deal with the "release lock," whatever that may be.

The instructions list specifics for many models of Minolta and Sony cameras, but only with foreign model names and numbers.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2020 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

philslizzy wrote:
I have one of these which I'm very happy with. I struggle to remove curvature completely. The LR profile works a treat. Is this something I can download?

I'm still working with Lightroom 6.14 installed locally and the lens profile is already included and works fine for me.
Same is true for Adobe Camera Raw 10.5 in my copy of Photoshop 14.2.
I don't use the newer versions which are on permanent payment basis only.