Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Hexanon 1.8/40 indoors, aperture priority mode
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 11:09 pm    Post subject: Hexanon 1.8/40 indoors, aperture priority mode Reply with quote

Recently we had a short exchange about shooting indoors with aperture priority vs sutter priority mode. I haven't yet had an occasion to try Sony A7 in shutter priority mode in such environment, in order to appreciate the advantages. But here are several shots taken with Hexanon 1.8/40 in aperture priority mode. I'd say I was quite satisfied with the result and applied only taste related contrast tweaks, not dramatically corrective ones.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice pics. Good lens, indeed.

Somebody tells at the net that the minolta MD 35/2,8 is a good lens too.

Anybody has a preference for one or the other?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 3:20 am    Post subject: Re: Hexanon 1.8/40 indoors, aperture priority mode Reply with quote

alex ph wrote:
Recently we had a short exchange about shooting indoors with aperture priority vs sutter priority mode. I haven't yet had an occasion to try Sony A7 in shutter priority mode in such environment, in order to appreciate the advantages. But here are several shots taken with Hexanon 1.8/40 in aperture priority mode. I'd say I was quite satisfied with the result and applied only taste related contrast tweaks, not dramatically corrective ones.

Nice shots.
Aperture priority vs Shutter priority...
I typically shoot Aperture priority even with fully auto camera & lens, more so with manual lenses.
Shooting Shutter priority with a manual lens is the same as shooting in Manual mode, the only difference might be in if or how some cameras handle auto exposure by shifting ISO, or if exposure compensation dial does anything at all.
I will only go into Shutter priority mode if I need a specific shutter speed, like if I'm dragging the shutter to cause blur when shooting a waterfall or trying to stop action when shooting race cars, sports, birds in flight, or in low light due to my cameras(NEX-7 & A7r) default shutter speed of 1/60sec in Aperture priority.
So I basically treat Shutter priority like a second Manual mode for low light that is always set to a faster shutter speed like 1/120sec so all I have to do is change modes from Aperture priority to Shutter priority if my shutter speed drops to 1/60sec in low light(Later A7 series permit you to change the minimum shutter speed)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

papasito wrote:

Stopped down to f2.8 the Konica has probably as sharp corners as the Minolta MD 2.8/35mm wide open (i can check that as soon as i'm back home). I prefer the 35mm because the focal length of 40mm feels a bit peculiar to me, but that's obviously just my personal opinion. I don't use 35mm that much either ... and if so, then either with a fast f1.4/35 or f1.8/35 or the PC Distagon 2.8/35mm Shift.

S

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevemark wrote:
papasito wrote:

Stopped down to f2.8 the Konica has probably as sharp corners as the Minolta MD 2.8/35mm wide open (i can check that as soon as i'm back home). I prefer the 35mm because the focal length of 40mm feels a bit peculiar to me, but that's obviously just my personal opinion. I don't use 35mm that much either ... and if so, then either with a fast f1.4/35 or f1.8/35 or the PC Distagon 2.8/35mm Shift.

S

Thank you, Stevemark. Very much

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen the Rokkor vs Hexanon 40mm comparation and rokkor looked better. In your case, I like the result of the hexonon

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2019 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your appreciation, fellows!

Lightshow, I have the same idea as you about Aperture vs. Shutter priority modes. But in most cases I don't even switch the modes if I need to cut overexposure. I just push the EV wheel. Both A7 and Nex allow doing that up to -3EV which is enough for me in most of difficult light situations.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2019 12:25 am    Post subject: Re: Hexanon 1.8/40 indoors, aperture priority mode Reply with quote

Lightshow wrote:

Aperture priority vs Shutter priority...
I typically shoot Aperture priority even with fully auto camera & lens, more so with manual lenses.
Shooting Shutter priority with a manual lens is the same as shooting in Manual mode, the only difference might be in if or how some cameras handle auto exposure by shifting ISO, or if exposure compensation dial does anything at all.
I will only go into Shutter priority mode if I need a specific shutter speed, like if I'm dragging the shutter to cause blur when shooting a waterfall or trying to stop action when shooting race cars, sports, birds in flight, or in low light due to my cameras(NEX-7 & A7r) default shutter speed of 1/60sec in Aperture priority.
So I basically treat Shutter priority like a second Manual mode for low light that is always set to a faster shutter speed like 1/120sec so all I have to do is change modes from Aperture priority to Shutter priority if my shutter speed drops to 1/60sec in low light(Later A7 series permit you to change the minimum shutter speed)

same, especially on A7ii - in low light, it always wants to do 1/60 in aperture priority and tends toward (imho) over-exposing.. if i want to catch naturalistic (poor) lighting at dusk, i'll shoot shutter priority with a fast lens wide open (and maybe spot metering) and adjust the shutter speed up til it looks right to me.. same with birdwatching, will set shutter to 1/500 - 1/1250 depending on how much light i've got, otherwise Aperture Priority (and Image Stabilization) almost all the time

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2019 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What museum is this?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2019 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fabulous images of fabulous objects by fabulous photograher with fabulous lens and fabulous camera!!!

Like 1 Like 1

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 Like 1

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much, visualopsins and uddhava!

Paulius, those were temporary exhibitions in two different museums in Paris, Medieval sculpture at Cluny and Oceanian sculpture at Branly. They used a similar colour/light scheme and I found it interesting to put the shots together, in the same virtual space.

Here is another couple of shots from the same series.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you so much, interesting Romanesque capiteles.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 Like 1 Like 1

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, poilu!