Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

kiev60 - help needed
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2022 6:37 pm    Post subject: kiev60 - help needed Reply with quote

Well, this camera came in pretty bad shape , but there's a 180 sonar with working body but nice optics and iris , so I've been struggling how to get it out of the body with no success.
I understand the breach lock mount of the FD, unscrewed the little screw from the mount ring of the body, at the beginning, that ring was tough, but with acetone, it loosened enough to turn about 1/4 of a turn.
Meantime moving the ring, the whole lens will turn altogether with it, and I suppose there's something wrong, so, right now, I'm not sure what else could I try . Of course that I've added plenty of acetone between the mount ring and lens, with no success .
I would really appreciate some other ideas.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2022 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you referring to the Kiev 60 medium format camera? I used to have one of those.

I'm not entirely sure what you are trying to do, but if you are trying to take the lens off the camera, yes it is a very simple breech lock design. Identical to Pentacon 6 really.

The knurled ring on the camera needs to be twisted counter-clockwise (as seen from the front), maybe only 1/8 or 1/6 of a turn or so, and then the lens should just come away from the body. The lens shouldn't be able to rotate; it has a protruding alignment pin that sits in a slot at the top of the camera mount.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2022 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your reply
I'm trying to remove the lens from the body. It came with the release breach ring ,probably glued ,so I've used acetone, that release that ring. But now, that ring is twisting together with the lens, so probably something might be broken inside the lens , besides the fact that the lens might be glued togheter with that release ring.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2022 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems like this Kiev 6C (not Kiev 60 as previously mentioned) it's got mounted a weird hybrid of multicoated 180mm with a brass mount, that is glued to the release ring of the camera . Acetone had removed part of the gold paint of the lens mount ,now brass is visible . I had to open part of the camera ,the shutter wasn't working any way , now it does work, so besides acetone and alcohol, there would be the option of heating that ring ,to posible remove the lens . Would you guys recommend any other option ?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2022 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are happy risking scrapping the camera, I would probably take the front off (if possible).

At some point my KIEV 60 broke, and when I tried to repair it I found that it contained a large number of horrible soft pot-metal castings, and soft screws. Not made to last.

The KIEV 6C and KIEV 60 will share quite a bit in terms of chassis & mechanics, so maybe this can be of some use, a repair manual (in Russian, but with pictures):

https://learncamerarepair.com/product.php?product=785&category=2&secondary=24

And some more useful images of the 6C mount (scroll about half way down):

http://www.suaudeau.eu/memo/rep/Kiev_6c.html