Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

SMC Takumar 2/55 in close-mid range
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:17 pm    Post subject: SMC Takumar 2/55 in close-mid range Reply with quote

Some shots taken with SMC Takumar 2/55 on Nex, with aperture f4-f5.6, autocontrast applied.

Basic colours are punchier than its close relative Yashinon-DX has. I am saying that without any prejudice, as I really appreciate the fine Yashinon rendering. That might be the main jump-into-the-eyes difference between the two lenses, together with a higher global contrast of the Takumar, while the yashinon-DX is subtler.

Meanwhile Topcor Re GN 1.8/50 has a stronger microcontrast (the first two shots here from the same places) and less basic, more biased colour accents tending to magenta and green.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 Like 1 Those SMC colors... last photo made me chuckle Smile

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, Visualopsins!

The bird's shot posted follows this one taken a second earlier:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

visualopsins wrote:
Those SMC colors...

I'm not too sure whether the lens has that much influence in color any longer in modern digital photography as it used to be with analog film.

In other words: Only when comparing lenses on the same camera/sensor with same settings the difference will be visible. As soon as you start comparing the same lens on different cameras/sensors the difference will be likewise obvious but influenced by the sensor.

At least that's my experience with 8 different digital system cameras from 5 different manufacturers. The remaining question is: What does influence the result more, the lens or the sensor? I think it's the sensor, like it used to be with film.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On DSLR's the light meter since it also measures colour balance :p But if you use two different lenses on the same sensor and they give you different colour tones then it is not the sensor, because that is the same for each lens.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's the lens -- the increased transmission of SMC gives more vibrant colors, a greater dynamic range.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

visualopsins wrote:
It's the lens -- the increased transmission of SMC gives more vibrant colors, a greater dynamic range.

I have apprx. 30 SMC lenses, I know exactly what you mean and when compared to e.g. Minolta on the same camera with same settings the colors look totally different, I know.
However, the same SMC lens when used on different cameras is also looking totally different; i.e. like two different lenses.
You've got my point?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tb_a wrote:
visualopsins wrote:

I have apprx. 30 SMC lenses, I know exactly what you mean and when compared to e.g. Minolta on the same camera with same settings the colors look totally different, I know.
However, the same SMC lens when used on different cameras is also looking totally different; i.e. like two different lenses.
You've got my point?

Yes, thanks! Thank you! I've only seen with Canon 350D, 5D classic, & now A7RII -- those seem to look very similar...

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2022 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am pretty much impressed again with this lens which retains plenty of detail.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2022 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wide open, with a very sharp spot in focus