Home
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Smartphone photography
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 10:11 am    Post subject: Smartphone photography Reply with quote

As I barely take my camera, particularly when driving my motorbike, my smartphone is more and more replacing my cameras.

This picture was taken in Heidenreichstein/Austria with my Xiaomi Mi9 (Sony camera) and resized and optimized with "Perfectly Clear" (clickable for best quality viewing):

I don't believe that any picture from my A7R II with a good lens would look any better.

Cheers,

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1
Looks very good indeed!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everything looks sharp, and yet nothing looks sharp. The beauty of computational photography. It's a facsimile of an optics based image, and where I suspect even Canon, Nikon, Sony, Fuji etc are taking their cameras. Certainly a proportion of the quality of an image from the top makers is now relying on algorithm, rather than good glass. And why not. Imagine being able to advertise pro levels of image taking, even if you've never set eyes on a camera before, and all done with lenses not much better than looking through a beer glass.

To me it's a bit like having a poster and not the original.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 1:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Smartphone photography Reply with quote

tb_a wrote:
As I barely take my camera, particularly when driving my motorbike, my smartphone is more and more replacing my cameras.

This picture was taken in Heidenreichstein/Austria with my Xiaomi Mi9 (Sony camera) and resized and optimized with "Perfectly Clear" (clickable for best quality viewing):

I don't believe that any picture from my A7R II with a good lens would look any better.

Cheers,

Surprisingly good indeed.

For 2Mp display size it works well, albeit sharpening was a bit overzealous.
But only a fellow fotog would notice.

Beyond a silly "web size" A7 will simply demolish any current phone hardware even in the most favorable circumstances.

It's pretty clear that phones wont catch up, ever.
And they don't need to. Have to just get to the "good enough for a purpose" level.

I'd be very happy to have a phone (as much as I dislike current smartphones) which will reach this level for me.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your comments, gentlemen.

Well, at least on my 4K-Monitor when viewed in original size for display here (i.e. after clicking on the picture for display in 100% view in a new window) it looks rather stunning and not really over-sharpened. The contrast indeed increased considerably with "Perfectly Clear".
The original size as shot is 4000 x 3000 px; i.e. 12 MP.
However, it's like always also a matter of taste. Wink

Yesterday I've shot some infinity landscapes with my smartphone but the wide angle was simply too wide to get a good result; i.e. the mountain view was much too far away. Maybe I'll do that again with my camera and a short tele today.
That means that there are still many limitations when using the smartphone for photography, but if the scenery is right a better smartphone is a good and capable alternative already.
The Xiaomi Mi9 belongs certainly to the best camera-smartphones presently available, at least accorting to several tests and reviews. In terms of price/quality relationship it's most probably by far the best and there is no need at all to pay the double price or even more for any better known brand.

Cheers,

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This Adapter Lets You Mount Any Giant Lens On Your Tiny Smartphone
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=RVmilrBvdAc

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

visualopsins wrote:

Certainly a matter of taste, but the main advantage of smartphone photography is lost. I prefer to use one of my existing cameras/lenses instead. Wink

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tb_a wrote:
visualopsins wrote:

Certainly a matter of taste, but the main advantage of smartphone photography is lost. I prefer to use one of my existing cameras/lenses instead. Wink

Silly device didn't come to market yet. lol

Remove smartphone camera lens, install c-mount in front of that nice sensor...

Add closeup! Filter diopters don't require any smartphone modifications. Smile

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sciolist wrote:
Everything looks sharp, and yet nothing looks sharp. The beauty of computational photography. It's a facsimile of an optics based image, and where I suspect even Canon, Nikon, Sony, Fuji etc are taking their cameras. Certainly a proportion of the quality of an image from the top makers is now relying on algorithm, rather than good glass. And why not. Imagine being able to advertise pro levels of image taking, even if you've never set eyes on a camera before, and all done with lenses not much better than looking through a beer glass.

To me it's a bit like having a poster and not the original.

A Monet! lol

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

visualopsins wrote:
Add closeup! Filter diopters don't require any smartphone modifications.

The Xiaomi Mi9 is already equipped with quite remarkable macro functionalities. BTW, it's a 3-lens camera.
It's just lacking of good tele capabilities as the digital zoom doesn't really deliver acceptable quality, particularly at higher magnifications, at least not for me.
I also doubt that any of these cheap Chinese attachment lenses would do any better.
However, if tele shooting is required I'll take my existing camera equipment instead. Wink