Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Zenitar Fisheye 16mm 2.8
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 1:38 am    Post subject: Zenitar Fisheye 16mm 2.8 Reply with quote

I have another question for you
What do you think about Zenitar 16mm 2.8 ?
What is good price for it?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 5:12 am    Post subject: Re: Zenitar Fisheye 16mm 2.8 Reply with quote

karabud wrote:

I have one. If you get a good sample, it's a nice sharp lens with little CA and very good resistance to flare. Good price would be up to $150; they usually sell for around $200 though. Sample variation is high. My copy has a decentered element, and hence it's unsharp on the left (I know it can be a very sharp lens lookint at the right side of its images). Fixing it would probably cost more than the lens itself, so beware and try buying one locally after testing.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 5:24 am    Post subject: Re: Zenitar Fisheye 16mm 2.8 Reply with quote

aoleg wrote:
karabud wrote:

I have one. If you get a good sample, it's a nice sharp lens with little CA and very good resistance to flare. Good price would be up to $150; they usually sell for around $200 though. Sample variation is high. My copy has a decentered element, and hence it's unsharp on the left (I know it can be a very sharp lens lookint at the right side of its images). Fixing it would probably cost more than the lens itself, so beware and try buying one locally after testing.

+1
I have a perfect one I got from a member here. Rarely use it but it delivers when needed.
Full frame no distortion adjustment. Horizon placed on center. Dark corner from the built in hood poorly adjusted for my adapter easy to adjust the hood with the set screw.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thx a lot!
F16SUNSHINE - beautiful image - excellent colours&contrast
I will look for used Wink

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i bought it here
http://zenit-camera.com/
very nice and quality lens. On full frame it amazing!!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shauttra wrote:
i bought it here

Yes i can afford to buy new - but get a good sample isn`t easy....as written above

Anyone want to get rid of this lens ? Wink

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

karabud wrote:
shauttra wrote:
i bought it here

Yes i can afford to buy new - but get a good sample isn`t easy....as written above

Keep trying to buy from trustworthy users, as did mentioned above.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone knows it is possible to mount Pentax PK or m42 mount Zenitar on 5D ?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My sample above is M42. Don't buy any other mount if you are thinking 5D.
Simply from a resale standpoint. Your market will be Canon, Pentax, Sony, Sigma for both film and digital users.

If you think you will never sell it think again Laughing Such is the life of a lens.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

F16SUNSHINE wrote:
My sample above is M42. Don't buy any other mount if you are thinking 5D.
Simply from a resale standpoint. Your market will be Canon, Pentax, Sony, Sigma for both film and digital users.

If you think you will never sell it think again Laughing Such is the life of a lens.

Thx for feedback. I agree with you 100% However if I had the opportunity to buy a good copy i want know if it possible to mount Pentax PK Zenitar on 5d (not mk II) Wink
What about Zenitar in Nikon mount?Can be adapted too ?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

karabud wrote:
Thx for feedback. I agree with you 100% However if I had the opportunity to buy a good copy i want know if it possible to mount Pentax PK Zenitar on 5d (not mk II) Wink
What about Zenitar in Nikon mount?Can be adapted too ?

Nikon mount can be adapted (although I am not sure they were ever manufactured). K mount is better avoided as the 5D's mirror may hit the aperture stopdown lever. M42 is your best bet all around.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you considered a Takumar 17mm full frame fisheye? I've seen them sell under $200 and the quality control may be more consistent than the Zenitar and it's already a screw mount. I'm happy with the one I use.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aoleg wrote:

Nikon mount can be adapted (although I am not sure they were ever manufactured).

Apparently they were manufactured.
http://zenit-camera.com/zenitar_n_fisheye_lens.htm

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
karabud wrote:
shauttra wrote:
i bought it here

Keep trying to buy from trustworthy users, as did mentioned above.

Someone had bad expierence with this shop?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just had the chance to get a Yashica ML 15 Fisheye.
Now, I will sell my Zenitar 2,8/16 for 139 Euros plus shipping.
All filters included.
Details see my post in marketplace later.

Last edited by MF-addicted on Mon Feb 22, 2010 1:23 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's important concerning Zenitar 16/2.8 is that the filter is an optical element. Without filter mounted it delivers soft and blurry images, so it is essential to get a copy with filters included.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This image I've shot with flashlight and tripod in this very dark old Chapel!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2019 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also own the Zenitar, my copy is very sharp edge to edge on a crop sensor. An underrated lens and more versatile than people think, keep the horizon central and nobody will know. But can be easily de-fished in LR if required.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

noddywithoutbigears wrote:
I also own the Zenitar, my copy is very sharp edge to edge on a crop sensor. An underrated lens and more versatile than people think, keep the horizon central and nobody will know. But can be easily de-fished in LR if required.

I don't understand, why should I "de-fish" an image, when I am especially want to use it, for an interesting fisheye image?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some people want a rectilinear image.
The Zenitar is a fairly cheap 24mm equivalent for APS-C, on a DSLR, if one wants such a rectilinear lens. Or it was, until recently. There are more options now.

Except for the problem with it being a fisheye of course.
By de-fishing you get that 24mm rectilinear.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Better look for a Tokina 17mm 1:3.5 if you want rectilinear

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OPAL wrote:
noddywithoutbigears wrote:

I don't understand, why should I "de-fish" an image, when I am especially want to use it, for an interesting fisheye image?

It’s to do with versatility, you can use it either way “if required”.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

axer wrote:
What's important concerning Zenitar 16/2.8 is that the filter is an optical element. Without filter mounted it delivers soft and blurry images, so it is essential to get a copy with filters included.

Or remove the filter & readjust infinity focus. Mine had focus adjusted; with filter images were blurry.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

visualopsins wrote:
axer wrote:

Or remove the filter & readjust infinity focus. Mine had focus adjusted; with filter images were blurry.

Yes I second that, mine performs better without the filters, it may have been adjusted by the previous owner(s) as I’ve not adjusted it.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OPAL wrote:

Of course, if someone is satisfied with the image produced directly by a fisheye lens, defishing isn't an option. It is good to remember, however, that some themes go well with a fisheye, but many others go better with a rectilinear wide-angle lens.

A big advantage of defishing is that it is possible to achieve angles of view so extreme that they are impossible or very difficult to achieve with rectilinear ultra-angular lenses. For example, a typical 16mm fisheye has the following angles of view:
    vertical: 100º
    horizontal: 150º
    diagonal: 180º

After defishing, and assuming a 2:3 aspect ratio of the final image, that fisheye lens will be equivalent to a 10mm rectilinear lens! Besides, the defished fisheye produces imagens virtually free of vignetting! In comparison, the today's widest commercial ultra wide-angle lens has a focal length of 12 mm, which comes, of course, with a lot of vignetting...

If the full horizontal extension of the defished imaging is used, the equivalent rectilinear lens has a focal length of only 4.8mm. Probably a rectilinear lens with such short focal length is impossible to be designed, at least with current optical technology.

Finally, maybe these threads interest you:
http://forum.mflenses.com/landscape-photography-with-a-fisheye-t74240.html
http://forum.mflenses.com/viewtopic.php?t=73716

EDIT: To be more exact, Samyang has a 10mm F3.5 and Irix a 11mm F4 UWA lenses in the market today.