Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Steinheil 135 Culminar 4.5 LTM Samples
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2019 8:35 pm    Post subject: Steinheil 135 Culminar 4.5 LTM Samples Reply with quote

I wanted to post a few test shots using this nice old lens on my Fuji X-T2. Here's the lens itself, which I already posted in the "Newest Lens in Your Collection" thread:

Looks like mid-1950s vintage, with a Tower camera logo near the base. Is there a difference between Steinheil's "VL" lenses and non-VL lenses? This one has no VL marking.

First a couple of bokeh and sharpness test shots wide open. These are unedited except for scaling and jpeg conversion. I'm not sure the sharpness part is completely fair, since it was a windy day and these subjects were in constant motion. In any case I guess you expect an f/4.5 lens to be pretty sharp wide open.

Here's an unedited quasi-macro shot at f/16 with extension tubes and a flash. I crave lenses that are sharp at <= f/11, and this one does a good job there. The 16 iris blades is a bonus, as the highlights remain perfectly round.

Here's another flash shot at f/8. This was a bit underexposed, but I figured that was my fault, not the Culminar's, so I fixed it on the computer. Otherwise unedited:

The girl doesn't have much personality, but she's remarkably cooperative as a portrait model. Wink

Overall, I like this Culminar a lot. It's one of my favorite 135s in fact, especially when you factor in size, weight, simplicity of operation, and looks.

I've been using a thin bit of black foam rubber and some tape as a lens hood. It works well, but I'd like to find something a little more durable, so if anyone has any advice on that topic, I'm all ears. The original Steinheil hoods for these lenses seem to be pretty rare and expensive.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2019 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This was mine, from a decade ago -writeup

http://forum.mflenses.com/steinheil-culminar-135-4-5-m42-t6141,highlight,%2Bculminar.html

I believe I used a slip-on series adapter (the old Series IV-V-VI-VII etc., before there were standard metric sizes). These came in different sizes of slip-on adapters which would take filters and hoods of the same series. I note Series V in my writeup, but 44mm thread, which I think was Series VI. Thats as best I can remember. So look for a Series V or VI slip on filter holder plus a matching Series V or VI hood.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2019 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

luisalegria wrote:
This was mine, from a decade ago -writeup

http://forum.mflenses.com/steinheil-culminar-135-4-5-m42-t6141,highlight,%2Bculminar.html

Great! Thanks.

It's interesting to see the differences between your Culminar and mine. Mine has no metric distance scale. It's in feet only, and the numbers are all black. Must be a characteristic of lenses intended to be sold with/for the Tower rangefinder cameras.

Quote:
So look for a Series V or VI slip on filter holder plus a matching Series V or VI hood.

Okay, that's good advice. Thanks. It's really strange the way the filter threads are set up on this lens. I wonder whether Steinheil ever made a special screw-in hood for it?

My home brew foam rubber hood works pretty well, actually.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2019 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’m sure you know - Tower was Sears house brand for cameras.

The 1950’s Sears catalogs are fascinating.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

luisalegria wrote:
The 1950’s Sears catalogs are fascinating.

Now I have a reason to look at them! Wink

I wonder what other kinds of LTM lenses were marketed for Tower cameras...I'll have to look into it.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read somewhere that the culminar in 85mm was the same as the optical scheme as the quinar. Does anybody know if that is true?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jamaeolus wrote:
I read somewhere that the culminar in 85mm was the same as the optical scheme as the quinar. Does anybody know if that is true?

https://photobutmore.de/exakta/steinheil/

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent link! Thank you!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent resource for Steinheil lenses. Thanks for that! Unfortunately it does not show a listing for the Quinar 85mm 3.5 I have. I might just have to buy a culminar for comparison. Interestingly the culminar in the listing is a 2.8.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jamaeolus wrote:
Excellent resource for Steinheil lenses. Thanks for that! Unfortunately it does not show a listing for the Quinar 85mm 3.5 I have. I might just have to buy a culminar for comparison. Interestingly the culminar in the listing is a 2.8.

Quinar 85mm 3.5 is similar to Quinar 100/3.5.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sergtum wrote:
https://photobutmore.de/exakta/steinheil/

Great link, thanks.

According to that site the Auto Quinar 135 2.8 is 180g heavier than the regular Quinar 135 2.8. That's really heavy!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The translated article indicates the auto-quinar 100 had a "rake" for setting aperture for flash photography. What does that really mean.