Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Dkl compatibility question
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 2:28 pm    Post subject: Dkl compatibility question Reply with quote

I read somewhere that the Braun Super Colorette II lenses use the same type DKL mount as the Vitessa T.Does anyone know for sure? I know the vitessa t is a different system than the retina version.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The DKL mounts vary only slightly in detail, thought by some to be an effort by manufacturers who used that shutter system to prevent Kodak owners from using Voigtlander lenses etc.

I only own and use Schneider lenses from my old Retina film cameras, via an adaptor to PK mount, but I'm given to understand the adaptor has been manufactured with sufficient tolerance to allow the use of any "DKL-mount" lenses. I also remember reading, "back in the day", that it was the work of a few minutes with a small file (or seconds with a Dremel) to "adjust" a Kodak Schneider to fit on a Voigtlander camera, or vise-versa.

As to whether one would want to "adjust" what may now be a collectors' lens these days is only for personal conscience Wink

If I was anticipating obtaining a "non-Kodak" DKL-mount lens I'd have no reservations and would "adjust" my adaptor, if necessary, to get it to fit.

YMMV Wink

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I read from various site, they are the same. Wink

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Calvin. I have an opportunity to purchase a braun dkl lens but have yet to get the vitessa type adapter (they are quite a bit more thann the retina versions). IIRC the Vitessa type has the aperture in the adapter, whilst the retina has a diaphragm in each lens. Anyway the lens is not so cheap that I can justify it 'just because' but it is an unusual and apparently relatively rare lens that I have been wanting to try.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I used Voigtlanders Bessamatics and Ultramatics, The DKL mount of Retina Reflex lenses must be modified a bit to fit the Voigtlanders bodies.
AFAIK the different brands that used the DKL mount, made those with little differences among them.
BTW, if you can try the the Voigtlander septon 2/50 and the skopagon 2/40, do it.
The first has the same formula than the hasselblad planar 2 8/80
And the second has 9 elements. Very corrected lens

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kypfer wrote:
The DKL mounts vary only slightly in detail,

They vary a bit more than only in detail.
Voigtländer Vitessa and Braun Colorette have the aperture ring in the lens.
Voigtländer Bessamatic and Kodak Retina have the aperture ring in the camera. The lens doesn't have one.
You can't exchange these two types.
What kypfer and papasito wrote is true only for the Bessamatic and Retina version.

As far as I know the lenses for the Vitessa and Colorette are exchangeable, even on the old cameras.

The lenses for the Bessamatic and Retina are not exchangeable on the old cameras, except if you do the little filing job, either on the lens or on the camera.
But the lenses for the Bessamatic and Retina are exchangeable on modern adapters. The filing job is not necessary.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've only really used a DKL adapter for Kodak Retina lenses and a Voigtlander DKL lens and all seem to work fine with the same adapter if that's of any help..

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As indicated above there are 2 versions of voigtlander DKL lenses. Bessamatic (also the same as ultramatic) and the Voigtlander Vitessa type.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CJ's classic camera* also lists the Vitessa T and Braun Super Colorette II as having interchangeable lenses. It really is a well done site I recommend you wander through some time and see all his wonderful photos of his treasures.

http://www.cjs-classic-cameras.co.uk/index.html

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2019 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have adapters for both. The lenses from Kodak retina reflex system fit the Vitessa T adapters but as has been pointed out none of the Vitessa t adapters have aperture control so you are stuck with it closed down. I sold my last Vitessa T lens and didn`t check it on a retina adpater with aperture control.If I pick up another I will.