Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

request: test/info. Summicron-R 50 vs Zenitar 50 1.7
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2019 5:51 pm    Post subject: request: test/info. Summicron-R 50 vs Zenitar 50 1.7 Reply with quote

Hello All,

Although I have couple of 50s and find time useful at different things, smmicron-R has been in my mind. I have seen references made to Zenitar being copy of summicron. How similar or dissimilar are these in use? I would appreciate any direct real use tests comparing them or against other 50s.

There is also the question of v1 vs v2.

Thanks,
-Michael.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2019 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have both lenses - tuesday i'm back at home and can take some test shots

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2019 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Summicron R 50/2 is a 6/4 design. The Zenitar-m is a 6/5 design. The Zenitar-m is supposed to be a copy of the Carl Zeiss Ultron (Hence it is called the poor man's Ultron).

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2019 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

D1N0 wrote:
The Summicron R 50/2 is a 6/4 design. The Zenitar-m is a 6/5 design. The Zenitar-m is supposed to be a copy of the Carl Zeiss Ultron (Hence it is called the poor man's Ultron).

The Carl Zeiss Ultron 50mm f1.8 is a 7 elements design .
6/4 and 6/5 are such common designs that it may be difficult to find out who copied whom. 6/4 designs are inspired by the original Planar.
Regarding the comparison , I have the Zenitar which is a very nice lens. It is not very contrasty and I suppose that this will be the first big difference to the Summicron.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2019 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

memetph wrote:
The Carl Zeiss Ultron 50mm f1.8 is a 7 elements design .

The original Ultron design was indeed 6/5 designed by A.W. Tronnier for Voigtländer apprx. 1950. The Zenitar is a Ultron and some other lenses as well (e.g. the Minolta 50/1.7, Pentax 50/1.7, etc.).

The "Carl Zeiss" Ultron you are referring to was also designed by Tronnier in the late 1960's and built by Voigtländer as well and is an enhanced Ultron design with an additional front element. The only connex to Carl Zeiss is that Voigtländer at this time already was part of the Zeiss trust and for whatever reason Zeiss decided to use their brand name on Voigtländer products. The later Rollei Planar/Voigtländer Ultron 50/1.8 are slightly modified copies of this enhanced Ultron (designed by Glatzel/Zeiss).

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello All, Thanks a lot for providing information from their design, this is extremely useful. I will do further reading along these lines.
Hi Wolfgang, Thank you in advance for your test/sample pictures effort.
-Michael.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the "Library" section of this forum you can find the book "Leica R Lenses" by Erwin Puts, the most reliable author on Leica gear ( http://forum.mflenses.com/leica-r-lenses-by-erwin-puts-t77840.html ).
You'll find there all the information you need about Summicron-R lenses.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2019 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dan_ wrote:
In the "Library" section of this forum you can find the book "Leica R Lenses" by Erwin Puts, the most reliable author on Leica gear ( http://forum.mflenses.com/leica-r-lenses-by-erwin-puts-t77840.html ).
You'll find there all the information you need about Summicron-R lenses.

Very good read, thanks a lot for sharing! It is loaded with a lot of useful info.
Thanks,

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for the delay, but shxxty weather here. So here some sample pics of the 1.7/50mm Zenitar and the Leitz Summicron-R 2.0/50mm.
Both Lenses wide open at the Sony A7II handheld, Auto-ISO, A-Modus, JPG

Zenitar

Summicron

Zenitar

Summicron

Zenitar

Summicron

Zenitar

Summicron

Zenitar

Summicron

Zenitar

Summicron

Zenitar

Summicron

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Wolfgang,

I love real world comparisons like this, much prefer this over brick wall tests. Thanks a lot for the effort! Summicron seems to be more saturated. What is your general feeling about the 2 lenses in terms of image quality?

FYI: I will do a similar test between the zeintar, planar, pancolar & summicron as soon as I receive my sample (soon).

Thanks,
-Michael.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Without extreme pixel peeping the lenses seem to perform very similar.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Without extreme pixel peeping the lenses seem to perform very similar.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Michael,

i like both lenses. The Summicron is in my Top10 List because of the haptics and overall performance.
My top lens in the 50mm range (and i have 51 lenses in the 50-58mm range) is still the Tronnier Zeiss Ultron 1.8/50mm (M42).
Incredible piece of glass Smile
Here some examples on the Sony A7II:
http://forum.mflenses.com/carl-zeiss-ultron-1-8-50mm-m42-shoots-a-carrera-911-t80449,highlight,%2Bultron.html

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Summicron, more contrasty. Zenitar better Bokeh.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, I don't see too much of a bokeh difference between the two lenses.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wolfhansen wrote:

i like both lenses. The Summicron is in my Top10 List because of the haptics and overall performance.
My top lens in the 50mm range (and i have 51 lenses in the 50-58mm range) is still the Tronnier Zeiss Ultron 1.8/50mm (M42).
Incredible piece of glass Smile

I like the Zenitar as well. The only shortcoming is the rather strong tendency for CA's (purple fringing) when used wide open. The Summicron does far better in that respect.
How does the "Zeiss" Ultron perform in this discipline? Do you have typical example pictures from this lens to check it's CA performance?
Would be really great if you would show any comparison between the Zenitar and the Zeiss Ultron in a typical purple fringing scenery as well.

Thanks,

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Thomas, especially for you i leave my couch to shot some
pics with the Zeiss (Voigtländer) Ultron Smile
Here are quick and dirty:

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2019 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wolfhansen wrote:
Hello Thomas, especially for you i leave my couch to shot some
pics with the Zeiss (Voigtländer) Ultron Smile

Many thanks, Wolfgang! Indeed amazing, no really visible CA's. By far better than the Zenitar and even the Summicron.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2019 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Wolfgang, All,

Thanks a lot for sharing your insight and additional samples/test images.
From your test, Zeiss (Voigtländer) Ultron seem to better the Zenitar in terms of CA & may be other aspects too. The Colors and overall Pictures production seem very similar (baring the differences).

Thanks,
-Michael.