Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Zenitar 16mm fisheye and questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2019 7:02 pm    Post subject: Zenitar 16mm fisheye and questions Reply with quote

My first Russian lens. Comes with the original paper box and nylon bag with three color filters. Missing clear UV filter which is hard to find.
Here comes the questions. The box says it is for K, which I guess is meant for Pentax K. The lens is actually an M42 mount with a plain made in japan k/m adapter to be mounted on Pentax K mount cameras. The lens is mounted fine via an k to nex adapter on my a7ii with focus slightly passing infinity. However, neither the plain k/m adapter nor my k to nex adapter can suppress the m42 aperture pin so the lens is actually wide open. I tried to mount the lens (removing the k/m adapter) via an m42-nex adapter but focus can't seem to pass a very short distance (meaning beyond perhaps 2m it is also blurry). I am a little lost. Is this lens meant for M42 or Pentax K? I read online that Zenitar quality control could be off so infinity focus would need some adjustment. On the other hand, if I could disable the m42 aperture pin, I can still use it. Any information is appreciated. Thanks very much.

Happy 2020!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2019 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can buy a flanged M42-PK adapter that should do the trick

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/FLANGED-M42-LENS-TO-PENTAX-K-MOUNT-ADAPTER-TO-INFINITY-BRAND-NEW-1-pcs/223785190793?hash=item341aa30589:g:cl4AAOSwv~xXER5K

Tom

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2019 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Originally the filter was part of the.optical formula, however, infinity focus can still be adjusted so the filter is not necessary. Suspect this zenitar has not been readjusted for focus without filter. Suspect that will not focus as-is on k-mount camera also.

If your m42-nex adapter allows other m42 wide angle lenses to focus to infinity, the zenith may need focus adjustment, which is real easy, instructions online.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2019 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldhand wrote:
You can buy a flanged M42-PK adapter that should do the trick

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/FLANGED-M42-LENS-TO-PENTAX-K-MOUNT-ADAPTER-TO-INFINITY-BRAND-NEW-1-pcs/223785190793?hash=item341aa30589:g:cl4AAOSwv~xXER5K

Tom

Thanks Tom. I didn't realize such adapter exists. I was actually trying to find an M42 to Minolta SR with a flange but the online photo is not clear for me to judge.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2019 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

visualopsins wrote:
Originally the filter was part of the.optical formula, however, infinity focus can still be adjusted so the filter is not necessary. Suspect this zenitar has not been readjusted for focus without filter. Suspect that will not focus as-is on k-mount camera also.

If your m42-nex adapter allows other m42 wide angle lenses to focus to infinity, the zenith may need focus adjustment, which is real easy, instructions online.

Thanks. I saw people claim the filter is part of the optic scheme. I actually suspect that as filter should just be plain glass. Anyway, I will try other three filters to verify that. When using the K/M adapter together with pk to NEX on my Sony a7ii, the lens focused just fine. Plus the box says it is for K (I guess it is just PK). I will check more into adjusting the focus online.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2019 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have used this lens on APSC and have been quite happy with it. I often defished the pictures and it was the (good) poor man 24mm equivalent for apsc lens. Despite seller's affirmations mine did not have the UV filter which indeed is part of the optical formula. I used the yellow filter instead and corrected the white balance with quite good results at the expense of 2/3 stops of transmission. In this case using RAW is quite recommended.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2019 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lumens pixel wrote:
I have used this lens on APSC and have been quite happy with it. I often defished the pictures and it was the (good) poor man 24mm equivalent for apsc lens. Despite seller's affirmations mine did not have the UV filter which indeed is part of the optical formula. I used the yellow filter instead and corrected the white balance with quite good results at the expense of 2/3 stops of transmission. In this case using RAW is quite recommended.

Good to hear your story. I double-checked the online resource and noticed the person tried the lens with and without the clear UV. He confirmed there is a difference. I haven't tried that with the filter to check it myself.

Yes, I was also thinking of putting the yellow filter and correct the wb. It is good to hear you've done it successfully. The yellow filter is not that yellow which is a good thing.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2019 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My experiment for the filter has yet to be done. Just tried one shot and I was busy with other lenses. Smile

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2019 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a good lens but I struggled to have a good copy. Often decentered. I bought three and sold two before coming back to full frame where normal 24mm did the trick.

Note that I bought a Minolta 16mm fisheye that I do not use that often with my A7II but that is very rewarding with stunning results.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2019 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lumens pixel wrote:
This is a good lens but I struggled to have a good copy. Often decentered. I bought three and sold two before coming back to full frame where normal 24mm did the trick.

Note that I bought a Minolta 16mm fisheye that I do not use that often with my A7II but that is very rewarding with stunning results.

Minolta 16mm should be so good. My next step could be getting a Sigma 16mm.

It is not easy to use a fisheye but they can provide very special effect.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2019 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vivaldibow wrote:
visualopsins wrote:

Thanks. I saw people claim the filter is part of the optic scheme. I actually suspect that as filter should just be plain glass. Anyway, I will try other three filters to verify that. When using the K/M adapter together with pk to NEX on my Sony a7ii, the lens focused just fine. Plus the box says it is for K (I guess it is just PK). I will check more into adjusting the focus online.

The filter is part of the optical formula. The filters are flat, even thickness, "plain glass" as you say. At least both of those are true for the lens I had.