Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Yashica Auto Yashinon-DX 50mm f1.7
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 8:00 am    Post subject: Yashica Auto Yashinon-DX 50mm f1.7 Reply with quote

I used to own this lens.
I sold it.
Realised I should not have done so.
Bought another.
The lens.
Some pix - all shot at f1.7.
Tom

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sweet, I can see why you regretted the first one.
I almost bid on one a few days ago, but there was also a Auto Yashinon 5cm f/2. Went the latter, but I should have taken both!

Yashica/Tomioka is awesome.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the DS version and this post Inspired me to finally fix the aperture pin, so I can stop it down on my dslr. It some how got stuck from pushing it in hard enough so I put a piece of medical tape over it. Hopefully it will stay put.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

are the dx 1.7 and 1.4 both tomioka-made?

i have both, it's hard to choose between them

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have one of these lenses. Very sharp. Noticeably sharper than my Helios 44-2.' I bought both for $10 each out of a local pawn shop.

A small self portrait with my NEX 7 and Yashica 50 DX:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

benadamx wrote:
are the dx 1.7 and 1.4 both tomioka-made?

i have both, it's hard to choose between them

Possibly, maybe, probably - pick any one.
They are both excellent.
There is also the Auto Yashinon-DX 2/50 which is quite splendid as well.
Thanks everyone for the kind words
Tom

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great illustration to the lens' capacity, Tom! This is what is called to fully reveal the potential.

Did you shoot wideopen and then fixed down the exposure? The contrast between sharp zones and the deep OOF looks very captivating.

Michael, congrats with a higly successfull autoportrait full of sharpness and character!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alex ph wrote:
Great illustration to the lens' capacity, Tom! This is what is called to fully reveal the potential.

Did you shoot wideopen and then fixed down the exposure? The contrast between sharp zones and the deep OOF looks very captivating.

Michael, congrats with a higly successfull autoportrait full of sharpness and character!

Thank you Alex.
The exposure was determined in camera before shooting - shutter speeds chosen to suit the exposure wanted.
Fuji X-E2s has electronic viewfinder so the desired exposure is easy to make even when shooting wide open.
All shots in RAW then exported as .jpegs from LR6.
Here are some more.
The first shot is wide open at f1.7. The others are probably f2 or so
Tom

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the elucidation. I usually shoot leaving the camera to decide shutter speeds. I should try your method to see how it changes shooting management.

#2 and #3 of your new set are especially vibrant due to deep contrast and clear perspective. Very well done!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got the 1.4 DX, and I'm not selling it. it's way too good to part with. Wink A bit like your 'new ' 1.7 Tom. Keep it close to hand, you'll be using it more and more.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alex ph wrote:
Thank you for the elucidation. I usually shoot leaving the camera to decide shutter speeds. I should try your method to see how it changes shooting management.

#2 and #3 of your new set are especially vibrant due to deep contrast and clear perspective. Very well done!

i find, especially on sony cameras, if you want to take naturalistic photos in lower light or dusk conditions, you have to select the shutter speed / shutter priority mode (S vs A mode) or it will default to over-exposing the scene to appear daylit

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, benadamx, that sounds interesting. I did not notice any issue with Son Nex and A7 shooting in museums, at aperture priority mode. I don't wish to deviate too much from Tom's initial topic, so I won't post shots taken this way with other lenses. But what you say pumps more my interest to shutter priority mode that I never really explored.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lloydy wrote:
I've got the 1.4 DX, and I'm not selling it. it's way too good to part with. Wink A bit like your 'new ' 1.7 Tom. Keep it close to hand, you'll be using it more and more.

Some quick shots from the garden this afternoon.
All shot at f1.7
Tom

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

these are the nice shots

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure when Tomioka was absorbed into Yashica, there's a good chance these are made by the engineers from Tomioka.
I picked up the matching Yasinon 55/1.8 that goes with my 3.5cm/2.8 and 10cm/2.8 Yasinon Tominons, my only complaint is it's not a preset. I do have the tiny yashinon 5cm/2.8 in M42 if I really need a preset to go with my 3.5cm/2.8.
I actually bought 2 of them, the first one had a small dent in the filter ring, the first one works well enough I haven't opened up the second one which has stiff focus and a sticky and slow aperture response, the body is a bit more abused, I thought I could just swap filter rings, but that part is all one part with the optical block, and removing the optics is a bit more involved than many of the lenses I've dug into, it definitely wasn't designed with servicing in mind, but then again, it was their first Auto lens, I think I can give them a pass on this one.

These later lenses do have a similar rendering to mine, though I've not shot mine all that much (once), but did look at a ton of shots leading up to buying it. I'll see if I can find a couple to post.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2020 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So a couple of images from today.
All at f1.7 except the last one
T

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2020 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice photos!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2020 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you sergtum and udhavva.
Here are just a couple of wide open shots closer up.
T

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2020 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the ds version. optically the same but no A/M switch. Operates like a dream. Much better than the similarly rendering Mamiya/Sekor 55mm 1.8.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2020 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

have a lot of DX / DS / DSB / DS-M / ML ones, all great and similar performers,

but 55 1.8 is exceptional for me

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2022 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It performs good for buildings too.Adapted on Canon eos 2000d.
Am surprised that i was able to capture it like this even with the coating of the dx lens. Tuzki with lens