Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Tele Rokkor QE 200mm f/5 tested (not qd)
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:25 pm    Post subject: Tele Rokkor QE 200mm f/5 tested (not qd) Reply with quote

This 200mm slipped under the radar on a Swedish auction site. It looked interesting and would fit well along with my TC 135mm f/4 rokkor. Seems like a rare lens.
I wasn't expecting much. But that was a big mistake. It has very respectable performance edge to edge stopped down, and also usable at at f/5.

Taken with a Sony a7, raw files converted and ajusted with ACR/Photoshop. One "from the camera" photo is included for reference.

#6 100% crop

#8 100% crop

#10 100% crop

#14 ACR, default settings.

Last edited by blotafton on Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:16 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very lovely pics , never seen such a Minolta before - what's the mfd?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks!

2.5m/8ft.

This is the one and only example I've seen. It would be interesting to know how many that were made.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's QE, not QD, Sorry.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blotafton wrote:
It's QE, not QD, Sorry.

Yep. Lens section is here:
http://artaphot.ch/minolta-sr/objektive/465-minolta-200mm-f5

Steve

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2023 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took this lens out yesterday on a trip to Hastings (MINOLTA TELE ROKKOR-QE 1:5 f=200mm)

Example images taken with this rather uncommon Minolta lens are few and far between, so I'm adding a few to this thread. The reduced size ones have had a very small amount of additional sharpening to make them look good at reduced size, but both the 100% crops are straight out of the camera JPEGs only converted from AdobeRGB to sRGB.
The 9 rounded aperture blades help prevent a nervous bokeh.

Shingle beaches are a tough environment for industrial equipment; this poor tractor dozer has seen better days...

#1 - taken at f/8

#2 (100% centre crop of #1) This lens doesn't set any sharpness records but it performs very well for its era.

#3 - taken at f/8

#4 (100% centre crop of #3)

#5 - taken at f/8

This shot of a shiny boat propeller reflecting the sun was just a stop overexposed, but it does show that this lens deals reasonably well with flare-prone conditions, despite its older generation coatings and shiny aperture blades:

#6 - taken at f/8

#7 - taken at f/11

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2023 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice images!

Sadly I missed the only 5/200mm Rokkor I've ever seen here in Switzerland, a few ago. If you could contribute an image of the lens in the "artaphot" style I would love to put it on my website. Of course I would properly give credit to your image rights Wink

S

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2023 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty solid results it seems.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2023 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevemark wrote:
Nice images!

Sadly I missed the only 5/200mm Rokkor I've ever seen here in Switzerland, a few ago. If you could contribute an image of the lens in the "artaphot" style I would love to put it on my website. Of course I would properly give credit to your image rights Wink

S

Happy to try and see what I can do, but it may take a little while; I currently don't have anything I can use to set up as a curved neutral grey background like you have in your lens images. I'll see if I can find something suitable to replicate your lighting setup; a large neutral grey background is going to come in handy anyway.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2023 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

caspert79 wrote:
Pretty solid results it seems.

A few of the Minolta ROKKOR preset lenses are quite decent performers.

They can't quite compete with their modern counterparts, but people are often surprised at how well these old ROKKOR 100/135/200 preset lenses perform.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2023 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blotafton wrote:
Thanks!

2.5m/8ft.

This is the one and only example I've seen. It would be interesting to know how many that were made.

From my records, it appears around 3500 were made/sold so that explains why it is not easy to find (even more so with the original reversible lens shade and case)

[img][/img]

[img]

[/img]

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2023 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone compared this to the Takumar 200/5.6? I’m quite happy with the latter, because it’s so tiny and still quite good.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2023 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

michelb wrote:
From my records, it appears around 3500 were made/sold so that explains why it is not easy to find (even more so with the original reversible lens shade and case)

Yes, that shade is an unusual one for Minolta; it has a vinyl ring on the inside such that when reversed it clamps lightly around the lens, and the cap then clamps around the reversed hood. Hence that only works in conjunction with the original metal lens cap. It is the only Minolta shade in my collection that works that way.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2023 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RokkorDoctor wrote:
stevemark wrote:
Nice images!

S

Happy to try and see what I can do, but it may take a little while; I currently don't have anything I can use to set up as a curved neutral grey background like you have in your lens images. I'll see if I can find something suitable to replicate your lighting setup; a large neutral grey background is going to come in handy anyway.

Thanks a lot - the images below would be sufficient (I can replace the background, and on artaphot the images are low res anyway)!

I'll inform you as soon as I'm done Wink

S

EDIT: here you are ... is it OK? http://www.artaphot.ch/minolta-sr/objektive/465-minolta-200mm-f5

EDIT II: the Tele Rokkors 4/135mm, 5.6/300mm and 4.5/300mm (same series of Tele Rokkors) shouldn't be underestimated as well. Especially the 4/135mm - a simple triplet - can give great results if field curvature isn't an issue, and if you are willing to stop down to f8 or f111. Less CAs than the venerable [4/4] MC/MD Tele Rokkor 2.8/135mm, and very good contrast / detail resolution. Remember ... those early Rokkors were multi coated (long before the other manufacturers made a big fuss about the "multi coated" or "even super multi coated", "Super spectra coated", "T*" or "P. C." lenses ...)

S

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2023 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevemark wrote:
EDIT: here you are ... is it OK? http://www.artaphot.ch/minolta-sr/objektive/465-minolta-200mm-f5

EDIT II: the Tele Rokkors 4/135mm, 5.6/300mm and 4.5/300mm (same series of Tele Rokkors) shouldn't be underestimated as well. Especially the 4/135mm - a simple triplet - can give great results if field curvature isn't an issue, and if you are willing to stop down to f8 or f111. Less CAs than the venerable [4/4] MC/MD Tele Rokkor 2.8/135mm, and very good contrast / detail resolution. Remember ... those early Rokkors were multi coated (long before the other manufacturers made a big fuss about the "multi coated" or "even super multi coated", "Super spectra coated", "T*" or "P. C." lenses ...)

S

The image is fine, but you should give credit to the right person; that image is by michelb (Michel B), not by me! (so that isn't my copy of that lens either Wink )

(from your earlier post I had the impression you had mixed up who posted that image of the lens Wink )

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2023 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RokkorDoctor wrote:
stevemark wrote:

S

The image is fine, but you should give credit to the right person; that image is by michelb (Michel B), not by me! (so that isn't my copy of that lens either Wink )

(from your earlier post I had the impression you had mixed up who posted that image of the lens Wink )

I don't have a backdrop or studio equipment but I can take a picture for your site.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2023 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blotafton wrote:
RokkorDoctor wrote:
stevemark wrote:

S

I don't have a backdrop or studio equipment but I can take a picture for your site.

This is adding to the confusion!

Stephan (stevemark) now already has the image he needs for his site, but he mistakenly thought I had taken that image instead of michelb ...

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2023 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RokkorDoctor wrote:

Oh shit, my mistake ... it was late (too late) when I was adapting that image ... I have taken it offline ... !

S

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2023 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevemark wrote:
RokkorDoctor wrote:

Oh shit, my mistake ... it was late (too late) when I was adapting that image ... I have taken it offline ... !

S

If you were happy with the image maybe you can ask michelb if he minds you putting it back up again (with him/her credited)?

If not, I can provide a similar image now that I know you can easily change the background.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2023 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevemark wrote:

Here is a picture you can use if it's good enough.

About the lens. I just noticed that the preset mechanism doesn't work. The aperture works smoothly in the full range but the preset ring does nothing.

The serial number is kind of interesting too.

Last edited by blotafton on Tue Nov 28, 2023 8:26 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2023 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Stephan (stevemark) now already has the image he needs for his site, but he mistakenly thought I had taken that image instead of michelb ...

I uploaded a sample anyway, now he can choose Very Happy

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2023 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blotafton wrote:
Quote:

Thanks a lot - since I haven't got an answer yet from michelb, I chose your image ...
http://www.artaphot.ch/minolta-sr/objektive/465-minolta-200mm-f5

If you prefer your real name for image credits, just PM me.
Thanks a lot for your help, that's really appreciated.

S

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2023 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevemark wrote:
blotafton wrote:
Quote:

Thanks a lot - since I haven't got an answer yet from michelb, I chose your image ...

S

I'm happy to help it's a really good site you have!

The nickname is fine to use.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2023 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevemark wrote:
blotafton wrote:
Quote:

S

I am OK with you using my picture on your site. Did not see you asked about it

You can choose from these too: https://www.flickr.com/photos/55173440@N08/albums/72157665662212295