Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Schneider XENAR first Tests on 1935-36 Kodak RETINA 118
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 4:06 pm    Post subject: Schneider XENAR first Tests on 1935-36 Kodak RETINA 118 Reply with quote

I was given a Kodak RETINA 118 from 1935-36 with 50mm f3.5 Schneider XENAR lens. I have done some preliminary tests using ORWO NP20 rated 40 ASA and processed in RODINAL 1+50 for 14.5 Mins @ 20oC. It is amazingly sharp at full aperture!
It is 'Un-Coated' of course. Tests were mostly indoors as weather was bad with rain outdoors.
[/b]I slipped up guessing the FOCUS -- the GRASS is sharper behind the Fox. f6.3 used

f3.5 used for this pic of a shell and foliage

Outdoors at 6 meters focus and f9.5 used

Spotlighting -- f16 used

Daylight -- f3.5 used

Only HALF a negative used - NO ANIMALS WERE HARMED during the making of these Images ----

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice indeed. You're amazed at the lens, I'm amazed you could just drop a film into the old thing, and it carried out its job beautifully.

Of course, to ensure the camera is working as it should, the only real test would be to repeat the shot Hillary took with his Type 118 in 1953 -

(from Adventure journal)

Take some woollies mind, Pete.

Wink

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice!!!!!!!!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent results Smile

Next you'll want one of those little rangefinders that slip into the accessory shoe ... 'cept you don't have an accessory shoe so you'd have to use it separately Wink