Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Canon 1Ds Mark II mirror problems with MF lenses?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 5:10 am    Post subject: Canon 1Ds Mark II mirror problems with MF lenses? Reply with quote

I got an old 1Ds Mark II from KEH (.. because it was cheap, and 15 years ago getting a 1-series DSLR was one of my ambitions..)

I have noticed that many if not most of my M42 lenses, even the ones which don't have projections sticking out the back (e.g. 100mm f/4 Super-Macro-Takumar) cause an error when I trip the shutter. The mirror gets locked up and "Err" appears on the top LCD.

This problem does not occur with my 6D or any of my reduced-frame Canon DSLR's.

I know the 5D had a similar issue, but I cannot confirm if this problem exists on the 1Ds II.

Interestingly, I have a Nikon 180mm f/2.8 ED and it works fine on the 1Ds II.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This may help
https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3618442

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

here is the 5D list

https://www.panoramaplanet.de/comp/

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The issue is the mirror is at 45 degrees so its depth is 24mm and it comes up in an arc so it is 24*0.414 further forward at the top, If there is a cleaning setting you may be able to see this. m42 thread may go through the adapter just enough to fowl the mirror.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2019 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slalom wrote:
The issue is the mirror is at 45 degrees so its depth is 24mm and it comes up in an arc so it is 24*0.414 further forward at the top, If there is a cleaning setting you may be able to see this. m42 thread may go through the adapter just enough to fowl the mirror.

It is the back lenses, especially with wide angle lenses that are the problem, not the thread. Usually no problems with longer than 58 mm lenses.