Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Carl Zeiss Planar T* on Yashica FR-1 tests
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 6:22 pm    Post subject: Carl Zeiss Planar T* on Yashica FR-1 tests Reply with quote

I was using my Contax RTS II Quartz and found every shot taken with the Carl Zeiss Planar T* was 'back-focused'
I have experienced this before. So i put the Planar onto my Yashica Fr-1 'Saved from The Dump' as was the Contax and tried f1.4 at a far and medium distance and the sharpness is much better. Film was 01/1991 dated Agfapan 25 rated 20 ASA , processed in my 'Home-Made' FX-4 Formula 1+3 for 12 mins @ 20oC, scanned at 2400 on Canon 900F Mk II + Vuescan Pro + FastStone Image Viewer.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:28 am    Post subject: Re: Carl Zeiss Planar T* on Yashica FR-1 tests Reply with quote

pentaxpete wrote:
I was using my Contax RTS II Quartz and found every shot taken with the Carl Zeiss Planar T* was 'back-focused'
I have experienced this before. So i put the Planar onto my Yashica Fr-1 'Saved from The Dump' as was the Contax and tried f1.4 at a far and medium distance and the sharpness is much better.

I remember similar problems with my (then) Minolta 9000 /9xi / Dynax 9 film cameras and the Minolta AF 1.4/50mm (or AF 1.4/85mm). At f1.4 these lenses was barely usable, probably because of the film slightly deviating from its ideal position. I was astonished to see the real performance of the Minolta 1.4/50mm (let alone the 1.4/85mm) for the first time when i got my first digital SLR (the Dynax 7D). Using f1.4 was no problem at all: The sensor is flat.

S

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read on another Forum the CONTAX may be suffering from 'Mirror Slip' as the mirror is stuck on with sticky tape BUT it does not seem to be out of place at all .

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pentaxpete wrote:
I read on another Forum the CONTAX may be suffering from 'Mirror Slip' as the mirror is stuck on with sticky tape BUT it does not seem to be out of place at all .

Yes, sure - your Contax RTS II seems to be misaligned in some way (mirror? viewfinder?) ... but apart from this, the film flatness is another abundant problem. Zeiss/Kyocera was adressing it with its vacuum system in the RTS III, but sadly i have never worked with an RTS III.

Stephan

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pentaxpete wrote:

Mirror slip won't cause focus problems as the mirror will still be in the correct plane, just moved down a bit.