Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Universar 55mm f/2.8
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2019 12:10 pm    Post subject: Universar 55mm f/2.8 Reply with quote

Tested this summer. The bokeh force is strong in this one.
It reminds me of the Fujinon 55mm f/2.2.

#1 Olmec head found in Sweden lol.

#2 Man enjoying fries.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2019 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 Like 1 Like 1 small

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2019 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps more like other triplets (since it is a triplet).

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2019 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say it's not the usual Cooke triplet by looking at its characteristics and would love to see a schematic.

Compared to a Domiplan and Trioplan this lens has different bokeh shape, large roundish shape at the edges. The others have very distorted shape at the edges.
And is sharp at the edges with quite a flat field unlike the others.

My guess is that it is an unusual triplet or four lens design.

Image #5 shows unusually high edge sharpness.

Edit
After looking at more samples there isn't that big of a difference. It's probably a normal triplet.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2019 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That looks much like Auto Cosinon 55/2.8 (also sold with Sears or Rikenon names) by Cosina
I can't find it's optical diagram just now, but IIRC it is Tessar-like design and not a triplet

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2019 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blotafton wrote:
I'd say it's not the usual Cooke triplet by looking at its characteristics and would love to see a schematic.

Compared to a Domiplan and Trioplan this lens has different bokeh shape, large roundish shape at the edges. The others have very distorted shape at the edges.
And is sharp at the edges with quite a flat field unlike the others.

My guess is that it is an unusual triplet or four lens design.

Image #5 shows unusually high edge sharpness.

Edit
After looking at more samples there isn't that big of a difference. It's probably a normal triplet.

The difference you describe might be due front focusing of this lens. Other lenses have normal focusing.

But i made mistake with Riconar 2.2/55mm and this lens might also have the same (4 elements) optical design:
http://forum.mflenses.com/riconar-55mm-f-22-t77166.html

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2019 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could it be a rebranded Fuji 55 / 2.2 ? The bokeh does look very similar to that of the odd Unar design of the Fuji. Question

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2019 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

C'mon, guys

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2019 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should clarify that in the first post I was referring to the output being similar to that of the Fujinon 55mm 2.2. Cosina is probably the maker as pointed out.

I have the Fujinon and Riconar mentioned earlier and they are not the same as the Universar in barrel construction.

Here is my old thread of the Rikenon 55mm f/2.8 for more information.

http://forum.mflenses.com/auto-rikenon-55mm-f-2-8-t75938.html