Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Converting a Pentax K lens to use on Canon 5D MKII
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2020 5:41 pm    Post subject: Converting a Pentax K lens to use on Canon 5D MKII Reply with quote

I recently bought a Pentax K 28mm f3.5 for my Sony A6000 but would like to use it on my full frame Canon EOS 5D MKII.
How can I non destructively convert the lens so that the actuation lever and protection flange do not interfere with the mirror on my Canon?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2020 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are PK-EOS adapters which mount the lens rotated 90 degrees or so -- works for some K-mount lenses. However, since at infinity the mirror hits the M42 1:3.5/28mm Takumars, and the SMC Pentax K version share the same optical formula, suspect the same.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2020 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

visualopsins wrote:
There are PK-EOS adapters which mount the lens rotated 90 degrees or so -- works for some K-mount lenses. However, since at infinity the mirror hits the M42 1:3.5/28mm Takumars, and the SMC Pentax K version share the same optical formula, suspect the same.

Eugene, this is my problem. I don't want to cut off the flange and bend the actuator lever if at all possible.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2020 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DigiChromeEd wrote:
. . .

I don't want to cut off the flange and bend the actuator lever if at all possible.

Having owned several Pentak K lenses and a Canon 5D, I've run into the same issue. I've never owned a K 28mm f/3.5, but the Pentax K fast 50s I dabbled with didn't appear to have a simple way to non destructively disconnect the aperture lever.

As I recall, I went as far as removing the mount on some lenses but I was afraid to dig deeper. And I never tried bending the lever, but it appears that would require removing the rear baffle / dust seal or at least cutting or grinding down the lever shield.

I hope I'm wrong. It would be nice to know if there is a reasonably easy, reversible method.