Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Helios-44M-7, how to remove letter-ring?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:06 am    Post subject: Helios-44M-7, how to remove letter-ring? Reply with quote

Hi, I am need of some help (again).

I am unable to remove the front-ring of a Helios-44M-7 (the ring with the letters on it, I do not know the exact term for it).

I can make it turn but it does not unscrew. It keeps on turning without end.
It is possible to lift this ring at one side but it doesn't come of. And I am afraid to brake it if I use more force.

So does somebody know what the trick is to remove this ring?

Thanks in advance for all possible help.

Edit: after fiddling with it for more then an hour I somehow managed to get that ring of.
I do not know if I would be able to do it a second time and I still do not have a clue what kind of trick should be used to get it of easily.

The ring is made out of plastic and at the back it's has 12 small flat 'dents' sticking out with a small wider section at the top of them.
So that ring simply clicks over a metal ring inside the lens. And the dents hook over that ring.
Very simple to assemble but practically impossible to take it apart again.

I hate those kind of systems...

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, you've figured it out: it's a clip-on rather than a screw-on plate.
The good thing about them is they can't be jammed and render lens unserviceable, the bad: they love to break.

Also, some of the clip-on plates sit so close to the front lens, removing them feels a bit like defusing a bomb.

Good luck with your lens service!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aidaho wrote:
Yeah, you've figured it out: it's a clip-on rather than a screw-on plate.
The good thing about them is they can't be jammed and render lens unserviceable, the bad: they love to break.

Also, some of the clip-on plates sit so close to the front lens, removing them feels a bit like defusing a bomb.

Good luck with your lens service!

Good to know that this is called a clip-on so that I can write it correctly on my list of things that I hate, hahaha.

The lens service has already been done. Thanks.
After taking off that ring the rest was dead-simpel.
The lens had a focus-ring that was too stiff and because of that the screws that keep that ring in place had come loose.
Because of this the focus-ring was slipping.
Cleaning and re-lubing the lens was easy. It only took me a few adjustments to get the helicoid in the perfect position again.

Putting back that clip-on plate was rather easy as well Wink.

But still, if somebody knows an easy way to get that darned ring off I would be glad to hear it.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2020 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, I'm having problems with that lens too. My focus ring twists without affecting lens movement and so the focus is stuck at around 4-5 meters...

What should I do?