Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Color-Skopar X 50mm question
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:07 pm    Post subject: Color-Skopar X 50mm question Reply with quote

I have this lens in DKL mount. What do you think about its performance?
My copy is not good at f/2.8, kind of fuzzy and worse than my Domiplan 50mm. But has good sharpness at f/8.
Is the Domiplan supposed to be better?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Color Skopar (with or without an X, that doesn't make a difference) 50/2,8 is a Tessar construction, four lenses in three groups, and it owns the advantages and disadvantages of this construction.

In the centre it is sharp and contrasty from f/2,8, both on FF and on APS.
The edges are a different thing. At f/2,8 they are not usable, and you have to stop down to f/5,6 or f/8 for sharp edges.

I don't know the Domiplan, so I can't compare.

I don't use the Color Skopar often, but only because I normally use the Rodenstock Ysarex 50/2,8, also a Tessar construction, whose Bokeh I like better. The sharpness of the two is the same.

Here are some photos taken with the color skopar.

That was with f/5,6 (probably) or f/8.

Taken with f/5,6.

This is wide open f/2,8 with the focus on the top of the gate.

Here is a detail from that photo (the centre; the edges are not usable):

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The sharpest aperture of the skopar 2,8/50 is un the range of F/8-11.

The X versión is the first in DKL mount. The latter is without the X.

The Tessar 2,8/50 for the Icarex cameras should be actually the Skopar.

In anyway the DKL is by far better than the RF version.

Very good lens at F/11.

Creamy colors

See of you want

http://www.klassik-cameras.de/Bessa_RF_histo_dt.html

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the samples, looks similar to what I get. Stopped down does indeed look good. About "creamy colors" there is a hard to define look to it that sets it apart from newer more advanced lenses when stopped down.

There is probably nothing wrong with my lens. I guess some Cooke triplets can just be really good.

#1 f/2.8

#2 around f/5.6

#3 Focus plane test

#4 2.8 crop. The "fuzzyness"