Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

False adverts ruining ebay
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:03 pm    Post subject: False adverts ruining ebay Reply with quote

A trend I am seeing lately on ebay is to add a tag of some high end lens to your run of the mill lens. bisbee233 out of Cincinnati has it added to nearly every offering. I have seen it on others as well. This is the route forward to unsearchable. If even one in 10 lens seller did this a search for any real angenieux will be swamped by tens of thousands of random listings. I'm not a fan of this BS. Not sure if anything really can be done but I did ask on one isco if angenieux made it.anyway thanks for listening to me vent.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:10 pm    Post subject: Re: False adverts ruining ebay Reply with quote

jamaeolus wrote:
A trend I am seeing lately on ebay is to add a tag of some high end lens to your run of the mill lens. bisbee233 out of Cincinnati has it added to nearly every offering. I have seen it on others as well. This is the route forward to unsearchable. If even one in 10 lens seller did this a search for any real angenieux will be swamped by tens of thousands of random listings. I'm not a fan of this BS. Not sure if anything really can be done but I did ask on one isco if angenieux made it.anyway thanks for listening to me vent.

I think you can report it. EBay has such a function.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:46 pm    Post subject: Re: False adverts ruining ebay Reply with quote

jamaeolus wrote:

I'm not saying it doesn't happen, I'm sure it does, but eBay can also be at fault, in some circumstances, where it's "artificial intelligence" performs a "best guess" completion of a lot of the description fields and the seller doesn't pick up on it (or possibly doesn't even realise it's happening)!

All too often I do a search for "pentax lens" and get presented with something for a Canon, or search for "adaptall" and get offered other Tamron products that are clearly not "adaptall", nor is there anything in the seller's description that refers to it as such, but hidden away in the "Item Specifics" section is a whole bunch of stuff that has no relevance to the item being sold ... I know from personal experience this information is presented with a lot of the fields pre-filled and it's up to the seller to change them, assuming they notice it's happened and needs to be dealt with!

YMMV Wink

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw one vendor in England who headlines their listing with some spiel about bubbly bokeh, and adds pictures in they took with a Fuji 55/2.2. They then go on to tell you in the listing that the picture is from a different lens from the one you (possibly) just put a hurried bid on. Thens there's the vendors who drop the lens on the floor accidentally 15 minutes before the auction ends for a decently low price with you the only bidder, and now they can't sell it to you. Others just cancel the sale and you've got no come back, you can't even leave feedback. And of course, the ones who didn't like the final price, and then you never hear from them again. Those ones cop it full force from myself in the feedback, after I get the refund.

Ebay could help, if they weren't busy spamming the last remaining life force out of you with 'sponsored' items dominating the first few results of any search. It's particularly jarring when you search with the 'lowest price' sorting selected, and all you can see initially is several bizarrely overpriced figments of some sellers imagination(s). Don't even get me started on venders listing their filters and hoods in the lens section.

Conversely though, having an ebay deluged with unrelated b*ll*cks helps to obscure the gems from other searchers too, so it could end up being a boon if you're the person that finds their way through the maze and gets their hands on the prize...

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

its is definitely the seller in this case. The word is appended to the end of the name of the listing. eg https://www.ebay.com/itm/Rodenstock-Heligon-50mm-1-9-Vintage-Camera-Exakta-Exa-Mount-Lens-Angenieux/174024537892?hash=item2884abb724:g:ZAIAAOSwjoxddaoa

I can see why someone would do it. Try to draw the eyeballs of folk with the money to waste on angenieux collectibles. It is not a very good look though IMHO. I prefer honesty. At least GoKevin is honest about his listing (though generally stratospherically priced!)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't know you could report sellers. I have done so, thanks for that.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another issue that has cropped up in a search of used microscopes. There were literally thousands of listings for brand new microscopes, this in the used microscopes section. I am trying to learn a bit about them, seeing what is available to search internet info sites. When you go through a full page of ostensibly used microscopes (100) and only 2 were actually used its a problem.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can understand including a brand that is well known to share the same mount, I see Topcor included with many 3rd party Exakta mount lenses as a way to increase the number of views of the auction, in general I don't mind it so long as there is a plausible connection.
I don't like it when they list brands that don't have any connection, it erodes the usefulness of the search function, like if every camera/lens/adapter listing added 'Canon Nikon Nikkor Zeiss Leica Sony Minolta Olympus Fuji Pentax' to the description just for more exposure, you can see that searching for something that's made by one those companies just became much harder to find, you'll have to add '-brand name' for everything you don't want... Something I have to do once in a while as it is when I'm getting 1000's of results.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jamaeolus wrote:

On desktop webpage or phone app, you can report item. I did it before for misleading search results like this. But I am not sure if ebay will
actually do anything, as they want more listings and more people to buy stuff so they can make more money.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vivaldibow wrote:
jamaeolus wrote:

On desktop webpage or phone app, you can report item. I did it before for misleading search results like this. But I am not sure if ebay will
actually do anything, as they want more listings and more people to buy stuff so they can make more money.

Make sure you point out that it's preventing you finding things when you report it. If you highlight to e-bay the practice is costing them sales they might do something about it.

If I was to buy a lens described like that I'd probably raise a case that it's not as described & get a reduction Smile

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see it dozens of times every day. What these a-holes have not figured out yet is that if someone buys from them by mistake and then asks for a return eBay will side with the buyer every time. It does not matter what the listing says - it's in the picture - you are on the hook.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've certainly seen this before, and it is annoying. It doesn't bother me too much really, but it seems a bit nonsensical.

Why would you want to attract people who are searching for something that's not what you're selling? I'm pretty sure someone searching for angenieux knows what an Angenieux is, and that it's not a Takumar or a Zuiko.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is not just for photographic hardware.

Sellers of cacti were adding species they were not selling to their listing titles to get them returned in searches e.g. "Mammillaria NO Ariocarpus" when they are selling a Mammillaria, not an Ariocarpus. The NO part would often include three desirable genera.

This was rampant, making it very time-consuming to search through search results. I emailed Ebay Customer Support about this and I am not seeing much of it now.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2019 8:09 am    Post subject: Re: False adverts ruining ebay Reply with quote

jamaeolus wrote:

That was once banned by ebay called "keyword spamming" - Now they don't care anymore, because it is teh sellers that bring in the money, not the buyers!

KINOPTIK, ANGENIEUX etc. and other keywords I see attributed to lenses which certainly have nothing at all to do with the lens being sold. Gets indeed very difficult to find anything anymore...

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2019 10:43 am    Post subject: Re: False adverts ruining ebay Reply with quote

kds315* wrote:
jamaeolus wrote:

That was once banned by ebay called "keyword spamming" - Now they don't care anymore, because it is teh sellers that bring in the money, not the buyers!

KINOPTIK, ANGENIEUX etc. and other keywords I see attributed to lenses which certainly have nothing at all to do with the lens being sold. Gets indeed very difficult to find anything anymore...

You might exclude the sellers who perform keyword spamming in your search. Which helps to reduce the chance finding unrelated items.
https://www.patrickgreenough.com/ebay/how-to-exclude-ebay-listings-by-seller-in-search

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jamaeolus wrote:
Another issue that has cropped up in a search of used microscopes. There were literally thousands of listings for brand new microscopes, this in the used microscopes section. I am trying to learn a bit about them, seeing what is available to search internet info sites. When you go through a full page of ostensibly used microscopes (100) and only 2 were actually used its a problem.

I enjoy microscopy too, but I've never seen a good used one for me. There are lots ranging from victorian to just post ww2 at reasonable prices. Problem is that a standard microscope wont stand the weight of even a small mirrorless camera without creeping out of focus - because you mount it on the focus tube.

Stage focusing instruments are the way to go there, but (cheap) new ones, and inexpensive used ones tend to suffer from CA as a result of the prism.

I sold my 1940's baker to buy a new one. I wish I hadn't, I'll put up with focus creep but CA even at 40x is too much

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Russian seller, guess he beats that easily. Look what he puts on the footer of EVERY sales ad:
((quote))
Possible sale of lenses in the future:
PANCHRO / CARL MEYER SUPER SPEED / bioter / telepohne / velostigmat / Angenieux / LEICA R / Boyer SAPHIR / ARRIFLEX / BELL HOWELL / BERLIN OPTIK / ERNOSTAR / RAPTAR / KODAK EKTAR / FASTAX / PIL TILILILKILKILKILKILKILK / PAGCH,Mueller - SUPER SPEED ASTRO MOVIES / PRIMOBOLAN / ENNA WERK MUNCHEN / SCHACHT / ISCO GOTTINGEN 100MM / KURT BENTIN / MACRO PLASMAT / KOMURA 85 / MOVIE CAMERA / cine LENS / MITCHELL / ABOUT RAPTOR / PANCHRO 75MM/2.3/SUPER BALTAR 75,100,35,TURION-MUKON-MUKON / KOWA / ARRIFLEX/PAILLARD/BOLEX/EYEMO 71/LEICA R 49/SUMMICRON/ENNALYT/ENNASTONE/CULMINAR/SOLIGOR / MIRANDA / MAMIYAONOXEN / HORGEN AJACOBSON / Veloria MARINE COUNCIL URKS NIKKOR / NIPPON Kohaku / OLD BRASS / AIR CRAFT / VARIO ZOOM / TELEZENITAR / HELIOS / ELYON-ROLF KIPON / gust / gust / gust / gust / gust / gust / gust / gust / gust / impulse OPOLE /MITCHEL/PANCHROTAL/GOERZ BERLIN OPTIK/PIESKER BERLIN/PAN TACHAR/SOLIGOR 85/KODAK ROCHESTER/AMOTAL/MILVUS/OTUS/SEPT PARIS/VELOSTIGMAT/COVOGON/ROYER/BALTAR/XENAR/XENON /BERTHIOT/KRAUSS/SCHNAIDER KREUXNACH/DAGOR/FASTAX 50/NIPPON KOGAKU/LEITZ/LEICA M39/EXAKTA/EXA/EXA/VIVITAR/KIRON/ROKUNAR/SANS STREIFFE /TAYLOR HOBSON/BURKE JAMES/PRIMOTAR/BUSCH PRESSMAN/CARL ZEISS/EDIXA REFLEX/WESTAGON/BEE-BEE/ULTRA-MICRO-NIKKOR/VINTEN F95/TELEZENITAR/SUPER-ROTATOR/PICON/CANON EF/QUINAR/TRIOPLAN/PRIMOPLAN 75-58MM/ROSS RAPID/CHINON/MACRO/ORESTOR/DISTAGON/SIGMA ART/CASSARIT/PRAKTICA/helios 40/ FX/PRIMARFLEX/KINOTAR/KILFITT/KILAR/ZOOMAR/ZOOMATAR/VOIGTLANDER SCOPAR/ERNOSTAR/ERNEMANN/PAXETTE/BRAUN/MILTAR EFL/GAUSS/OPOLE / OPOLE / URGENT / FUNCTION FUJICA / SUN / SOLARIS / DUMONT CRO / SCHNAIDER / OTUS / APO LANTHAR /COOKE/DEBRIE CAMERA/SEPT/ANGENIEUX 100-X/ROYER CAMERA/FIGHT / BIOTAR 75MM/58/ JUPITER 9/MC/PL / CAMERA / ELCAN / PANCOLAR / BOLEKS / PAILAN / POOL / TANK / PENTAX KX / 1000 / HASSELBLAD / CAN / PENTACONONONOS / MINO ASAHI / Takumar / Adobe / APPOLO.
((UNQUOTE))

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kds315* wrote:
Russian seller, guess he beats that easily. Look what he puts on the footer of EVERY sales ad:
At least, this is easy to avoid, by limiting the search to ad title only.

On my local (non-ebay) sales-site, the site often changes my search terms, so I have to enter my search keywords again, confirm it's the keywords I want to use, and then results still includes many Canon/Sony/Nikon-stuff when I'm looking for Pentax-stuff. Contacted the site, the answer was something down the lines of "we're trying to help you find relevant items".
However, they were unable to clarify how a Nikon-lens is helpful or relevant when I'm looking for something for a Pentax-camera Laughing