Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Recommend me a 50/55mm lens
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 9:32 pm    Post subject: Recommend me a 50/55mm lens Reply with quote

I have a Cambo Actus and am looking for a 50 or 55mm lens that I can adapt to a Canon Eos mount. I need to be able to tilt the lens a few degrees and shift the lens a few millimetres and still get sharp corners at f8-11 at infinity. So, something with a larger than usual image circle. I'm not bothered about performance at maximum aperture or bokeh. This is purely for front to back sharp landscapes.

I've tried a Mamiya 645 55mm lens which is OK but it doesn't match my copy of a Canon FD 50mm f1.4 - but unfortunately I can't achieve infinity focus with it.

Thanks in advance

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 11:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Recommend me a 50/55mm lens Reply with quote

Alba wrote:
I have a Cambo Actus and am looking for a 50 or 55mm lens that I can adapt to a Canon Eos mount. I need to be able to tilt the lens a few degrees and shift the lens a few millimetres and still get sharp corners at f8-11 at infinity. So, something with a larger than usual image circle. I'm not bothered about performance at maximum aperture or bokeh. This is purely for front to back sharp landscapes.

I've tried a Mamiya 645 55mm lens which is OK but it doesn't match my copy of a Canon FD 50mm f1.4 - but unfortunately I can't achieve infinity focus with it.

Thanks in advance

Your canon is a very sharp lens.

I had IT and the 55/1,2 ssc. Both very good lenses.

My Mamiya sekor SX 55/1,8 is sharper in the center at f/2 8 to F/11.

But not at the corners.

My vote for the mamiya

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2019 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since you're after a larger image circle, perhaps a larger medium format lens would be the ticket for you. I recommend the 55mm f/3.5 or f/4 lens for the Pentax 67. Because of its 6x7 film format size, this should give you plenty of movement capability. I've never shot with the 55mm (I opted for the 45mm instead), but by all accounts I've read and seen the 55mm lens for the Pentax 67 is an excellent optic. Not too expensive, either.

Here are some reviews of the two lenses over at the Pentax Forums. The first link is for the earlier f/3.5 optic and the second link is for the later f/4 optic.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/lensreviews/SMC-Pentax-Takumar-6x7-55mm-F3.5-Lens.html

https://www.pentaxforums.com/lensreviews/SMC-Pentax-6x7-55mm-F4-Lens.html

I just checked eBay and Pentax 67 lens to EOS camera adapters are available.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2019 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks.

Having seen the Canon FD 50mm 1.4 corners that is my benchmark so that probably rules out the Mamiya SX. The Pentax 67 55mm F3.5 is just too heavy and the filter size is too big for me. The F4 version might be interesting but again its a touch on the heavy side.

The ideal lens for my needs will be lightweight and with a filter size of 77mm or less.

I had considered the Pentax 645 55mm but the reviews I've found are not that convincing.

For those not aware, the Actus has its own focus rail and bellows, so a lens without helicoid is fine.

I only need 2 or 3mm extra for shifting, I'm not trying to stitch panos.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2019 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheap and cheerful.
Yashica ML 50mm f2
Tom

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2019 1:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Recommend me a 50/55mm lens Reply with quote

Alba wrote:

Thanks in advance

I have been testing some of the classic Mamiya 645 lenses on 24 MP FF. Some tele lenses are very good (if nod outstanding, compared to the best contemporary MF full frame lenses). The Sekor C wideangles however (2.5/55, 2.8/45mm bot versions, 3.5/35mm) can't compete with a FF lens of the same focal length. So i'm not surprised about your findings.

If quality is important, I would recommend a modern 55mm lens for (digital) medium format, such as the Schneider/Mamiya 2.8/55mm. Used samples are in the EUR/USD 1500.-- range. The lens is excellent, and it covers the image circle you need.

The second suggestion would be a AF Micro Nikkor 2.8/60mm. Due to its slightly larger focal length (and its impressive performance) i suspect it has a relatively large image circle.

If you should prefer vintage MF lenses calculated for the 35mm "full frame" SLRs, i would go for 55mm or 58mm lenses. These lenses, stopped down to f11, usually have a larger image circle than the later 50mm stuff.

The Fujinon 1.8/55mm (M42 mount), for example, has very well defined corners even at f1.8 (much better than the Canon FD 1.4/50mm !!). This indicates a large image circle. Another possible winner might be the RE Topcor 1.8/58mm (not to be confused with earlier 1.8/5.8cm variants). The Minolta MC-II 1.2/58mm has an extremely high detail resolution at f8 or f11, but it can't be adapted to your EOS mount (better corners than the FD 1.4/50mm). Also the AiS Micro Nikkor 2.8/55mm might be worth a try.

Stephan

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2019 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember looking at 35mm lenses adapted to Fuji GFX medium format and a MC Rokkor 55mm f/1.7 did well. Unfortunately you will probably have issues with infinity focus with that lens as well but it might be worth looking at forum threads discussing the topic to find something that works.

How about high end enlarging lenses? They are really sharp at least.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2019 8:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Recommend me a 50/55mm lens Reply with quote

stevemark wrote:
The Fujinon 1.8/55mm (M42 mount), for example, has very well defined corners even at f1.8

Of the old 55s I've tried (and 50s too, I think), this Fujinon is the sharpest. The macro shots I've gotten with it are stunning. I don't shoot a lot of landscapes, but the ones I've taken with it were excellent. It has great color saturation too.

I don't know whether the image circle will be right for you, but it's worth investigating.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2019 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since you prefer a smaller, lighter lens and since you don't need a focusing helical, I got to thinking about enlarging lenses. I found this site that lists just about every enlarging lens ever made, and it includes the image sizes they cover. Go here:

http://www.photocornucopia.com/1061.html

I found over a half-dozen lenses ranging in focal lengths from 50mm to 60mm that have image circles of 40x40mm or greater.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2019 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldhand wrote:
Cheap and cheerful.
Yashica ML 50mm f2
Tom

Thanks Tom,
I'll look into this one - I found a reasonable review here - https://www.ephotozine.com/article/yashica-ml-50mm-f-1-4-classic-lens-review-31221 tested om a 50MP Canon. Nice and cheap!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2019 7:16 am    Post subject: Re: Recommend me a 50/55mm lens Reply with quote

Thank you Stephan.

stevemark wrote:

I have been testing some of the classic Mamiya 645 lenses on 24 MP FF. Some tele lenses are very good (if nod outstanding, compared to the best contemporary MF full frame lenses). The Sekor C wideangles however (2.5/55, 2.8/45mm bot versions, 3.5/35mm) can't compete with a FF lens of the same focal length. So i'm not surprised about your findings.

On 24MP FF also, I really like the Mamiya 150 F2.8 and Pentax-A 300mm F4 ED(IF). Yes, shorter lenses are not so good but the Pentax A 35mm F3.5 is very nice and I'm happy shifting that lens.

Quote:
If quality is important, I would recommend a modern 55mm lens for (digital) medium format, such as the Schneider/Mamiya 2.8/55mm. Used samples are in the EUR/USD 1500.-- range. The lens is excellent, and it covers the image circle you need.

One to save up for maybe!

Quote:
The second suggestion would be a AF Micro Nikkor 2.8/60mm. Due to its slightly larger focal length (and its impressive performance) i suspect it has a relatively large image circle.

I'll put that one on my list.

Quote:
If you should prefer vintage MF lenses calculated for the 35mm "full frame" SLRs, i would go for 55mm or 58mm lenses. These lenses, stopped down to f11, usually have a larger image circle than the later 50mm stuff.

Good info, thanks.

Quote:
The Fujinon 1.8/55mm (M42 mount), for example, has very well defined corners even at f1.8 (much better than the Canon FD 1.4/50mm !!). This indicates a large image circle. Another possible winner might be the RE Topcor 1.8/58mm (not to be confused with earlier 1.8/5.8cm variants). The Minolta MC-II 1.2/58mm has an extremely high detail resolution at f8 or f11, but it can't be adapted to your EOS mount (better corners than the FD 1.4/50mm). Also the AiS Micro Nikkor 2.8/55mm might be worth a try.

Lots to investigate there. There is room to shorten the flange distance on the Actus so I might be able to squeeze on a Minolta MD/MC or Canon FD. I think it will be tight though and movements will be restricted.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2019 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

blotafton wrote:
I remember looking at 35mm lenses adapted to Fuji GFX medium format and a MC Rokkor 55mm f/1.7 did well. Unfortunately you will probably have issues with infinity focus with that lens as well but it might be worth looking at forum threads discussing the topic to find something that works.

How about high end enlarging lenses? They are really sharp at least.

Many thanks.

Being a bellows camera I might be able to move the Canon EOS mount back enough to focus a Minolta MC at infinity. I'll let you know.

I've been using a Apo-Rodagon-N 2.8/50 which I was happy with until I compared it to the Canon FD 50mm f1.4 - that's what happens when you pixel peep I guess! I also have a Rodagon 60mmWA which looks good but I need to do more testing. I'm happy with the Apo-Rodagon-N 4/80 and the Apo-Rodagon-N 4/105 is superb.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2019 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:
Quote:

Since you prefer a smaller, lighter lens and since you don't need a focusing helical, I got to thinking about enlarging lenses. I found this site that lists just about every enlarging lens ever made, and it includes the image sizes they cover. Go here:

http://www.photocornucopia.com/1061.html

I found over a half-dozen lenses ranging in focal lengths from 50mm to 60mm that have image circles of 40x40mm or greater.

Thanks Michael, I've use that site a lot, its a great resource.

I've tried two copies of the Apo-Rodagon-N 2.8/50 which were OK but not as good as the Canon FD 50mm in the corners. It seems that longer focal length enlarger lenses are better, even excellent in the case of the Apo-Rodagon-N 2.8/105 which I'm happy to shift 10mm either side. As the Apo Rodagon Ns are supposed to be the best I haven't yet investigated further except for a El-Nikkor 50mm F4 N which was poor.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2019 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I have found that even with bag bellows on the Cambo Actus the Canon FD lenses wont focus at infinity. There is a chance that the Minolta lenses might but I dont have an adapter to try. I'm pretty sure that its possible to convert a M39 Actus lens plate to Minolta SR and that would work with the bag bellows. However, thats inconvenient for other reasons.

I have managed to get hold of a Nikon 50mm F1.8 Ai-s Pancake lens to test. Fingers crossed.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2019 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The nikon 50mm f1.8 is ok, but not greatly different from any other decent 50mm f1.8 I've tried, certainly pretty sharp by f5.6. The micro nikkor 55mm f2.8 on the other hand is exceptional corner to corner, even at f2.8. I've got one of the rare original AF versions that does 1:1 magnification. The AI-s manual focus version uses the same optics but only focuses down to 1:2 mag.

If you want a sharp mamiya 645 wide angle, might I suggest the 50mm f4 shift lens. I've got the newer AF 55mm f2.8 and found that it performs very well on my AFD with film but cannot try it on digital. (AF 645 lenses will not fit on my fotodiox adaptor) I also seem to have a pretty decent copy of the 35mm f3.5 as that seems to be pretty sharp into the corners on my 645. The 80mm f1.9/f2.8, 120mm f4 macro and 150mm f2.8 A really are exceptional. I've been keeping my eyes peeled for a 200mm APO and a 210mm f4.5 APO for my RZ67.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kei wrote:
The nikon 50mm f1.8 is ok, but not greatly different from any other decent 50mm f1.8 I've tried, certainly pretty sharp by f5.6. The micro nikkor 55mm f2.8 on the other hand is exceptional corner to corner, even at f2.8. I've got one of the rare original AF versions that does 1:1 magnification. The AI-s manual focus version uses the same optics but only focuses down to 1:2 mag.

If you want a sharp mamiya 645 wide angle, might I suggest the 50mm f4 shift lens. I've got the newer AF 55mm f2.8 and found that it performs very well on my AFD with film but cannot try it on digital. (AF 645 lenses will not fit on my fotodiox adaptor) I also seem to have a pretty decent copy of the 35mm f3.5 as that seems to be pretty sharp into the corners on my 645. The 80mm f1.9/f2.8, 120mm f4 macro and 150mm f2.8 A really are exceptional. I've been keeping my eyes peeled for a 200mm APO and a 210mm f4.5 APO for my RZ67.

Thanks Kei. The Nikon 50 f1.8 looks good so far but I haven't had time to do a direct comparison yet. I've thought about the Mamiya 50mm f4 shift lens often and perhaps one day I'll try one out - its a bit on the heavy side though. More info here if anyone is interested - http://ianbfoto.com/downloads/Mamiya%20645/Mamiya_645_50mm_f4_Shift_Lens.pdf

I have the Mamiya 645 80mm f2,8 which matches my Rodagon Apo 80mm f4 N enlarger lens in performance. I haven't tried the 120mm macro (I have the Pentax version) and agree with you about the 150mm f2.8 - exceptional.

Mamiya RB67. I still have my old camera and a range of the latest lens. I cant believe I used to climb mountains with that gear on my back! Lovely gear and great images.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am a big fan of the P67 55mm f4 last version. It is really sharp.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's one of the lenses I recommended, but alba was objecting about it because he felt it might be too heavy. I don't own a 55/4, but if the late 45/4 -- which I do own -- is any indication, then I wouldn't characterize it as a heavy lens. My 45 sure isn't. I just went and grabbed hold of it and hefted it a bit, and the word "heavy" just doesn't come to mind -- rather "light" does. It seems like all the late P67 lenses share this trait -- or most of them, at any rate -- that is, they're light. I also own a late 200mm f/4 and it is remarkably light for its size and focal length. I just looked up the 55/4's weight: 615 grams, or 22 oz. To me, that's pretty light. My Canon FD 55mm f/1.2 SSC weighs more than that.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Re the P67 55mm f4

It seems I should look at that one also for my collection. On its own the weight is OK, its just its cumulative effect in my camera bag

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you add the adapter and the actus you really start getting some volume as well. The P67 55 f4 is not a small lens. But most of my best shots have been taken with it (including my avatar). See here:

http://forum.mflenses.com/pentax-67-55mm-f4-on-canon-60d-with-macro-tubes-t73530.html