Home
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Tair-33 vs Nikkor ED-IF 4.5/300mm vs Mamyia Sekor 5.6/300mm
View previous topic :: View next topic  


PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 4:14 pm    Post subject: Tair-33 vs Nikkor ED-IF 4.5/300mm vs Mamyia Sekor 5.6/300mm Reply with quote

Today I got a mint sample of the Tair-33. I've been intrigued in this lens for quite some time, but never managed to get a nice sample at a reasonable price, up to now.

First, let's look at the well known ED-IF Nikkor 4.5/300mm. Here a 100% crop from the extreme corner of the 24MP FF Sony A7II JPG. The first image was taken at f5.6, the second at f11:



Now the much underrated Mamiya Sekor C 5.6/300mm (later also sold as "ULD"), again firts at f5.6, then at f11:



Finally the Tair-33 in its newest version. First image at f5.6, second crop at f11:




It is clear that the Nikkor is well corrected in monochromatic light, especially wide open. However, it suffers from lots of lateral CAs, and stopping down decreases the general performance.

The Mamiya, not an IF lens, is one of the best vintage 300mm lenses i know. Both its general correction as well as the CA suppression is very well done. On 24MP full frame it can be used wide open without hesitation.

Finally the Tair! CAs are exceptionally well corrected (does anyone know the glass they used?), but wide open and at f5.6 the corners are still pretty much missing the details. Stopping down to f8 helps a lot, and at f11 the entire FF image is crystal clear - the best I have ever seen from a vintage 300mm lens, only comparable to the legendary Canon FL-F 5.6/300mm which has two (!) fluorite lenses in its front group.

Stephan


PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2019 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like more Tair-3, tair-33 is medoum format lens and have worse resolution, as it little brother )
I'm using photosniper kit with tair-3 and it looks pretty nice. Not pixel sharp wide open, but very good, even for pixel peeping at f8, still have enough resolution for 24mp crop sensor.


PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

linebrell wrote:
Looks like more Tair-3, tair-33 is medoum format lens and have worse resolution, as it little brother )
I'm using photosniper kit with tair-3 and it looks pretty nice. Not pixel sharp wide open, but very good, even for pixel peeping at f8, still have enough resolution for 24mp crop sensor.


I have been using the Tair-33 medium format lens here, as stated in the title. Same size and weight as the Canon FD 2.8/300mm Fluorite ...

Stephan


PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevemark wrote:
linebrell wrote:
Looks like more Tair-3, tair-33 is medoum format lens and have worse resolution, as it little brother )
I'm using photosniper kit with tair-3 and it looks pretty nice. Not pixel sharp wide open, but very good, even for pixel peeping at f8, still have enough resolution for 24mp crop sensor.


I have been using the Tair-33 medium format lens here, as stated in the title. Same size and weight as the Canon FD 2.8/300mm Fluorite ...

Stephan


Oh, my fault. In Russia people often confuses with -3 and-33 types )


PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 8:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Tair-33 vs Nikkor ED-IF 4.5/300mm vs Mamyia Sekor 5.6/30 Reply with quote

stevemark wrote:
Today I got a mint sample of the Tair-33. I've been intrigued in this lens for quite some time, but never managed to get a nice sample at a reasonable price, up to now.

First, let's look at the well known ED-IF Nikkor 4.5/300mm. Here a 100% crop from the extreme corner of the 24MP FF Sony A7II JPG. The first image was taken at f5.6, the second at f11:



Now the much underrated Mamiya Sekor C 5.6/300mm (later also sold as "ULD"), again firts at f5.6, then at f11:



Finally the Tair-33 in its newest version. First image at f5.6, second crop at f11:




It is clear that the Nikkor is well corrected in monochromatic light, especially wide open. However, it suffers from lots of lateral CAs, and stopping down decreases the general performance.

The Mamiya, not an IF lens, is one of the best vintage 300mm lenses i know. Both its general correction as well as the CA suppression is very well done. On 24MP full frame it can be used wide open without hesitation.

Finally the Tair! CAs are exceptionally well corrected (does anyone know the glass they used?), but wide open and at f5.6 the corners are still pretty much missing the details. Stopping down to f8 helps a lot, and at f11 the entire FF image is crystal clear - the best I have ever seen from a vintage 300mm lens, only comparable to the legendary Canon FL-F 5.6/300mm which has two (!) fluorite lenses in its front group.

Stephan


Well,

This comparison is not fair for the Nikon,a 24x36mm lens,versus medium format lenses,that use only their sweet spots.

And yes,Mamiya Sekor ULD 300/5.6 that I have is even better than the already decent Sekor C you presented - not a tiniest trace of CA can be found on the Sony A72.


PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2019 1:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Tair-33 vs Nikkor ED-IF 4.5/300mm vs Mamyia Sekor 5.6/30 Reply with quote

shapencolour wrote:

Well,

This comparison is not fair for the Nikon,a 24x36mm lens,versus medium format lenses,that use only their sweet spots.

And yes,Mamiya Sekor ULD 300/5.6 that I have is even better than the already decent Sekor C you presented - not a tiniest trace of CA can be found on the Sony A72.


Yes, from a theoretical point it may not be fair.

In practice, however many vintage 24x36mm tele lenses do cover a larger image circle (the first Nikkor 2.8/300mm was 6x6cm, the large Leica Apo Telyt lenses cover at least the 30x45mm of the S2 ...). And - even more important: my intention was to show the capabilities of some adapted medium format lenses on the 24x36mm sensors. Some of these medium format lenses - such as the Mamiya 645 teles - are dirt cheap, not much heavier than their vintage 24x36mm counterparts, and much better.

I think it's actually quite fair to promote their qualities Wink

Stephan