Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Industar 50mm f3.5 on Sony A6000 : Images
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 11:33 pm    Post subject: Industar 50mm f3.5 on Sony A6000 : Images Reply with quote

All

The kind people on here helped me resolve an issue whereby I could not focus my Industar 50mm f3.5 (L39 mount) / Sony A6000 combo.

Anyway , problem solved, here are some photos , which I think prove the little pancake lens is a keeper

All images have had some post processing in Rawtherapee and or GIMP. Nothing fancy , levels adjustment, convert to mono and in the case of portraits a bit of work on the eyes

Selfie at f5.6 Smile

Industar - 50 3.5/50 Selfie by Phil Howcroft, on Flickr

One of My 100 strangers , about f4/ f5.6

100 Strangers : Round 2 : No. 175 : Andy by Phil Howcroft, on Flickr

Bokeh at f3.5

Sunny G's Bokeh (Industar 50mm f3.5) by Phil Howcroft, on Flickr

My fave model f5.6

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 Looking good!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jamaeolus wrote:
Like 1 Looking good!

I agree Like 1

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good job!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad you got it working!

I have an old silver Industar-50, and I like it a lot. It's probably the most fun manual lens I've used, which is not to say the easiest, or the best, but the most fun. There's something very endearing about the tiny little focus and aperture controls.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice lens, nice images--Congratulations there. Best, jt

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2019 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why does everyone get great results from this lens? the two I've ever owned have been crap

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2019 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

philslizzy wrote:
Why does everyone get great results from this lens? the two I've ever owned have been crap

You've reminded me I have one somewhere.
My copy is slightly decentered and still was surprisingly good on APS-C

Maybe buy a bucket of them. On the internal exUSSR market it often costs less than the postage.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2019 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice work!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

philslizzy wrote:

One can only imagine the reason you were able to get hold of them is because they'd been rejected by someone else ... people tend to hang onto the "good" ones Wink

In my experience, "basic" lenses like these are best acquired locally, preferably as a "one owner from new" and still mounted on the original camera, (think garage sales and charity shops). These are most likely not to have been tinkered with, therefor most likely to perform as the designer intended!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

philslizzy wrote:

Just like the UK had post war, the USSR went into 'export or die' mode starting around the mid 60s. For the USSR, the problem was that they had become desperately short of foreign currency. For lens makers, rather than change the product, they loosened the strings on quality control. This loosening was not a volte-face, but instead gradual as the decade rolled into the 70s. That's my understanding at least. I'm more than happy to be corrected.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think if you can get the glass from the original owner that helps. I have three Russian lenses. All three phenomenal. Like can compete or exceed my modern Fuji glass good. One I got from my father which was the original owner. The other two I received from a Russian friend.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also try and get an export model as they say the best crops were reserved for that.

These are all things to reduce the chances of a dud, but you can still end up with one. Another way to reduce the chances of a dud is to change the priorities for the lens. Horses for courses if you like. For example, from landscape use (sharp), to portrait (softer). That way there are no dud lenses.

Funnily enough I have a lovely FED 10 50/3.5 which gave a beautiful rendering to my eyes. Then I cleaned it. Amongst the various things inside, I suppose the main was a very fine oil haze on the element face behind the aperture. When I put it back together, I discovered the rendering I liked so much was gone. I was now the proud owner of a rather average 'meh' lens. *sigh*. You live and lens... sorry... learn.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone for the really positive comments on my photos .

The  beautiful little silver Industar 50mm f3.5 lens was attached to a Zenit 3M and came in a camera bag with lots of other bits and bobs . It was purchased from a charity shop , so I assume it had one loving owner.

I really love all my Russian glass, I haven't had a bad lens yet ... my caveat is I buy from charity shops , brick a brac shops , so you tend to get a camera and lens attached .

I've never bought any camera gear off eBay.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bwfcnottingham wrote:
I really love all my Russian glass, I haven't had a bad lens yet ... my caveat is I buy from charity shops , brick a brac shops , so you tend to get a camera and lens attached .

I've never bought any camera gear off eBay.

That's a good policy. You can get some good deals on ebay if you get serious about hunting there, but it takes a lot of time and experience and patience, and even with that it remains a crap shoot.

My favorite way to buy lenses is from garage sales. You usually get great deals and you get to see the person you're buying from.

I got my Konica Hexanon 57 1.4 and my Yashinon DX 50 1.4 from an old man in his 80s who was selling them because he couldn't walk around and take pictures anymore. I always remember him when I shoot with those lenses, which is nice. He was the original owner and took great care of his cameras.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 Like 1 Like 1