Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Replacement focus/zoom rubber
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 12:47 pm    Post subject: Replacement focus/zoom rubber Reply with quote

Having a hard time finding replacement rubber. This is one alternative, ebay search "silicone rubber wristband". They stretch and is around 10mm wide. 4 was used for this Komine 90mm Macro.

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by Blazer0ne on Tue Feb 22, 2022 4:46 pm; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use leather. You can buy small sheets online of use an old charity shop handbag/purse as a donor.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blazer0ne wrote:
Like Dog

Congrats on the good fit! Finding a solid ring that can stretch and be snug is not always an easy query.

I use Silicone tape (for grip/thermal barrier/adapter backup) as well as Gymnastic or Kinesio tape; especially with raw projector lenses.

If you have access to the modeling app Blender, a 3D Printer, and the ability to extrude TPU like Ninja Flex there is really no limit to what can be reproduced. Plus, this material also stretches so that one size can fit many diameters.

I see that you used them on Kilfitt lenses.
As a matter of fact these lenses have rubber bands that have the exact same ribble-size as some Tamron Adaptall-2 lenses.
I know this because I have a Kilfitt 300mm f/4 that was lacking it's rubbers and to replace these I just recently bought a broken Tamron SP 70-210 f/3.5 on Ebay.
(I payed 8 Euro for it and I let the seller know that he could keep the lens as I only needed the rubber bands).

They do not fit as the diameter is to small, but I can cut them up and glue them together where they meet.
Or I can try to stretch them by putting them in the fridge around an ever increasing bigger diameter. I think this will work.

Anyway, once I am done with it, the rubbers will not be distinguisable from the original ones. And my lens will be restaured in it's original glory (so to speak).
And I will be able to sell it at a good price because of this (if I ever want to do this, that is). I hardly doubt that you can say the same, to be honest Wink.

I can imagine that your rubbers fit nicely and all that but they blend in about as much as a piranha at a poodle party, hahaha.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lucse wrote:

They do not fit as the diameter is to small, but I can cut them up and glue them together where they meet.

I've seen this before. Not nearly as discreet as you present this solution.
The second problem is: many lenses have adjustment screws under the rubber.

Once you pour your very reliable glue™ over them, they may never turn again.
I have had much fun drilling out such screws.

Doesn't seem like this is a solved issue.
We still in need of a reliable source of replacement rubber.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aidaho wrote:
I've seen this before. Not nearly as discreet as you present this solution.
The second problem is: many lenses have adjustment screws under the rubber.

Once you pour your very reliable glue™ over them, they may never turn again.
I have had much fun drilling out such screws.

Doesn't seem like this is a solved issue.
We still in need of a reliable source of replacement rubber.

Who says anything about glueing them to the lens ??

There is no need for that as one can glue them together on a thin strip of rubber.
And as the seem will be along the ribble of the rubber this can be done rather invisibly.

That source of reliable rubber is out there, you only have to look for it.

But of course, if you think that putting a band of 'snot slime' around the lenses is a better solution, please feel free to do so Wink.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2019 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This site has the stuff you want. No idea where they get it - possibly just have endless leftover rolls of the stuff lol.
https://hugostudio.com/lenses-grip.html