Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Back to the USSR with Neewer 1.2/35
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 5:35 pm    Post subject: Back to the USSR with Neewer 1.2/35 Reply with quote

Here are some shots made with Neewer 1.2/35 at various apertures, from f2 to f5.6, depending on light conditions.

I experimented mostly in mid-far field, sometimes getting the focus with quite an effort, even at f5.6. My copy renders similar to TV and projection lenses, with sharp center and rather fuzzy further towards the edges. It's OK and even very pleasant in times. The only concern is that it seems to smear more on the left side than on the right. It is visible through the whole set, except of the closest focus, like #7.

As for the colour rendition, t seems quite good, especially for the evening blues. But yellows and reds are also well saturated.

Bokeh is smooth. Vignetting is pleasantly even.

All shots are taken with Nex-5N and slightly boosted as for contrast and sometimes saturation.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I add here some more samples to illustrate what I find pleasing in the off-center unsharpness of the lens. Even with vivid colours this adds a vintage feel.

#2 A shot converted to BW confirms such vintage feel

#3 The same feature (field curvature, like in Fujian lenses?) gives a reverse effect here: both further and closer objects are in focus, no fuzziness at all, on the contrary to shooting planes

#4 This one gives a mixed impression, with much of "vintage" softness and "modern" OOF effects

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2019 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple more shots with the same lens from another city. Testing low light capabilities.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1
superb job

but i think that #1 and #5 need crop (IMHO).

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

These are nice pics.

Very interesting to evidence for an unsharp lens in the focal plane the effect of field curvature and succeed in using it at border.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is just so, as with the Fujian lenses, a very strong field curvature.
I like it for use close-up with a central object, with flowers for instance, as it has more bokeh away from the center than a lens with a flat field.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, sergtum and lumens pixel!

Luis you are totally right, as with Fujians, this is a lens you should have to approach to in a special way. Otherwise it might not fit your ordinary snapshot habits and you may feel disappointed, or sometimes it may give a suprisingly better result than you expected. I like this kind of "imperfect" lenses for this added manual "work" to apply each time and still the output full of surprise.

Sergtum, would you suggest a crop that makes it closer to wide screen proportions, something like that?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alex ph wrote:

Sergtum, would you suggest a crop that makes it closer to wide screen proportions, something like that?

that's just my opinion. it can never be decisive. I really liked your photos. if I could do that, I'd be happy. and only then pictures 1 and 5 would be cut to the sharpness zone. but maybe you conceived photos exactly as they look. therefore, let it be as you decide. sincerely, Sergey.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, Sergey, for your gentle manner of giving your opinion!

I was interested indeed how the lens behaves in the landscape "soft" edges and at which point that may give a retro effect. Maybe not that much retro, still I find it pretty interesting, a kind of subjective focus shift.