Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Panagor Macro Converter + Hexanon 1.8 50mm
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 5:11 pm    Post subject: Panagor Macro Converter + Hexanon 1.8 50mm Reply with quote

Hi folks

I got a mint Konica AR mount Panagor Macro Converter in a job lot a while back, after reading some glowing reviews I bought a Hexanon to use with it.

The Hexanon is a very sharp lens:

Contrast is excellent too, giving shots some of that Zeiss-style 'pop':

But when used with the Panagor converter it loses all it's sharpness and contrast and looks dreadful:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even with extensive PP, the results with the Panagor converter are not good:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I decided to give the Hexanon+Macro converter combo another go and it looks like my earlier attempts were spoilt by camera shake. I used a small desktop tripod, looks like it's not very stable.

This time I sat the camera/lens flat on my desk and the results are a good deal sharper.

This is the Hexanon alone, f11, very sharp:

100% crop:

This is with the Panagor converter, f11:

Looks like it doesn't degrade the sharpness as much as I thought and it could be a useable combo for macro work, what do you guys think?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried the Panagor macro converter with a Pancolar 50mm 1.8 and I was not very enthusiastic about the first test. I discovered that I had better results with a reverser ring on the Pancolar. Smaller and lighter thing for in the bag too. So I didn't test it any further sofar. But your second results are not bad. May be you had better looked for a more stable tabletop tripod and the results improve more?.

Last edited by Minolfan on Sat Apr 12, 2014 11:38 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, looks like a better tripod is needed. I have a second mint copy (unused) of this converter in FD mount, I will try it with my Canon FD 1.8/50.

I am impressed with the Hexanon 1.8/50 though, probably the sharpest of all the 50s I own and possibly the contrastiest too. I can see why Attila and others say they give Zeiss quality for a fraction of the price. Only other Hexanon I have is an AR 3.5/135 early version but I definitely think I will pick up more, a 1.8/40 is high on the list for use with my NEX, nice and compact, even with the AR-NEX adapter.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hexanon, not Hexar, unless with an RF mount, are excellent lenses and being orphans, are cheap, especially they are now declining as they do not fit m4/3. They do fit 4/3 !!!! Need a shim only, washer, baffle and you are good to go! No adapter!

I hate doublers, but recognize they have value so when I see one that is variable, 2x-3x, or a Tamron SP that is cheap, I bid. The variables can be used as a focussing mount for enlarging lenses and the SPs are the best available in my price range.

The reversing ring is by far a better solution! No extra glass, no contrast loss, no additional aberrations and you use a fabulous prime.

Please try it! They cost less than a doubler.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

for Macro, better extension tube than doubler Wink

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ian please keep it down about konica lenses i am buying loads while they are cheap hopefully i will be doing a super konica test soon with a 40 f1.8, a 50 f1.7, 28 f3.5 and a 135 f3.5.
Ps the 50 f1.8 is not supposed to be as good as the 1.7
Now look in to my eyes look in to my eyes you are all hypnotized, remember konica lenses are terrible do not bid on them

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hahahhaa you just raise Konica's price by post that one eddietman
btw I'm looking for it too, don't worry, locally here

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just missed out on the 200mm Hexanon the other day it went for less than 15ukp!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 5:15 pm    Post subject: Panagor Macro converter Reply with quote

Sorry this is an old thread.

I have tested this converter with Canon's nifty fifty.

I like it.

[url][/url]Paquerette Macro by lumens pixel, sur Flickr[/url]