Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Leitz Elcan 52mm f5.6 prototype lens - garden photos
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2019 10:46 am    Post subject: Leitz Elcan 52mm f5.6 prototype lens - garden photos Reply with quote

Trying out the Leitz Elcan 52mm f5.6 prototype lens (discussed more here - http://forum.mflenses.com/african-violet-and-elcan-uv-f5-6-52mm-t76361.html) on a Sony A7III with extension tubes and helicoid. Hand held. Images were from my garden, and have been cropped and resized for sharing here. The more I use old glass, the more I love it.

The one below is cropped from #8.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2019 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thoroughly enjoyed looking through this set, JMC. Thanks for putting them up. And 295-0001. Now that's a serial number Cool

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2019 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quite some impressive sharpness and nice colors it has!!
Like 1 Like 1 Like 1

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2019 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sciolist wrote:
I thoroughly enjoyed looking through this set, JMC. Thanks for putting them up. And 295-0001. Now that's a serial number Cool

Yep, 295-0001 only one has ever been made! Wink

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2019 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 Like 1 Like 1

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On loan from kds315*?
Nice pictures. Like 1 small

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all. It's a great lens, and I'm sure will be outperforming my photographic capabilities for the foreseeable future.

Lightshow - no, not on loan. I'm fortunate enough to be the new owner.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 Like 1

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Superbe! Like 1 Like 1

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One more to add. I left this on the memory card (doh).

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This was very much an experiment. I mounted the Elcan directly to an M42 to EOS adapter using an M39x1 ring. This gave me a fixed focus somewhat macro setup when mounted on an EOS SLR. I put this on my multispectral 5DSR which can capture images in UV, visible and IR. I then took pictures of some flowers in the garden, without any filter on the lens - so these are essentially a mix of UV, visible and IR. Although given the camera sensitivity and spectral distribution in daylight, these are mainly visible and IR.

Also took a white balance shot of PTFE in the same light and white balanced the images to this. This is what they ended up like (no further alteration of colours, just some contrast boost and curves tweaking).

The above images were taken at f11 and ISO between 400 and 1250.

Here's what they look like in visible light.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2019 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had a plate made to allow me to mount the 52mm Elcan inside a Letiz helicoid to allow me some focus adjustment (thanks to RafCamera for making the plate). These were taken using it mounted to my Canon Eos 5DSR (bottom two show the lens in the helicoid and the plate).

They have been cropped slightly, and resized for sharing here. Curves have been tweaked a little along with contrast.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great shots and a good solution to focus!! Very well done by Leitz and very smooth (have one, too)!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plenty of life in the garden again, so here's a few shots using the 52mm Elcan, mounted directly on to the Canon 5DSR body. ISO800 and f11 or f16 for all the images, and they were all hand held. These have been cropped and resized for sharing.

The above images were all resized for sharing here, however the images below were cropped before resizing. Definitely a sharp lens.

This is the flower from towards the top left of image #2 above.

And this one is from image #11 above, of the bud on the right hand side in the middle of the stem.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very good results of a super sharp lens in very good hands!!

The resolution is stunning indeed, easily seen on that bud crop with spider webs which are much thinner than a hair...