Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Garden shots with Zeiss Luminar 100mm f6.3
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 12:37 pm    Post subject: Garden shots with Zeiss Luminar 100mm f6.3 Reply with quote

I got this lens recently, hoping it would be good for UV imaging. Turned out it didn't have the greatest UV transmission, but I still wanted to give it a go. I bought it as a microscope unit, consisting of the lens and a few other parts. This is what it looked like as the complete unit.

Lens lens unscrewed to give this.

The lens elements protrude on this lens and mine had been put down on one of them, leaving a tiny mark (<0.5mm) in the middle of one of them. Even so I still wanted to give it a go for photography. The thread size is 35mm, so I bought a 35mm x 0.75 to M42 adapter from eBay. I then mounted this on a range of extension tubes (up to 11cm in total) and on to my Eos 5DSR. I use part of the original unit as a makeshift hood.

Here's some shots from the garden, all hand held. First with about 6cm extension, wide open, and full frame image (but reduced in resolution for sharing).

And then with 11cm extension, and slightly stopped down, again resized for sharing.

Finally, this was taken as a crop from the image above before resizing, and is shown as actual pixel resolution.

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 Like 1 Like 1 It really shines closeup Jonathan! I remember it being very sensitive to flare, so a long hood is needed...

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Klaus. Yes, I need to look out for a suitable hood, however that part of the microscope unit seems to work well (and I had the light behind me).

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm such a doofus. I've posted this in the wrong forum. Could this be moved to manual focus lenses please, or should I redo it?

EDIT - Mods, please can you delete this thread, as I have now posted it in the correct place.