Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Removing the soft focus disk on Fujica 85mm f/4 SF?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 4:20 am    Post subject: Removing the soft focus disk on Fujica 85mm f/4 SF? Reply with quote

Is it possible? There is an aperture disk with various size holes inside the lens. The set is really missing a good 85mm and I'm not a fan of the SF effect. Also, if you were able to remove it, would the lens become faster? Seems like it should. Am I missing anything? Thanks!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably, but it would depreciate the lens, you run the risk of killing it. Better option is selling it and get another 85mm lens that is not soft focus.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I come from a cinematography background and I plan on using the Fujica lenses on cinema cameras and renting them to friends and colleagues. People want a full set from the same manufacturer and from the same series. Pairing EBC with non EBC is even a no no. So, adding a Fujica 85mm f/2.8 to the set would be incredible. I just wonder if there is more to it than removing that SF disk?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please, don't do it.

I had it for severa time. I didn't like the images so much.

But the lens by itself is a real gem.

A nice product of the industry that must be respected.

If you don't like the IQ, so sell it, like I and other people did.

It's only my opinión.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another vote for leaving well alone. The Fujinon 85mm soft focus is a fairly unique beast and quite thin on the ground. I use mine rarely, but when I "need" it there's nothing else quite like it in my collection.

There is also a consideration that the lens may actually be calculated to include the metal diffuser in the optical path and removing it may reduce the lens' performance, not enhance it!

I'm sure there's very little that needs to be photographed with an 85mm lens that can't be photographed with a Fujinon 100mm f/2.8, 75-150mm f/4.5, or a 54-270mm all of which are also EBC.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The lens will be faster without the soft focus hole disc. But it will also be much softer. The soft focus disk allows some light from the not well corrected border to form the image. You would use more than the double of the not well corrected light. The center brings well corrected rays, more to the border gets softer quality.

So another reason not to modify the lens.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, so it sounds like its a bad idea Smile Thanks for the responses! New idea...did Fuji make a 1.5x or 1.7x telephoto adapter? I could add that to a 50 f/1.4 and get the lens length I'm looking for. Thoughts?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

clintlealos wrote:
Okay, so it sounds like its a bad idea Smile Thanks for the responses! New idea...did Fuji make a 1.5x or 1.7x telephoto adapter? I could add that to a 50 f/1.4 and get the lens length I'm looking for. Thoughts?

Not that I'm aware of and I used Fujica slr's, both screw and bayonet mount, from the late '70's well into the '00's

There was a Fujica 2x for the bayonet mount, but the only one I'm aware of for the Fujica screw-mount was a third-party 2x, possibly by Tamron.

Also, though you're probably aware, there were two versions of the 50mm f/1.4 in screw-mount, one EBC and one not, same with the 55mm f/1.8 Wink