Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Nikon Pronea lenses
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 6:52 pm    Post subject: Nikon Pronea lenses Reply with quote

I have a bunch of APS films and was wondering which camera to buy. I discovered the Nikon Pronea models had the normal AF F mount and would accept most chipped lenses. More interestingly the lenses specifically made for the Proneas were small and light. and pretty wide (compared to full frame). So I purchased a 600i model (the same as the 6i in some markets). It came with a lovely 24-70, I had wanted to try the 20-60 but couldn't find that anywhere (outside the US).

Even though the lens mount is regular Nikon, the lenses have a smaller back focus meaning you can't use them on a DSLR or on my old Nikkormat because they would interfere with the mirror. They will of course fit on my Sony A7 via a Nikon G adaptor as there is no aperture.

My Pronea and a couple of AF lenses that I use on my Sony. It's a lovely camera to use and these lenses cover just about every situation.

Ok so I took the 24-70 with me to an empty office building that I look after and took some pics to see how sharp the lens was, how much of the full frame sensor it covered and how sharp it was. I was pleasantly surprised, there is a little vignetting at the 24mm end but at just under 28mm that had gone. It's difficult to estimate the aperture using this type of lens but I can guess looking at the shutter speed compared to wide open.

24mm full aperture

70mm full aperture

Again at 24mm, full aperture. Showing less vignetting - possibly because it was lighter?

The lens is pretty sharp even at the edges. The crop factor is 1.25 Even though it's for APS. I learned something - digital sensors are APSC C meaning 'classic' in APS film so 1.5 crop factor. But the entire APS film frame is called H (HDTV [16:9]) which is a wider format.

A couple of pics shot on a film found in the camera with this lens. Film expired in 2001 and developed in well used Tetenal C41 at ROOM TEMP (23c). Auto color corrected.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a link to page of a guy hacking Pronea lenses for DSLR use. Saved it years ago.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gardener wrote:
Here's a link to page of a guy hacking Pronea lenses for DSLR use. Saved it years ago.

Thanks for that. I have seen this page. I have no use for these lenses on a DSLR, my only other Nikon is a Nikkormat FTn, the lack of aperture control makes it useless.

The AF is the in-camera type, so wont work on cameras with in-lens focusing (entry level)

The lenses work nicely on my Nikon 1, and are extremely compact and lightweight. If I want a small outfit to carry around with me, this is the way I go.