Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Nye Optical f1.4 / 150mm UV-VIS-IR mirror lens
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 5:43 am    Post subject: Nye Optical f1.4 / 150mm UV-VIS-IR mirror lens Reply with quote

A friend told me about it and was able to buy it. Quite a rare beast actually with Nikon-F mount
and very unusul speed of f1.4 (yes, one point four!!) - and made to work from ultraviolet to IR,
precisely 180nm - 4.500nm. Focus works by moving the primary mirror, beyond infinity to about
10ft - I added a helicoid to get it to focus much closer.

Camera mount is left. Needs a bit TLC, which I will do once I'm back from California.

I have three similar lenses from the same maker, but this one is the most interesting and advanced one.
http://photographyoftheinvisibleworld.blogspot.com/2012/02/uv-vis-ir-lyman-alpha-lenses.html

Too bad the inventor and maker passed away in 2006, his son has sold off all remaining stock since.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the inventor will be happy to see these lenses goes to someone that is capable to make good use of it. Happy Dog

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Calvin! Like 1 small Like 1 small Like 1 small

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will be interesting to see how it renders an image, being such an unusual lens.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice,can't wait to see results. Like 1

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

giant donuts?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Need to be patient guys, till I'm back mid March! I'm pretty sure it also needs a new collimation after all those years.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Enjoy the sunshine Klaus,for you we will be patient Welcome Turtle

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Certainly do!! Thanks!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to California! (A big place)

Nice find!!!

Just curious, how much difference is in precise focus distance for 4.500nm vs 180nm? Could I focus on text in visible light, be able to read text in image lit with 180nm, and with 4.500nm, or will image have too much blur?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

visualopsins wrote:

Just curious, how much difference is in precise focus distance for 4.500nm vs 180nm? Could I focus on text in visible light, be able to read text in image lit with 180nm, and with 4.500nm, or will image have too much blur?

If I understand correctly, these are catoptric 'lenses' i.e. they use only mirrors, with no refracting components (to allow them to work into VUV). Therefore they have no chromatic aberration i.e. focus is the same at all wavelengths. (At least in geometric optics approximation. Physical optics is another matter).

Fascinating lenses. They can have no better keeper than Klaus.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A impressive beast when it comes to the specs. I wonder what magic this lens can do Wink

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

visualopsins wrote:
Welcome to California! (A big place)

Nice find!!!

That is the idea behind those type of lenses, same focus for all wavelengths (in theory), so you focus in visible light and take a shot in UV or IR and know it will be sharp.

In reality however the use of filters with several millimeter of filter glass thickness often makes a refocusing necessary (or alo use a filter in visible light of same thickness).

SXR_Mark wrote:
visualopsins wrote:

If I understand correctly, these are catoptric 'lenses' i.e. they use only mirrors, with no refracting components (to allow them to work into VUV). Therefore they have no chromatic aberration i.e. focus is the same at all wavelengths. (At least in geometric optics approximation. Physical optics is another matter).

Fascinating lenses. They can have no better keeper than Klaus.

Yes, exactly, there are no glass elements, just mirrors.

Nordentro wrote:
A impressive beast when it comes to the specs. I wonder what magic this lens can do Wink

Well, I already noticed some need for collimation and calibration, and I will have to construct a rear mounted filter slider for it, as 150mm front filters are out of discussion.

But it is a really fast lens and speed is certainly needed, working 10EV in UV under normal visual operating conditions, needs every bit of light Wink

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Assuming it has the fixed aperture normal with mirror lenses DOF will be very challenging! I only know of a couple of exotic mirror lenses that have variable apertures & can't see any adjustment control here.
I suspect focus stacking will be needed for most shots - still leaves it as a very desirable item.

As others have said I can imaging no better keeper!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, yes, of course, it is a mirror lens, there should be minimal (if any) blur -- yet with thin dof I wonder if any can be seen (or if usable images need to be stacks).

Then, is that some quartz in the optical path limiting the bandwidth? Smile Bandwidth should extend to the limits of the mirror surface material, yes?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah ! That's what you mentioned!
Very strange.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some example pictures taken with the lens. Mounted on a Sony A7III camera, using a Sony to Nikon adapater.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sweet!!