Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

exa and hooded finder
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 3:47 am    Post subject: exa and hooded finder Reply with quote

A question for those with more experience than I...

I have an Exa along with the penta-prism / hooded finder as shown in the picture ...

When I have the "hooded finder" installed The camera develops tunnel vision - the field of view is like the "sketch" below ...

Is this a quirk of the gear or an indicator that the finder is missing something?

Thanks in advance for future help.

Jim

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No Jim, I've just tried the same set up for you and the view is normal. The view you have seems to be of the back of the lens via the mirror in cocked position, which you can see when you have no viewfinder on at all. No offence, but just to eliminate it - are you sure the viewfinder has its focusing block installed ? It's the only thing I can think of at the minute. I'll keep thinking.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the quick reply . . .
Here is a comparison of the two _ waist level vs hooded . . .

I guess something is missing . . . or is it a separate part?
The one in the waist level is firmly secured and I don't want to risk mucking with it.
The base of the hooded shows grooves and such, as well as 2 pins.

Jim

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this what I am missing ?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/IHAGEE-FOCUSING-SCREEN-FOR-EXAKTA-EXA-PLAIN-GROUND-GLASS-207151/143192933088?_trkparms=aid%3D111001%26algo%3DREC.SEED%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20180105095853%26meid%3D01c0e7c647764f35879428f18ff6e788%26pid%3D100903%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D20%26sd%3D143192933088%26itm%3D143192933088%26pg%3D2509164&_trksid=p2509164.c100903.m5276

Or is it something else?
Jim

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^Yes, from the pictures, the focusing screen you show is missing from your eye level finder. The waist level (hooded) finder, as you say, has its focusing block in place.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sciolist wrote:
^^Yes, from the pictures, the focusing screen you show is missing from your eye level finder. The waist level (hooded) finder, as you say, has its focusing block in place.

many cameras the focusing screen is fitted on the body, not finder

but it is flat, this is some sort of "new technology" in it's age

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kansalliskala wrote:
Sciolist wrote:

many cameras the focusing screen is fitted on the body, not finder

but it is flat, this is some sort of "new technology" in it's age

Yes, Ihagee introduced it in their new Exakta Varex line in 1950 and in the new Exa line of 1951. The compact Exa and 'big brother' Exakta cameras could exchange lenses, viewfinders and focusing screens between each other. And when you think about it, changing the screen is much easier if it is simply a press fit on a pop out viewfinder, so I'm guessing it made sense back in the day.

With regard to the shape of the focusing screen, I'm afraid the reasons are beyond my knowledge. I know there was a flat ground glass available for reproduction work.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again.
This answers many things and I can put things into proper order and gain a usable finder.

Jim

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're welcome.

These pages may help your choices Jim.

Viewfinders -

http://www.wrotniak.net/photo/exakta/finders.html

Viewing screens -

http://www.wrotniak.net/photo/exakta/system-1969.html

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sciolist wrote:

I really never want to go near the Kolpofot device.

With the flash 500 volt power source.

Shocked

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kansalliskala wrote:
Sciolist wrote:

Shocked

Laugh 1 Me neither.

I do have some of those accessories though, - just the bellows, rings and weird shutter release. They are very well made.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kansalliskala wrote:
Sciolist wrote:

Shocked

The photos and not the photographic process is allowed to be shocking.

Jim

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The top of the Exakta focus screen is curved because it is also performing the function of the condenser, which is usually a separate piece in modern viewfinders.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mos6502 wrote:
The top of the Exakta focus screen is curved because it is also performing the function of the condenser, which is usually a separate piece in modern viewfinders.

Another piece falls into place. Thanks Like 1 .

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2020 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So after many delays finally got my focusing screen . . .
It would seem that the differences in finders are cosmetic . . .
This said does any one know a source of instructions for installation of the screen?

Looked through what Mike Butkus has on his site and the Exa manual. Mentions the special prism as an accessory but nothing on the actual focusing screen.
There must be a non-obvious trick as it doesn't just "snap" into place and I am not going to force it.

Any experience / knowledge would be helpful.
Thanks in advance,
Jim

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2020 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pick up the long sides of the screen with forefinger and thumb, curved side down. Hold the screen perfectly parallel above the holder and push it in place. It should require no more pressure than pushing a battery in place.

What keeps the screen in place are plate springs, one fitted on each of the long sides of the holder. The 'spring' part is created by two tangs on each plate. They should be parallel with the sides of the box you are putting the screen into, with perhaps 1mm of movement backwards (to accept and hold the screen). Looking at your picture above, your tangs appear to have a slight twist. Even with perfectly positioned tangs, the screen will only push in place when it is offered up perfectly.

Good call on not forcing it. I'm only going off the picture, but try straightening the tangs a bit better and see how that goes.

Good luck Jim, I hope that helps.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2020 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sciolist wrote:
Good luck Jim, I hope that helps.

Thank you and it helped immensely.

Sciolist wrote:
Pick up the long sides of the screen with forefinger and thumb, curved side down. Hold the screen perfectly parallel above the holder and push it in place. It should require no more pressure than pushing a battery in place.

What keeps the screen in place are plate springs, one fitted on each of the long sides of the holder. The 'spring' part is created by two tangs on each plate...

The fact so little pressure is "counter-intuitive" due to so many modern things requiring the "seating & locking in" of a part. I keep forgetting what I love about these vintage cameras. A quality of build and design that was meant to last and was more about precision, performance, and aesthetics tan what was the next great technical marvel.

My issue was not about the tangs interfering it was about not putting it is "level & plumb" to where it belongs and not trusting it will stay where you put it. Once in the correct orientation it goes into place and stays put.

Thanks again for the guidance - this is what this community of ours is all about.

Like 1

Jim

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2020 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

j.lukow wrote:

Thanks again for the guidance - this is what this community of ours is all about.

Like 1

Jim

You're welcome. Glad it's in place.