Home
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Fujinon-T 200mm f/4.5 EBC (m42) - which teleconverter?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:36 pm    Post subject: Fujinon-T 200mm f/4.5 EBC (m42) - which teleconverter? Reply with quote

Looking for a 400mm lens for traveling and hiking, I am also considering trying a 2x teleconverter on my Fujinon-T 200mm f/4.5 EBC (m42), which I use with an adapter on a Fujifilm X-E1. If anyone has used teleconverters with this lens, I would appreciate hearing about IQ and/or seeing sample photos. Also, regardless of whether you've used a teleconverter with this lens, which teleconverters would you recommend for best IQ? Thanks.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I own and have used many M42 Fujinon lenses for many years, unfortunately never the 200mm. However, failing being able to source a genuine Fujica teleconverter I'd recommend not bothering with any 4-element devices and get a 7-element from the likes of DOI, Kenko, Vivitar or Tamron.

Do be aware that with a 2x adaptor on your lens it will become effectively an f/9, at which point your focus confirmation may start to struggle. It my be worth while setting your lens to f/8 or f/11 to check that it still is capable of being focussed accurately. The depth of field on a 400mm lens is fairly minimal!

Good luck Smile

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try and find a tamron nestar 400mm f6.9. that will be better than any vintage 200mm+tc combo. Next smallest MF 400mm is probably the tokina 400mm f5.6 in its various incarnations: tokina rmc, hoya, mitsuki, vivitar TX...
A prime is going to be better than a 200mm+ tc, unless you've got something with the iq of a lens like the DA*200mm f2.8, PF forums contributor normhead did some extensive testing with his inc with stacked tc's , very good results.
Also check out the mirror lens threads here.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kypfer wrote:
I own and have used many M42 Fujinon lenses for many years, unfortunately never the 200mm. However, failing being able to source a genuine Fujica teleconverter I'd recommend not bothering with any 4-element devices and get a 7-element from the likes of DOI, Kenko, Vivitar or Tamron.

Do be aware that with a 2x adaptor on your lens it will become effectively an f/9, at which point your focus confirmation may start to struggle. It my be worth while setting your lens to f/8 or f/11 to check that it still is capable of being focussed accurately. The depth of field on a 400mm lens is fairly minimal!

Good luck Smile

Thanks, I can confirm that there is no problem focusing Fujinon-T 200mm f/4.5 EBC at f/8 or f/11, at least using focus peaking + magnification, which I have done many times handheld without stabilization. Whether a lack of stabilization would make focusing too difficult with the 400mm on APS-C, I don't know.

When you say "genuine Fujica teleconverter", do you have a specific model in mind? I have only seen them for Fujica X-mount, not m42 (my 200mm is m42). Did Fuji make matched teleconverters for its m42 EBC range?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

marcusBMG wrote:
Try and find a tamron nestar 400mm f6.9. that will be better than any vintage 200mm+tc combo. Next smallest MF 400mm is probably the tokina 400mm f5.6 in its various incarnations: tokina rmc, hoya, mitsuki, vivitar TX...
A prime is going to be better than a 200mm+ tc, unless you've got something with the iq of a lens like the DA*200mm f2.8, PF forums contributor normhead did some extensive testing with his inc with stacked tc's , very good results.
Also check out the mirror lens threads here.

Thanks, never heard of the nestar, will look into it. Mirror lenses are a good suggestion, but the donuts aren't for me.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is mine, unfortunately with Fujica-x mount. I don't know if a Fujica teleconverter 2x with M42 mount was ever made.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lk wrote:

Thanks, I can confirm that there is no problem focusing Fujinon-T 200mm f/4.5 EBC at f/8 or f/11, at least using focus peaking + magnification, which I have done many times handheld without stabilization. Whether a lack of stabilization would make focusing too difficult with the 400mm on APS-C, I don't know.

When you say "genuine Fujica teleconverter", do you have a specific model in mind? I have only seen them for Fujica X-mount, not m42 (my 200mm is m42). Did Fuji make matched teleconverters for its m42 EBC range?

To be honest, I don't remember for certain if Fujica made an M42 teleconverter. Both myself and my partner of the time (early '80's) had an AZ-1 and we both used Tamron Adaptall-2 telephoto zoom lenses. I used the Tamron Adaptall-2 "Flat-field converter", as it was titled, but my partner had a Fujica-specific teleconverter, but, now I come to think of it, it may not have been of actual Fujica manufacture, there's no mention of one in the AZ-1 user manual ... I remember it having an external linkage to convey the aperture information from the lens to the camera!

Sorry if I may have misled anyone ... my other recommendation regarding a 7-element converter being preferred still stands Wink

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for clarifying about the Fujica TC.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

quidam wrote:
This is mine, unfortunately with Fujica-x mount. I don't know if a Fujica teleconverter 2x with M42 mount was ever made.

Looks like a rebrand of usual 7 elements (Kenko, Tokina) converter. Telecoverter that would actually make sense using is yet to be discovered Smile.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with the assessment to use a 400mm lens. Even an old Tamron or such would likely be better than any m42 teleconverter and the Fuji 200. It would certainly be faster.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jamaeolus wrote:
I agree with the assessment to use a 400mm lens. Even an old Tamron or such would likely be better than any m42 teleconverter and the Fuji 200. It would certainly be faster.

+1
A Soligor 400mm F6.3, or Tokina maybe.