Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Fujinon-T 200mm f/4.5 EBC (m42) - which teleconverter?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:36 pm    Post subject: Fujinon-T 200mm f/4.5 EBC (m42) - which teleconverter? Reply with quote

Looking for a 400mm lens for traveling and hiking, I am also considering trying a 2x teleconverter on my Fujinon-T 200mm f/4.5 EBC (m42), which I use with an adapter on a Fujifilm X-E1. If anyone has used teleconverters with this lens, I would appreciate hearing about IQ and/or seeing sample photos. Also, regardless of whether you've used a teleconverter with this lens, which teleconverters would you recommend for best IQ? Thanks.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I own and have used many M42 Fujinon lenses for many years, unfortunately never the 200mm. However, failing being able to source a genuine Fujica teleconverter I'd recommend not bothering with any 4-element devices and get a 7-element from the likes of DOI, Kenko, Vivitar or Tamron.

Do be aware that with a 2x adaptor on your lens it will become effectively an f/9, at which point your focus confirmation may start to struggle. It my be worth while setting your lens to f/8 or f/11 to check that it still is capable of being focussed accurately. The depth of field on a 400mm lens is fairly minimal!

Good luck Smile

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try and find a tamron nestar 400mm f6.9. that will be better than any vintage 200mm+tc combo. Next smallest MF 400mm is probably the tokina 400mm f5.6 in its various incarnations: tokina rmc, hoya, mitsuki, vivitar TX...
A prime is going to be better than a 200mm+ tc, unless you've got something with the iq of a lens like the DA*200mm f2.8, PF forums contributor normhead did some extensive testing with his inc with stacked tc's , very good results.
Also check out the mirror lens threads here.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kypfer wrote:
I own and have used many M42 Fujinon lenses for many years, unfortunately never the 200mm. However, failing being able to source a genuine Fujica teleconverter I'd recommend not bothering with any 4-element devices and get a 7-element from the likes of DOI, Kenko, Vivitar or Tamron.

Do be aware that with a 2x adaptor on your lens it will become effectively an f/9, at which point your focus confirmation may start to struggle. It my be worth while setting your lens to f/8 or f/11 to check that it still is capable of being focussed accurately. The depth of field on a 400mm lens is fairly minimal!

Good luck Smile

Thanks, I can confirm that there is no problem focusing Fujinon-T 200mm f/4.5 EBC at f/8 or f/11, at least using focus peaking + magnification, which I have done many times handheld without stabilization. Whether a lack of stabilization would make focusing too difficult with the 400mm on APS-C, I don't know.

When you say "genuine Fujica teleconverter", do you have a specific model in mind? I have only seen them for Fujica X-mount, not m42 (my 200mm is m42). Did Fuji make matched teleconverters for its m42 EBC range?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

marcusBMG wrote:
Try and find a tamron nestar 400mm f6.9. that will be better than any vintage 200mm+tc combo. Next smallest MF 400mm is probably the tokina 400mm f5.6 in its various incarnations: tokina rmc, hoya, mitsuki, vivitar TX...
A prime is going to be better than a 200mm+ tc, unless you've got something with the iq of a lens like the DA*200mm f2.8, PF forums contributor normhead did some extensive testing with his inc with stacked tc's , very good results.
Also check out the mirror lens threads here.

Thanks, never heard of the nestar, will look into it. Mirror lenses are a good suggestion, but the donuts aren't for me.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is mine, unfortunately with Fujica-x mount. I don't know if a Fujica teleconverter 2x with M42 mount was ever made.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lk wrote:

Thanks, I can confirm that there is no problem focusing Fujinon-T 200mm f/4.5 EBC at f/8 or f/11, at least using focus peaking + magnification, which I have done many times handheld without stabilization. Whether a lack of stabilization would make focusing too difficult with the 400mm on APS-C, I don't know.

When you say "genuine Fujica teleconverter", do you have a specific model in mind? I have only seen them for Fujica X-mount, not m42 (my 200mm is m42). Did Fuji make matched teleconverters for its m42 EBC range?

To be honest, I don't remember for certain if Fujica made an M42 teleconverter. Both myself and my partner of the time (early '80's) had an AZ-1 and we both used Tamron Adaptall-2 telephoto zoom lenses. I used the Tamron Adaptall-2 "Flat-field converter", as it was titled, but my partner had a Fujica-specific teleconverter, but, now I come to think of it, it may not have been of actual Fujica manufacture, there's no mention of one in the AZ-1 user manual ... I remember it having an external linkage to convey the aperture information from the lens to the camera!

Sorry if I may have misled anyone ... my other recommendation regarding a 7-element converter being preferred still stands Wink

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for clarifying about the Fujica TC.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

quidam wrote:
This is mine, unfortunately with Fujica-x mount. I don't know if a Fujica teleconverter 2x with M42 mount was ever made.

Looks like a rebrand of usual 7 elements (Kenko, Tokina) converter. Telecoverter that would actually make sense using is yet to be discovered Smile.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with the assessment to use a 400mm lens. Even an old Tamron or such would likely be better than any m42 teleconverter and the Fuji 200. It would certainly be faster.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jamaeolus wrote:
I agree with the assessment to use a 400mm lens. Even an old Tamron or such would likely be better than any m42 teleconverter and the Fuji 200. It would certainly be faster.

+1
A Soligor 400mm F6.3, or Tokina maybe.