Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Minolta Rokkor TC 135mm f4
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 6:29 am    Post subject: Minolta Rokkor TC 135mm f4 Reply with quote

I won this on Ebay for $2.25. I'm really looking foward to testing it, but it will be on my Canon EOS 10D so the test will be in macro only.
This is a lens I haven't owned or tested, so I'm excited about this one. Very Happy

It is a triplet design, preset lens made from 1960-69. It's been shipped
hopefully I will have it Friday.

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I'm going to really like this lens. It's dark and rainy but I did get 1
shot that gives an idea of what the lens is capable off. Next time hopefully I will nail the focus. Embarassed
12 blades that stop down round.The design really resembles a Komoura design. There is no element at the rear of the lens, and the mount is held on by screws, so I think a non destructive, fully reversible, EOS mount good be made.

I wish I would of got home before dark, but hopefully I will have some shooting time tomorrow Smile , even tho it's suppose to rain thru Monday. Crying or Very sad

Lens mounted to my Canon EOS 10D with glass less adapter. Shot is wide open f4.
Please don't judge the lens by this one pic, I think it's alot better then this.

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like you got yourself a bargain and a good preforming lens. How does this lens compare to your JC Penny lens?

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its a beautiful lens and nice to use on bellows-all elements should be in the front -am I right? The front unscrews off rathwer easily. I have seen them go for lots more. Smile. I have the 100mm one and its sharp even wide open-a testament to the older Rokkors.

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 3:55 am    Post subject: Minolta Reply with quote

A beautiful little lens and a bargain!

Should be very compact and may be very user friendly on a smaller camera. Image seems to have some pretty "effects" but I may be wrong?

It looks like it has found a good home! Enjoy!

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mmelvis wrote:
Looks like you got yourself a bargain and a good preforming lens. How does this lens compare to your JC Penny lens?

My JC penney 135 is in the repair drawer. It was my most used 135, but now the appeture doesen't work. So I need to wait tell I can order some tools to do the repair.

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kathmandu wrote:
Its a beautiful lens and nice to use on bellows-all elements should be in the front -am I right? The front unscrews off rathwer easily. I have seen them go for lots more. Smile. I have the 100mm one and its sharp even wide open-a testament to the older Rokkors.

The elements are at the front. They made a bellows version of this lens in 100mm and 135mm that had a 39mm screw mount.

The lens I bought in this condition, the high end price I expect would be around $50 USD. So I'm really happy with the price I paid. Very Happy

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 7:33 am    Post subject: Re: Minolta Reply with quote

pat donnelly wrote:
A beautiful little lens and a bargain!

Should be very compact and may be very user friendly on a smaller camera. Image seems to have some pretty "effects" but I may be wrong?

It looks like it has found a good home! Enjoy!

Thanks, I think it will perform quite well. The shot was on my glass potting table with a dozen or so other plants around it that had different colors and texture.
So it's hard to judge from this shot exactly what the bokeh will be like, or performance.

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heavy overcast when I shot this one.Atleast the rain stopped for a few minutes.

Maximum focus distance with the glassless adapter and the lens is approx. 8'. Still heavy overcast.

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally got a break in the weather for a couple minutes. Bumped the cotrast a little, but no other PP.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a crop.Shot at ISO 800 at f8. Not bad but I need more practice with this lens. As you can see I slightly missed focus. It looked sharp in the viewfinder. I'm wondering if It's still out of adjustment.

Slight bump in contrast and sharpness. Because of forum upload problems I had to resize it to post. I will repost the crop when it lets me.
Please click on pic to see image before resizing.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats with the lens for so little money. It is a really good lens IMO.
In 1965 the bellows lens was my first addition to my Minolta Sr1. The small bellows has gone, but the lens is still mine and I still like to use it for macro on a Novoflex bellows. And ofcourse reaching infinity!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. I'm looking foward to using this lens more.it's a keeper. Very Happy

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 11:54 pm    Post subject: The M39 Bellows version Reply with quote

I see this thread is mostly discussing the SR mount variant of this lens but I wonder if any owners of the M39 Bellows version could chime in ..
Can this focus to infinity on the camera with the bellow?

Also can I unscrew the front portion of the non bellows version (the one mostly being discussed in this thread) and use it like a bellows lens?

Last edited by RDM on Fri Dec 19, 2014 7:38 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice lens.

walter g wrote:
This is a crop.Shot at ISO 800 at f8. Not bad but I need more practice with this lens. As you can see I slightly missed focus. It looked sharp in the viewfinder. I'm wondering if It's still out of adjustment.

It's one of the reasons I moved to mirrorless cameras, there is no chance of calibration errors, unlike a DSLR, which needs the AF sensor and focus screen to have the same exact distance from the sensor, if not, you'll have issues.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed, not a shabby lens...
https://www.flickr.com/photos/kds315/sets/72157647841639577/

More about it here: http://forum.mflenses.com/minolta-rokkor-tc-f4-135mm-does-a-late-autumn-walk-t68257,highlight,+rokkor++135.html (same optics)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lightshow wrote:
. . . . one of the reasons I moved to mirrorless cameras, there is no chance of calibration errors, unlike a DSLR, which needs the AF sensor and focus screen to have the same exact distance from the sensor, if not, you'll have issues.

This is the the Main reason , if not the only reason I moved to mirrorless.. The fact that I had a large collection of Minolta mount lenses that I spent a loot of money on and loved to use with my Minolta film cameras still for Black and white..
Mirrorless was the best practical choice really.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My son owns this lens and I borrowed it briefly recently.
I agree that it is a very capable lens even though only a triplet.
Tom

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 Like 1

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice Tom! Like 1 Like 1 Like 1

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 4:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Minolta Rokkor TC 135mm f4 Reply with quote

I wish I could find an example like this lens for under thirty dollars, let alone under three like you did Walter. I been keeping an eye out for years.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 4:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Minolta Rokkor TC 135mm f4 Reply with quote

RDM wrote:
I wish I could find an example like this lens for under thirty dollars, let alone under three like you did Walter. I been keeping an eye out for years.

It's not impossible, mine was was about $20. But you need to look at other places than ebay.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@blotafton Like where?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RDM wrote:
@blotafton Like where?
I found mine on a local ebay equivalent site. And I've seen a 135mm QD and a 300mm on flea markets/boot sales. I'm not sure about the US market though. I can PM you if I find a new one.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blotafton wrote:
RDM wrote:
@blotafton Like where?
I found mine on a local ebay equivalent site. And I've seen a 135mm QD and a 300mm on flea markets/boot sales. I'm not sure about the US market though. I can PM you if I find a new one.

Thank you, I would Appreciate that .