Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Cactus peeping with Rollei Planar 1.8/50
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a West German Rollei Planar 50 / 1.8 which came on a Singapore made Rolleiflex SL35, and a Japanese Carl Zeiss Planar T* 50 / 1.7 with CY mount. And they are wonderful lenses, although I haven't yet tried them properly on the A7II.

Looking at the excellent pictures in this thread so far, I shall have to get them tested. Wink

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lloydy wrote:
I have a West German Rollei Planar 50 / 1.8 which came on a Singapore made Rolleiflex SL35, and a Japanese Carl Zeiss Planar T* 50 / 1.7 with CY mount. And they are wonderful lenses, although I haven't yet tried them properly on the A7II.

Looking at the excellent pictures in this thread so far, I shall have to get them tested. Wink

Which version of the 1,7 do you have?
The first (same than the rollei 1,Cool or the second with 4 rear elements (N° > 8.000.000)?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lloydy wrote:

papasito wrote:
The first (same than the rollei 1,8 ) or the second with 4 rear elements (N° > 8.000.000)?

Papasito, what is the source of your statement?

IMHO there is the Rollei Planar 50/1.8 which is Tronnier's Ultron with the enhanced 4 elements front group slightly modified by Zeiss and there is the Contax/Yashica Planar 50/1.7 which is also based on Tronnier's Ultron but with the enhanced 4 elements rear group.
The optical design of the 50/1.7 never changed by serial number; i.e. there is no early F1.7 version which is identical to the Rollei (Voigtlaender) F1.8 lens. Just the lens housing changed slightly over the production period, maybe the coatings as well.
Not even the Zeiss archieves know anything about that: https://www.zeiss.com/content/dam/camera-lenses/files/service/download-center/datasheets/historical-lenses/contax-yashica/datasheet-zeiss-planar-1750-en.pdf

Would be nice if you could enlighten us where your information is coming from. Thank you.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

papasito wrote:
Lloydy wrote:

The first (same than the rollei 1,Cool or the second with 4 rear elements (N° > 8.000.000)?

I think it is the later version, according to this -
"There are two versions of the Zeiss Planar 1.7/50 T* The later AE version introduced in the mid 70’s  will not allow program and shutter-priority with film cameras. It was made in Japan from the beginning while other C/Y lenses were manufactured in Germany  before production was moved to in Japan (als called AEJ). Unlike with the 1.4 version ninja-star-bokeh is not an issue with the 1.7/50.
The younger MM version was sold from 1984 to 2005. It can be identified by the green color of the f/16 marking. Some people report improved coatings with the MM version but I have so far not seen a test to support that."

A quick shot today.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2019 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alex ph wrote:
And yes, Olivier and Y, please share your comparisons if you make them.

My humble Rollei 50s comparison is available.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a complementary question to this 50mm Rollei talk. In your experience, what might be a Rollei (or CZ Planar) equivalent in the realm of 35mm focal lengh, in terms of sharpness, micro-contrast and 3D pop-up? If possible, something on the budget side, matching the average price tag of Rollei 1.8/50 which turns around 30-50 euros or $.

My suggestion, it might be Yashica ML 2.8/35. The copy I have gives sometimes very good results aesthetically compatible with Rollei.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alex ph wrote:
I have a complementary question to this 50mm Rollei talk. In your experience, what might be a Rollei (or CZ Planar) equivalent in the realm of 35mm focal lengh, in terms of sharpness, micro-contrast and 3D pop-up? If possible, something on the budget side, matching the average price tag of Rollei 1.8/50 which turns around 30-50 euros or $.

My suggestion, it might be Yashica ML 2.8/35. The copy I have gives sometimes very good results aesthetically compatible with Rollei.

Having tested and compared a lot of 35mm lenses I would recommend the Minolta MD 35mm/F2.8 lens in a later 5/5 version with 49mm filter thread. It's far better than the Rollei/Voigtlaender 35mm/F2.8 one. My Yashica lens is even worse, but it's an earlier version and not the ML one.

If your budget allows, the Minolta MD 35mm/F1.8 would be even better. A stunning lens apprx. on the same level of the Voigtländer Ultron 35mm/F1.7 RF lens.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, Thomas, I'll keep my eye on Minolta. The slower one. How does it compare to its predecessors, like W.Rokkor-HG? Does the earlier lens has close IQ?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alex ph wrote:
Thank you, Thomas, I'll keep my eye on Minolta. The slower one. How does it compare to its predecessors, like W.Rokkor-HG? Does the earlier lens has close IQ?

Sorry Alex, I don't know how the older 7/6 versions compare as I never had one myself. Additionally they are known for mechanical problems according Artaphot/Stephan. The newer 5/5 versions are definitely the better deals and optically excellent. I think it shouldn't be too difficult to find a copy at a reasonable price.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thomas, thank you for the hint. I had a look at 35mm Minolta comparisons on Stephan's site. As far as I could conclude, the main difference (in terms of sharpness) among different versions is corner performance. While central part of the image is identical in all the cases. The same tables gave me another idea, to test more a 3.5/35-70 Minolta zoom on its wide end. It's true that the IQ is rather striking and matches very well the Rollei style.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alex ph wrote:
Thomas, thank you for the hint. I had a look at 35mm Minolta comparisons on Stephan's site. As far as I could conclude, the main difference (in terms of sharpness) among different versions is corner performance. While central part of the image is identical in all the cases. The same tables gave me another idea, to test more a 3.5/35-70 Minolta zoom on its wide end. It's true that the IQ is rather striking and matches very well the Rollei style.

Leitz had good reasons to buy this zoom from Minolta instead of building one theirselves. It's therefore identical to the Leica Vario-Elmar-R. Certainly one of the best "normal-zooms" of that time. If you don't need a faster aperture it's indeed a good option.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

memetph wrote:
It needs very often an internal cleaning (haze) and a focusing relub.......

I found haze in my copy made in Singapour not metal one, serial N* 10.xxx.xxx.

First in the front face of the second frontal element and now in the internal face of the last element of the rear group.

Any experience or information of the haze in your copies?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 5:20 am    Post subject: Rollei CZ Planar 50 1.8 Reply with quote

recently acquired a rollei SL 35 with what purports to be a made-in-germany carl zeiss planar 50/1.8 (will post s/n when i have the lens handy)... regardless of where it's actually made, the initial results (haven't had opportunity to use it much as yet) look pretty good to me, i think it may be joining me on my next holiday, if we ever have holiday again

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, we all hope for a holiday in the future.
Excellent lens. Told you it was good Smile
Tom

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 5:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Rollei CZ Planar 50 1.8 Reply with quote

benadamx wrote:
recently acquired a rollei SL 35 with what purports to be a made-in-germany carl zeiss planar 50/1.8 (will post s/n when i have the lens handy)...

Your pics are very good. Thanks for sharing

Today I have acquired another planar rollei s/n 12.xxx.xxx

IT has different coated than my s/n 10.xxx.xxx.

Will see how is both performers.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 7:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Rollei CZ Planar 50 1.8 Reply with quote

benadamx wrote:
recently acquired a rollei SL 35 with what purports to be a made-in-germany carl zeiss planar 50/1.8 (will post s/n when i have the lens handy)...

just checked, S/N is 5.XXX.XXX ... is that solidly german?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 10:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Rollei CZ Planar 50 1.8 Reply with quote

benadamx wrote:
benadamx wrote:

just checked, S/N is 5.XXX.XXX ... is that solidly german?

There are lenses with s/n 5.5xx.xxx made in germany and without HFT letters in the front ring

Some with s/n 5.6xx.xxx have been watched with HFT in the front ring.

Some collectors told me that the HFT lenses were made, generally, un Singapour.

If you can post pics of the lens, perhaps should be more easy to know of it is a Germán one.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2020 12:27 am    Post subject: Re: Rollei CZ Planar 50 1.8 Reply with quote

papasito wrote:
If you can post pics of the lens, perhaps should be more easy to know of it is a Germán one.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2020 2:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Rollei CZ Planar 50 1.8 Reply with quote

benadamx wrote:
papasito wrote:

As easily we can see in the #2, it's a Germán made lens.

IT's has better mechanical but the same optical scheme than the newer Singapore made lenses

Some users said that they had not seen any difference in the rendering of both planar lenses., the german and Singapore made ones.

Only coated differences

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2020 11:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Rollei CZ Planar 50 1.8 Reply with quote

papasito wrote:
Some users said that they had not seen any difference in the rendering of both planar lenses., the german and Singapore made ones.

I confirm, I haven't noticed any difference in optical resolution or image character. That might be that the German version flares a bit less directed towards halogen light in dark. But even that is not certain.

Benadamx, we'll certainly have holidays. But they are already designed to be held in safe mode, like in those italian projects

We'll have no autofocus issues, as we shoot manual. Although I presume, we would consider special lenses to shoot better through abberations of plastic surfaces.

Do you have ideas which lens design may fit?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 1:11 am    Post subject: Re: Rollei CZ Planar 50 1.8 Reply with quote

alex ph wrote:

I confirm, I haven't noticed any difference in optical resolution or image character. That might be that the German version flares a bit less directed towards halogen light in dark. But even that is not certain.

Besides some minor outer modifications (4 different versions) the used material and construction is always the same.
The only difference is that early production units like this German made lens isn't HFT coated as otherwise it would be marked on the front ring.
All Singapore made lenses are HFT coated irrespective of markings. There are no Zeiss marked lenses made in Singapore; however, sometimes the front ring is changed but that is fake.
This Planar/Ultron (marked Zeiss, Rollei, Voigtländer, Opton or Ifbagon) was produced as from 1970 by Zeiss/Oberkochen, starting 1972 by Voigtländer/Braunschweig and as from 1973 by Rollei/Singapore.

This information comes from the Rollei Report No. 4 by Claus Prochnow issued in German only 1997 in Braunschweig.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thomas, thank you for your precision. I suppose, even in early German version the coating is really similar to HFT, as the IQ is simply identical.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alex ph wrote:
Thomas, thank you for your precision. I suppose, even in early German version the coating is really similar to HFT, as the IQ is simply identical.

Indeed, this doesn't mean that non-HFT versions are uncoated. IMHO are coatings for photography with digital cameras not that important compared to usage with film.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The zeiss made lenses have the current zeiss coating for the time or one special "ad hoc" for rollei lenses?

And the Voigtlander's plant made?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

papasito wrote:
The zeiss made lenses have the current zeiss coating for the time or one special "ad hoc" for rollei lenses?

And the Voigtlander's plant made?

Yep, the Zeiss made lenses have the regular coatings of that time. HFT was a joint development with Rollei and was used by Zeiss later on as T* coatings.
Same is true for the lenses made under licence at the Voigtländer plant. These lenses are Rollei branded instead of Zeiss.
ALL Voigtländer branded versions are HFT coated.
In practice you won't notice any differences as Alex has already confirmed. I don't own any non-HFT versions but I'm rather convinced that Alex is right.