Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Schneider-Kreuznach Apo-Componon HM 4.5/44mm
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 7:34 am    Post subject: Schneider-Kreuznach Apo-Componon HM 4.5/44mm Reply with quote

Does anyone have any info on this lens? I can hardly find a mention anywhere. I'd specifically like to know the flange focal distance at infinity. Thanks

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 7:45 am    Post subject: Re: Schneider-Kreuznach Apo-Componon HM 4.5/44mm Reply with quote

Alba wrote:
Does anyone have any info on this lens? I can hardly find a mention anywhere. I'd specifically like to know the flange focal distance at infinity. Thanks

It is a lens made for a darkroom enlarger and a very good one for that purpose.
You will need a bellows or a focusing helicoid to use this on a digital camera.
Tom

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 7:57 am    Post subject: Re: Schneider-Kreuznach Apo-Componon HM 4.5/44mm Reply with quote

Oldhand wrote:

It is a lens made for a darkroom enlarger and a very good one for that purpose.
You will need a bellows or a focusing helicoid to use this on a digital camera.
Tom

Thanks Tom. I've had success using enlarger lenses for landscapes with the Rodenstock Rodagon Apo N 50, 80 and 105mm lenses. I'm using a Cambo Actus and I would be pushing the limits with this focal length to focus at infinity.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know this one, but tracking down what the designation 'HM' means might point you in the direction of their particular selling point.

John Jovic records an Apo-Componon HM 4.0/45 with a flange focal distance at infinity of 42.4mm. But no 4.5/44.

http://www.photocornucopia.com/1061.html

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HM is "high modulation" which I have been meaning to ask Klaus about. The Apo componon HM are schneider 's very best enlarger lenses. You can still buy them new, if you have the money.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sciolist wrote:
I don't know this one, but tracking down what the designation 'HM' means might point you in the direction of their particular selling point.

John Jovic records an Apo-Componon HM 4.0/45 with a flange focal distance at infinity of 42.4mm. But no 4.5/44.

http://www.photocornucopia.com/1061.html

Aye, I've looked in all the usual places but the specs for this lens cannot be found.

jamaeolus wrote:
You can still buy them new, if you have the money.

I don't, sadly!

Thanks both.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Apo Componon 4.5/44mm has been used in scanners. Obviously something for industrial applications.

S

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevemark wrote:
The Apo Componon 4.5/44mm has been used in scanners. Obviously something for industrial applications.

S

Thanks. Well, I took a gamble and bought one today. I'll post a few pics in a few days time

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alba wrote:
stevemark wrote:

S

Thanks. Well, I took a gamble and bought one today. I'll post a few pics in a few days time

I came across this on Flikr…

"APO-Componon HM
These are 6-element, 4-group apochromatic enlarger lenses, using high-modulation glass elements,
designed for critical color rendition and precision industrial applications."

Funnily enough, no mention of your 4.5/44.

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2022 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alba wrote:
stevemark wrote:

S

Would love to see your pix of and with this lens - the 44/4.5 was a new one for me, too. Do you still have it? Perhaps you measured the FFD?

Last edited by 16:9 on Mon May 30, 2022 9:44 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2022 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

'Apo' seems to have been added pretty randomly: HM is the more reliable badge of quality. Not too far from this focal length there's even a Componon-S HM 50/2.8.

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2022 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Incidentally - if you don't still have the lens, can I get your permission to reproduce this image in the DeltaLenses.com catalogue?
Thanks.